How is the PvP?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Salohcin, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I did raise my skills to 200 in that boss fight event, to counter Chris when I examined his hp, then it all got silly =) Believe me, I usually set my skills comparable to the people I'm fighting. I've been playing quite a lot with active pvpers, learning deck strategies and attending how-to's. Right now I'm running around with about650-850 hps and only 19 gms (to fight against the likes of Alexander John, Kor, Sillis, Para, Jack Pirate, Corp Por etc.) I'm not just gming everything and nuking people when I actually put playtime in the game. I'm pretty interested in current deck strategies and balances and imbalances, as well as keenly aware of what's lacking in the open world pvp spaces (Blood Bay especially) and how those play out.

I totally understand what you're saying as far as PvP not being accessible unless you're end-game statted. What I think would alleviate the problem, or fill in the gap as-it-were, is something along the lines of battlegrounds or separate maps with objectives or teams where people are grouped based on adventure level? It could even been a score-kept free for all. Tying a skill-based combat system (meaning player skill not skill-use, which ours is also) with a game involving characters with different stats is always going to be a huge challenge. I don't think WoW even shipped with battlegrounds in place. So far my favorite system has been Guild Wars 2, in their 5-man team battle maps, where everyone's character had max stats and the same gear available to them... but that is starting down the road of what I personally think PvP in an mmo should be.

I know Chris has plans for PvP, but doesn't want to publicly promise anything for obvious reasons. I definitely hear you, and we probably agree on a lot more than we don't. For now, I'm working on more open PvP maps, and working with the team to make them attractive places worth people's time.

Anastasia, Womby, Cordelayne and 8 others like this.
  2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Love this, wow did have wsg and av.. i tottaly love the bg concept with goals i.e. capture the flag or hold a node type things.

Also those based of adl is the way to go in addition to the open world pvp currently in game. Id suggest the bg type stuff cater to the casual pvp.. no gear loss just plain REPEATABLE fun.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

@Vas Corp Por , I just really want to thank your responses and commentary here on the forums. Its like a breath of fresh air. Its rare we get dev input here. ☺☺

4. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

that's not entirely true.

but I can agree with with the sentiment :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely NOT the case... o_O One of my other guildmates also noticed this sudden drop in level when he typed /stats :eek: (He wasn't wearing a Necklace of Civility and did not have a + 5 level Adventurer level blessing either and just checked his level a few days before... :)) Anybody else notice this? Really odd...:confused:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Also forgot to mention @Ancev He's been super helpful too the last few months and a good guide/teacher for PvP newbs.

7. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Thanks man. Hoping I can contribute to a fun and competitive PvP environment as well as contribute to other content and systems in the game. Always up for duels, general pvp, and helping newer players figure out the deck system! Can't wait to see how this game evolves over time as more depth is added.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    2112Starman likes this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

If thats a measure good luck to get people into pvp.
    Sorry to say that, but for "normal" players who do not just strive every second in an optimal way ("exploit" the system) this is too much.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The main reason I won't PVP now is that month where anyone who was flagged for PVP for a 25% xp bonus. I will never catch up. That was the big sign from Port to me.

19 weapon/armour GM's just to be competitive? wow.

@Vas Corp Por

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Depends on where you want to compete? Without Guild Wars, Sieges etc the usefulness for casuals is ZERO in a sandbox without sand.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I know what you want to say but even with this their need many adjustments to Friendlist, Nearby Players and such.
    The World and most scenes are to small for that.
    Or they need level Restrictions for Scenes if you are flagged, but then it's not very sandboxy.

12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Most scenes are big enough for around 20 people. SotA is small scale anyway. They should focus on 8vs8 guild battles... you could even make the sieges in seperate scenes where multiple teams fight 8vs8.... All is possible as long as it doesn't break the sandbox.

A game I played had it like that. Depending on the size of your guild you build your base, castle to different levels.
    At max level you needed around 64 people to defend it and it could be attacked by a max of 64 people. Fights took place in different zones with different objectives. There was also PVE involved as preparation for the siege etc.

Problem is I don't see any of it here, because they constantly keep picking only very very low hanging fruit and are not really in development mode anymore for features that would be necessary IMHO.

NUE destroyed most high level players hope we get content increasing the longevity of the game anytime soon. We halved the player base already... I don't see them come back because the tutorial area looks better.

Ice Queen and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Time will tell.
    The concept you mentioned sounds interesting.
    My biggest concern is grind and balance.
    I don't want to put this much prep for PvP. Or let's say I wouldn't focus on to just be able to PvP or competable in PvP.

14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well that's why they implemented it that way. If you were no PVPer you would join a group that needs to do PVE for the siege.
    If you can fight you enter the group for defense or attack. Of course of your char will always matter. It was a sandbox after all.

Like I said small guilds would battle each other for the low level keeps, large guilds would not bother with them. Each guild only can have one castle in that game, so this stops overextending. But like I said no concept exists for SotA... it is all in the dark and I doubt we see any useful Sandbox content in this game until after release.. or they can afford to push back release another year. I don't think another kickstarter will be successful unless they really low-ball it with like 1 mio. or so... But they couldn't even implement they promises for EP1 properly.. There are no PVP guilds tags, and the guild war concept is a joke in this game.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Gloria Victis?
    @Vallo Frostbane

Tryed GV some month ago, was nice to one shot mobs from 100m while running with a bow :D
    But there was no such PvP related PVE, but was a good concept in the beginning, just didn't follow it anymore.

16. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Obvious reasons . . . . as in he's waiting until there are only 10 pvp'ers interested enough in the game to still be here?

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

This made me laugh so hard ^^

Ravicus Domdred and Abydos like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And it did make me laugh as well but for another reason probably;). True it is disheartening for anyone, me included at times, when a feature or some feature does not get the attention I think it should.

Also if I think the team is not going to add in or change something I personally think would be a game breaker without it, then that worries me for the game's success.

The thing that keeps me going since 2013 to fight for this game is realizing that no matter how I think it is, it is speculation. Whatevever I think and if I try to forecast the future, that is all it is speculation not having facts of what really will happen along the way.

The best I can do for this game is to not ever, ever give up on it as long as I can contribute I will.

If someone out there has ideas, given the game we so far have, that will make a better game for all concerned parties, then all the debates in the world won't make it happen imo.

So People who have gotten things added to the game, such as the music system, the Aether vibrator radio, the SOTA map in game (still in process), changed to use based system, and more were such people fighting for the game.

If someone has a system or convincing idea and is undeterred, it is possible to get ideas implemented under certain circumstances. Especially if those are proven to work, compelling, effective, and valid ideas. If they are don't give up. What I've seen is sometimes it is not the right time in development, but later may be. No does not always stay no. ;)

Some just want to discuss why they think the game will fail and get agreement, I am not pointing fingers, just sayin, don't give up, find the opportunities for this game. There is still lots of time, 5 episodes Infact to make so much happen;). PvP included it should be the best this game can handle. I know there are talented and genuinely creative people out there, I just know it;) *Cheers*

chuck5086 and CatherineRose like this.
  19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Doesn't change the fact it's still missing core features and so is horribly bad ;) I think most of the PVP enthusiasts are not playing anymore, and those that still discuss here seem to have the opinion its useless to discuss or pitch any ideas, as Portalarium failed to ever comment on those and never told us their plan on what we can expect to be in EP1.

Edit: Never is wrong... @VasCorpPor once talked to us... but he is not in charge ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Ravicus Domdred and Cordelayne like this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have 10 GM's (adv lvl 92) and placed 4th in Virtue League last season even with half of it being still bludge focused and the second half earth focused. Although @Vas Corp Por has never challenged me to PvP, he must like fighting death mages :)

But I think things start evening out with the top tier players starting at around adv lvl 95. Im 2 levels away right now and I think I'll be able to in the least given them good runs even though they know my build.

Yet, I still have had no interest in open PvP in this game as it is designed today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.