How is the PvP?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Salohcin, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

2. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

The PvP is fun. You get a +25% adventuring XP bonus (accelerated character advancement). The penalty for being slain is very weak. You loose a body trophy ( head, hand, etc), one equipable item from your inventory, and one non-equipable. If you are slain, you can buy back your items for a price determined by the game. Ransoms I was offered were 500 -1000 gold. I haven't payed a ransom so far because the items i lost were not worth it (fingers crossed).

I don't see why everyone ins't flagged. It makes the game way more exciting, you get to meet active players, eventually you can make gold off of it, and its so much more dynamic than fighting AI.

The system is in need of a lot of love which is coming in this development quarter.

3. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I forget your in-game name.. I'm down to duel! I'm sure you'll win =P

4. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

First Rule in PVP :

KNOW YOUR OPPONENT!

Ancev likes this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

[​IMG]
    Vas Corp Por is List Rostov... just sayin :D

2112Starman and majoria70 like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

My question is: Why does people quitting mean never coming back? I have seen people leave and come back so often. It is just part of this process. And also IMO it is only a courtesy that they talk to us much at all. Usually it ends in abusive comments. If this game really gets what it needs across the board and not just PvP people will come back in groves. The word will get out. It has been really sad to me because a good friend I have played so many games is not here with us, but I just cannot say come back again because what he wants is not here yet and he is very grumpy and impatient ;). I say it is way to soon to give up on this game. Let's continue the fight for it and get lots of constructive in that wows the Devs ;)

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Starman.

Im not so sure anymore since the Earth nurf. In fact I tried to skate through the last 3 weeks (didnt even fight) of Virtue League mostly because I didn't think I could compete after the nurfs and though I could slide into 3rd place.

8. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Majoria, you just amaze me. Your effervescent, ever ready optimism just astounds me. As someone who has followed your posts and is mostly at the complete opposite end of the spectrum (hence my name :) ) from you on purpose, I give you major, major props for the works and efforts you have done to be a constant positive, encouraging, and most importantly, inclusive voice in these forums. Sadly, my patience, temperament, and faith has not reached the maturity of yours. In my mind, you have REPEATEDLY by your actions (which are the only true measurements in life) demonstrated yourself as a model to follow to live a peaceful, fun, and optimistic life and just from my exposure to your posts here in these forums, you have changed me in little ways, and have made me a better person in spite of my efforts to resist it. You must be a joy and a blessing to your family and friends, and anyone who is fortunate enough to share some real moments with you in the blink of time that is our lives, has surely been in the purest presence of grace, maturity, and beauty. You know how i am, I don't say these things lightly.

Having said that, now i'm gonna have to ask you a hard question. Please forgive me, and please know that I do it with the utmost respect, wonderment, and joy that you have unexpectedly made an impact on me, which so rarely happens. :)

So here's the scenario:

When you were young, you met someone wonderful who excited you and taught, gave, and showed you wonderful things. For 30+ years, you have wonderful (albeit not always easy or perfect) experiences together and then by no fault of your own, that is no longer available to you. The emptiness and longing you feel, doesn't seem to be quenched by any other means. Years later, that person comes back into your life with even grander promises than what had already been proven in the past. Of course you jump right back in, expecting great and wonderful things on an even grander scale.

But this time, something is a little different. This time, you are asked to pay the way. Well, no problem, it's always been mostly wonderful, and you expect nothing less, so you eagerly cash in the 401k and say, let's go. But then, things just don't seem right. All those secretive messages, not being where you expected them to be at certain times, you don't get to see the bills that you are paying for......you start to question things, but you think, 'nah, it must just be me, i'm just not seeing it right.' So you double down, sell your house to have more money to make it better, and go right on down the path to happiness. But somehow, that happiness just continue to elude you, you take wonderful walks on the beach, but there's no meaningful heartfelt conversation. You ride in fancy cars, but they only go 35 m.p.h., you eat in expensive restaurants, but all the food is stale and bland.

You turn to your partner, your lifelong spark of love, excitement, and adventure, and as your eyes plead for understanding, the words coming from their mouth just add to the confusion, or yet even worse, they are just silent and un-reacheable. Now it starts to go downhill. The friends you used to hang with, suddenly aren't around anymore. Everytime you mention you know who, or that other person, they give you 'that' look. You start to talk to your friends, worried about the future, but somehow, all your group messages on your phone just keep getting deleted.

Time passes, the money is running out, you are running out of options, well, because life is short. You have to make some decisions, and every time you ask about the future, nothing he offers answers any of the problems of the present.

At what point do you realize that the past is gone, the present isn't working for you, and you have no hope or faith in the future?

At what point do you have to stop paying those bills so that you can build your own house again?

I love you Majoria, for the wonderful, great example of kindness you are. I wish I could be more like you and believe.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  9. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

The pain and heartbreak of reaching the emotionally spiritual point of leaving precludes coming back. I might be wrong once, but i'll be damned if i'll be wrong twice.

Ravicus Domdred and Cordelayne like this.
  10. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

This is exactly NOT what we are talking about. Battlegrounds etc are what people should be using to train because they really, really want to go fight the big fights. It's really, really simple and I just don't understand why the premise seems to completely elude so many. **spoiler alert** Put some item of value in a pvp scene, and people will fight over it. Period. That's how it works. People didn't go to champ spawns in UO for the fun of fighting, people went to champ spawns for profit, fighting was just a very fun benefit of what you had to do to win.

Here's what I think is a very very easy example of a win-win-win pvp possibility. Tell me what you think.

The relationship between the pvp crowd and the non pvp crowd is symbiotic and often misunderstood and abused. We NEED both groups in this game to make it successful, as they complement each other in the economy, the story line, and other areas, yet all they seem to do is hate each other and complain about each other and fight with each other in game and on the forums.

We already have pvp zones. Pick one or rotate between them , place an object (book, scroll, object related to the story-line, whatever) somewhere well hidden, but findable within it. As long as the object is inside the scene, It auto-drops to the ground upon a player's death if they are carrying it and while you can stealth around to find it, you cannot stealth while it is in your possession. Once someone successfully finds it, they have a marker (glow around them or different colored name tag ) so everyone can see who has it. Once someone successfully leaves the scene with it, it is safely secured. The item has a varying value of say . . 100K-500k gold, BUT, here's the good part . . . in the mouseover context box, it has a list of 5 random towns and the value on it. One is a NPC town (perhaps tied to the rotation of the sieges?) and the other 4 are random PoTs. The item is like a cash voucher that can only be spent on vendors in one of the towns listed. As you spend, the face value on it goes down until gone. At the end of a week, (or at the rotation of the sieges) the names of the towns on the voucher change so it can affect a greater number of players. At the end of a month the item goes *poof* if it hasn't been used. That way no one can stockpile them as wealth, and the 'reward' from the pvp battle directly affects/benefits crafters and businessmen so the non-pvp crowd doesn't feel like free candy is being handed out in areas where they don't feel they can or want to compete, but sincerely want pvpers to participate in, so that lots of gold is being spent on player's vendors. Not to mention (as it expands over time), the enticement of drawing normally non-pvp'ers but daring adventurers into sneaking around trying to find it, hoping for that mad dash to an exit before they are discovered or can be caught. The strategizing involved in small groups and large groups fighting first just trying to find it, and secondly trying to escape with it. My heart's pumping just thinking of it, and it doesn't even exist in game. Respawn the item in same or different pvp zone 30 mins after it leaves the zone.

It's not perfect, but theoretically, how logistically easy would that be to implement without negatively affecting any current story-line or design, yet how impactful would that be on pvp, crafting, the economy, bringing paying players into the game, and BUILDING ON instead of tearing down that quality symbiotic relationship we all really need, we just don't know it?

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes it is a roller coaster ride this is for sure. I am just like everyone else in that it is emotional and heart wrenching at times, but I'll be damned if I am going to give up on this game. So this is where I will differ from some. ;) I do not say I don't have sympathy for the pain and heartbreak we all experience with our time, money, and emotions invested in this game. Believe me I very much do have that. ;) I don't think the ride is over yet so I will definitely not jump off ;)

Lord Baldrith, Grumpy and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Simply because of this Statement made by the Dev team about items in PvP zones . . . . .

"But once the game is launched, players who want absolutely nothing to do with PvP will never find a need to enter them. The only items that would be exclusive to those areas are those which would only benefit a PvPer."

kaeshiva and Womby like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ahhh thanks, what a beautiful and honest write up Grumpy. You are a true Grump, just kidding and of course I don't want to spoil your image lol. ;) Well one thing I can say if it will make sense and it is just my way of thinking ok. I like many of you out there have had my share of disappointment and disillusion. And for me I use to have the ways of thinking it must be something wrong with me, like I should have known how to make it better. So I began the regiment of training courses and growth and development courses, years and years of them in fact, lol to fix myself. In the end what I found out was..................*drum roll*...................I made it all up. I said those things about myself, my own perception had destroyed so many relationships along the way in my life or at least hurt them. It was not the truth unless I say it is. ;) I became the picture I had of myself in my mind.

So this is a belief system I have picked up along the way that helps me to let go of things. It is not automatically a human way to let go of things and I am by no means perfect at it. So how that plays out in being here is that I believe we are all more powerful in creating a life we love and a game we love than we know. ;)True the past is gone and a new door has opened and do we go into it? hmmm and if we keep doing what we always do, do we keep getting what we always get, well perhaps it may just look a bit different. ;) And if the past is truly gone why is it determining our outlook right now, hmm ;). Gone would mean a fresh start and freedom to be ;). So I am not here to be right and I am often times not right and misinformed, but if so please feel free to correct me for the validity of important statements. and a major derail to a Pvp thread.

I truly wish the solution to be found regarding Pvp to be something really fun to do in Shrouds and I have faith in you all and the Devs that you will find it ;) ok and I will share a thought and let you all get back to it ;)
    [​IMG]

Lord Baldrith and Grumpy like this.
  14. Dhanan

Dhanan Avatar

Yeah, SOTA's implementation of PvP sucks hard.

15. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I think that response of mine was a different conversation, there's also a lot of people talking to different points.

I like this idea, a lot. There might be a couple game-able loopholes but nothing insurmountable. We've been talking today a lot about similar systems to implement within The Fall, whether on release of The Fall or functionality to be added later.

"But once the game is launched, players who want absolutely nothing to do with PvP will never find a need to enter them. The only items that would be exclusive to those areas are those which would only benefit a PvPer." - I think his idea skirts around this as it's really just a gold voucher and not an item with functionality that can only be found in a PvP zone.

Thanks for the constructive ideas! Really, I mean it. Also keep in mind when I'm responding to threads like this:
    1. I've only been on the team 7 months or so.
    2. I make maps. I have pages of my own ideas for PvP, but I don't code or implement design of this scope (though we throw ideas back and forth freely with those who do, especially when creating new zones)
    3. Look at my forum avatar. Look at it =)

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

"But once the game is launched, players who want absolutely nothing to do with PvP will never find a need to enter them. The only items that would be exclusive to those areas are those which would only benefit a PvPer."

This is a very important sentiment, and we are seeing that already - it is not the case.
    Personally, I think giving a PvE experience bonus to being flagged PvP is pure silliness; most of the people you see flagged aren't interested in PvP they are interested in the xp bonus. What we need is a way to get people actually interested in PvP, not force PvErs to partake in order to not get essentially what amounts to an experience penalty.

There have been hundreds of suggestions on things to add to PvP zones that would benefit PvP only - like a resource used to add effects to gear that only work for pvp, for one example. Putting things in PvP zones that are desirable to PvErs just creates a problem and creates more arguments and goes direclty in violation of the above sentiment about no forced pvp. Adding things to PvP zones that PvErs want means that PvErs will be forced to go in there (or pay exorbidant prices); so again you have a scenario where someone is in the shardfall or the ruins NOT because they want to PvP but because they want the (whatever shiny thing is there) and are hoping like hell to do it when nobody's around and, if confronted, probably can't muster much of a fight. Is that really the kind of PvP you want? Killing weaker, non-interested targets who were just trying to go about their business? I sure don't.

cartodude and Alley Oop like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Unfortunately there are those who do want that.

Alley Oop and Stundorn like this.
  18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Some month ago i argued hard about what i understand from what 'consensual PvP ' is and that i feel locked out of content, because i am forced flagged when visiting Ruins and Shardfalls.
    And visiting those scenes for me are interesting because of RP.
    I haven't visited them until.
    2 times i was in K'rul with a group and ran through BB.
    I even cannot stand any T5 Zone alone.
    Actually i RP my weakness and never would go alone into a PvP Zone or flag myself, although i would really want to implement that into my Style to play.
    RPvX instead of just RPvE.
    I accept that compromise for now and have hope they will change the system.

I dont want to skill trees only for resistance.

Caps would help me to create a competetive Char one time, maybe not capping skills, but trees you can choose from.

Some day i will visit Ruins and Shardfalls and it need not to turn out it's not dangerous, but i want to have a chance as somebody who try to build a Roleplay Character who's no Elementarist, no Fire-Death-Air-Life-Earth-Sun-Ice Mage.

If somebody is a good Archer or a good Fighter or the better Mage, a specialist of it's realm i wont be misery if he beats me.

Actually PvP need too much of everything.

I dont want to say grind is too much anymore.
    Then it takes the time it needs to build up and everybody goes at his own pace.

But balance please!

19. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

I have seen this first hand and it's not fun for both sides. I want people in a pvp zone who want to fight.
    However if you are in a pvp zone you signed up for whatever happens. It may not be sporty but at the end of the day this only reason someone kills another player is because *they can*
    I've seen pve players in pvp zones before naked or in undropable gear. It doesn't do anything for some pvpers. I say this due to some folks that will kill anyone they see on sight. I find it wrong to kill someone who has no chance of fighting back 90% of the time (AFK = FREE GAME )

If you come into a pvp only zone and get mad that someone attacks you, don't go into that zone. Pvp zones are not for power farming in peace. If put crafting resources in a zone like that I can see why it may have a few more of whatever mining nod. Unlike peaceful PVE Farming people can and WILL mess with you in a pvp zone. It just feels wrong when someone strong enough to fight back just chooses not to. All because they just want to resources not the fight for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.