How or where to go to cut trees and what do you need ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Odyssey2001, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I find it interesting when I went to the information page on Smitty and Raxxus its the same person. hrmm

2. Smitty

Smitty Legend of the Hearth

You're close, he's my brother who lives in another state.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, it's been discussed... SotA uses a different technology than UO did. Each node needs to be created seperatly here, so each node works independent and can spawn dynamically... For example: they create 50 nodes in a scene, but only 25 of those nodes spawn at any one time... The nodes will appear to spawn in different places and until you start chopping a tree, the spawn doesn't start. They are doing it to combat scripting, which was a real problem in UO...

I tried my best... above...

This is a different design model, putting nodes in Town could be exploited too easy... Nothing in SotA is "rare" everything is crafted, and it's hard to gather the resources to mass produce anything... You have a better chance to gather resources in PvP zones, but it's just higher yields, not different resources... Yes, Botting is like scripting, you write a small program that repeats your last movements/actions and you run the program non-stop for a few days... You basicly stand at one tree or mining spot and it keeps chopping or mining until it respawns, and over the course of a few days you have all the wood or iron you'll ever need... And you didn't do anything but watch your program run...

5. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Verdantis Shardfall ( I dont think its in the vale but it has a lot of trees )

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

From a design standpoint (as opposed to a strictly technical limitation), you also have to consider the side effects of being able to cut down any tree: mainly how to re-spawn trees without having the player noticing it.

Limiting it to small trees is easier to suspend your disbelief and argue that the tree regrew (very fast) which is further supported by the idea that they re-spawn in different areas... so never technically the same tree that regrew. It also allows the larger trees to be recognizable.

From a RP standpoint, cutting down large trees to craft arrows and chairs is somewhat silly.

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I spent some time yesterday in the West Veiled Swamp in SE Novia. I was the only one there, so by the time I went through, everything had respawned. I finally had to leave because I was overencumbered, even though there were trees all around me begging to be cut down. There were loads of trees and other resources there, if you don't mind crocodiles, skeletons and spiders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.