Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How sieges should work

Discussion in 'Release 37 Feedback Forum' started by Aldo, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Sieges should only work in MPO, and this is how they should work IMO.

When you are on the overland and get to an NPC town entrance, there should be a chance that the town is under siege. If the town is sieged, then you will get two choices. Enter the town normally (no siege) or enter the siege. Inside the siege scene you get the catapults and mobs at the town entrance. Behind them is the town with mobs (perhaps in waves) skulking down the streets. It is up to the players to clean the place out after bridging the entrance. Increasing difficulty mobs may appear as the easy targets get wiped out. Perhaps the finale will have a few mini bosses. The siege town will continue to be occupied until the last mob is laid to rest. At that time, back on the overland, scene entry will be changed back to normal (one entry gimp). Somewhere else on the map will then randomly be chosen as the siege town. Who knows where it will be?

This kind of siege is good because it will encourage multiplayer, it will encourage travel to remote locations, and it will be fun.

Lazlo likes this.
  2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm all for anything that would reduce the number of double zone speed bumps. I'm really tired of all the zoning in and out of scenes that I'm not interested in.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This can't happen. There are a lot of reasons why, but the summarized version is that if MPO is siege mode and SPO/Friends mode is convenience mode, then it's not going to balance. If SPO/Friends Mode didn't have a direct economic connection then yeah sure we could do that. But because they're tied at the hip you can have your risk ala carte.

It doesn't mean that the siege system is working well now, it's not. It just means that we can't have an expectation where we opt out of it, even in MPO which is another part of what you're suggesting.

The fact of the matter is, sieges have significant end game impact. Why are towns being sieged? Is it random? (Spoiler: No it's not) Eventually when a town is sieged the NPC shop owners will STOP WORKING and go hide somewhere. I believe even player vendors will no longer function. So "skipping" into the town isn't really going to help anyone anyway. You really have to start thinking in terms of how we stop the siege.

This game isn't designed to be a complete casual MMO or Single Player experience. That's why the NPC's go to sleep at night. That's why prices change in NPC shops based on supply and demand. That's why they want a regional economy (of which we have seen probably less than 5% of what's been talked about). That's why travel is restricted (and will probably become a lot more restricted by launch).

Sieges are annoying right now, I agree. But just removing the time and restrictions is not the answer. The next iteration of town sieges needs to center around making the sieges more fun and meaningful. I'd like to see new siege mobs and new interesting loot dropped so that "most" players will be running to the scenes and be upset when they end. Long term however there's all kinds of things we could do to make these scenes better. We just need more time.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  4. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

My take on sieges is .. it's taking encounter griefing to the next level. Instead of just forced double zoning, now we cannot enter cities.

Some people actually like the encounters, almost purely lower level players, and I'm sure a few will like sieges... but not me. I'd like to see encounters made optional or at the very least make them suffer the same terrain movement decrease I do when trying to circle around them.

I'd like to avoid the sieges too as they are of no interest to me and I think the OPs suggestion was a fine one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.