How to build a deck? Minimum number of Glyphs only?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Yipp, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

So I am starting the process of better understanding the Deck/Glyph system.

1. How many slots should be unlocked and why would you make a choice to lock them or not?
    (Yes I understand the benefits of cooldowns reduction) just want to understand peoples thinking.

2. How many Glyphs in a deck if the minimum is 15, to cycle through them you would want as close to 15 as possible right?

3. What skills should NEVER be used except in locked slot (any?)

Looking for advice as I explore the system making sure I understand fundamental concepts before learning bad habits based upon incomplete information.

Thank you

Acred, Zorro and FrostII like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that 15 minimum will increase as you level. i think it stops at 25.

Katrina Bekers and Acred like this.
  3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

At least personally, I go all or nothing with locked slots, because the biggest benefit of a draw deck is when you achieve an empty deck.
    What this means, is that lets say your deck is 25 cards.
    that's room for 6 cards with 4 copies each, and 1 mind lock (this spell prevents cards from decaying from your bar in draw mode by adding 20 seconds every cast).
    So, if you stack cards as they draw, eventually you'll end up with your 1 mind lock, and 6 cards, each in stacks of 4.
    Your deck is now empty, and you draw nothing.
    When you cast a spell, those 4 cards go back into your deck. Your deck now has 4 cards, which means the next card you draw is guaranteed the one you just cast.
    Likewise, lets say you need to heal. you cast your heal stack, now you start drawing heals and can just spam it before restacking it when you're done.

So it makes management a bit easier once you get in.

Acred and Fringe like this.
  4. helm

helm Avatar

Of course it all depends on your personal fighting style, there are quite a few workable strategies.

However I think it's important to note that there are actually three ways to configure a slot: 1) Locked, 2) unlocked, and 3) unlocked but with some glyphs pre-assigned to that slot. The last option is very powerful.

Some folks like locked slots. I personally use them only when learning a new skill, when the number of glyphs is only 1 - because it's very hard to train such a "scarce" skill without locking it.

Pre-assigned glyphs can be assigned to a specific slot, and they can even be stacked. Preassigned glyphs can appear elsewhere, but they will always appear first in that specific slot.

For example, my own "general purpose" archer deck (all unlocked) consists of having slots 1-5 preassigned to primary ranged attacks, slots 6-7 are totally empty and unlocked, slots 8-10 have been assigned with stacks of certain type of glyphs:
    • one slot stacked with combat defense/offense related glyphs;
    • one slot stacked with speed/escape/evasion related (dash/sprint/blink);
    • one can be either locked (for learning a new skill), completely unassigned, or stacked with things like mind wipe/mind lock.
    This allows for quick & easy attack glyph stacking even in the middle of the battle, and minimizes the need to pay attention to the combat hotbar.

As said, there are quite a few ways to construct a well working deck. I'd suggest experimenting with different strategies, until you find one that suits you.

5. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

Thank you for all the replies so far very helpful.

One thing I notice when trying to construct a deck is that I have some abilities which have a 18-20's + cooldown with a Buff that lasts 22-60 seconds. Currently I lock 4 of them I like to use in slots why? Because their buff lasts a long time and if I placed them in an unlocked slot (which would remove the cool down), how would I keep track of which buff I have applied at the moment? The Icons under my character are too small to quickly recognize which is which.

How do you handle this situation?

Acred likes this.
  6. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

Personally I'm finding that interchangeable skills (most of the attacks) work well as draw cards but skills that are life/time dependent (like heals and buffs) seem to be better Locked.

Even then I'm not crazy about the draw system, sometimes you just don't get enough of a certain skill (for me it's my ae or flaming weapon)

7. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

@Evilgamer
    I too am trying to get a handle on the best way to use the deck system. This includes combo's which I have yet to unlock (mostly because I do not have the right mix of abilities).
    The concept of the deck system is interesting and I do not want to say I do or do not think it is a winner yet, I think we players need more time and they developers need to figure out some of the rough edges.

I appreciate everyones feedback.

8. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I flat don't like the combo system. Having to hit 4 keys (or kill my wrist dragging ) to use one skill stinks.

Same goes for stacking. For the semi locked system they should self stack (maybe they do I don't know how to tell)

Kilhwch likes this.
  9. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    It's a bit weird. Having problems building a combo-based swordsman deck. Brain hurts.

Budner likes this.
  10. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

@Three Eighty-Six
    I am NOT even bothering with combos for two reasons.
    1. The system to make the combos work, drag on top or R+ keys etc... is too clumsy/difficult/awkward to do more than once or twice a battle. Sadly it is way to distracting as implemented.
    2. My skill selection does not provide many options on combos.

I think other classes may have it easier than sword for combo OR it just might require a build designed for it and with deeper skills.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

While having extra glyph will allow you to combine the identical glyph which increase damage output while reducing focus cost, I still find using single glyph multiple times more efficient unless I'm really low on the focus.

Baalice likes this.
  12. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    With my current setup, I seem to do better continual damage with static glyphs rather than having a deck laid out for combos. The combos don't even do a lot of damage as they take the average of the two glyphs used to execute it. With the additional disadvantage of having considerably more autoattack time instead of glyph spamming, I'd think it would be best if the combos did damage cumulative of their respective glyph levels to make them much more dangerous.

13. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Shoot me a tell in game, "The Balance" and, if you can, download teamspeak 3. I'll give you the info to connect when we talk in game. I'll walk you through the deck system, give you a basic setup you can play with and learn, and teach you how to modify it to reflect the goals of whatever you're trying to achieve.

I'll also give you instructions on how to test things so you can understand, from a factual standpoint how things work. This will eliminate the false information from previous builds, misinformed players, etc. because you will be able to see the mechanics in game yourself.

Warin, Freddy and Yipp like this.
  14. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

You can also create combos by simply holding down one key and clicking the other to stack them, this works much better with my keyboard setup. So if I have earth punch pop on the one key and earth punch pop on the two key, I simply hold down the one key and click the two key to stack them. I have actually gotten really fast at this and find it actually adds some depth.

I will say though, and other have also, that I tend to stack when mana is low since the biggest saving grace of combos seems to be mana reduction.

Snazz likes this.
  15. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I certainly don't want auto stacking. Sometimes the plan is to spam cast with 4 cards, instead of stacking.

Locking buffs is ok, but you get stronger effects, longer duration and lower focus from stack casts. If you have 3 buffs, assign one stack of 3 glyphs to the last 3 slots. Alternate the order.

I prefer to have static buff glyphs on my non-combat bar

Warin likes this.
  16. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

@TheBalance
    Thanks for your help! You are a great resource. Really helped me understand deck system better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.