Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How to check latency? The combat AI is spastic tonight

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by mithra, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mithra

mithra Avatar

Is there a way to see how well the client is talking to your servers? /debug doesn't show me a ping. My Internet connection is normal as per speedtest.net but maybe there is a problem tonight that's just affecting SOTA for me, I don't know.

I just left Greymark Forest because I felt it was unplayable, because the Elf Fighters and Archers seemed either too slow to decide where to run, or grossly overcompensated. I was watching some mobs do circles indecisively yards from my character, or hop through me in melee and never could seem to find their happy spacing. Backing up a little seemed to signal I was fleeing. I also watched a Elf Fighter stand yards away conducting melee attacks ( but failed to note whether I was taking damage at range ).

Anyway, this is the first night this has happened, and if you haven't change anything I have to assume it is lag.

It does bring some things to mind as feedback : the combat system can be awkward at times because I'm never really sure whether I'm facing an opponent, especially since my combat stance is one-foot-forward and I am rotated. I assume there is a cone of effectiveness on a given attack, and sometimes I feel like I waste my focus executing improperly aimed attack. I can see the utility of not having perfect knowledge in PVP, as it would lend to skill, and if someone tells me that's the idea I'll accept this. But as far as NPC combat, it would be helpful if they gauged and adjusted their distance from me a little better. Wolves especially : I believe I've mentioned earlier that they run right up underneath your legs so that you're straddling the mob and you don't know if you're swinging at it or 0.005 units BEYOND it and swinging the opposite direction. I can try to back up to proper sparring distance, and the mob thinks OH HE'S RUNNING and then jumps right back on my exact position.

I'll need to make a bug report, but while I'm thinking about it, I've noticed some of the combat modifiers don't seem to expire when they are supposed to, or have a problem with their timer. For example, I can have a Rend effect on me ( or at least, an active icon below my status bar ) and the countdown timer is going negative for almost a minute.

Aldo likes this.
  2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yep, I have been having the same problems today. I have never had lag before if that is the cause. With regards to mobs advancing too far towards me, this is a peeve of mine for quite awhile now. Bears especially, but lately more types of creatures are doing this. It is hard to tell if my attacks are connecting fully or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.