How to get past the "Graphics Look Dated" issue in no time flat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I think they'll definitely rework ALL the "old textured/placeholder" NPCs before launch. That's a must, this include vendors, and pretty much 80% of all NPCs we see in the world currently. A good example of what the re-work would look like is the new banker npcs, no?

2. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The story people aren't going to be impacted by the engine/graphics people. There may be some crossover between the level designers and those required to improve the graphics generally, but there are dedicated resources in the team for that sort of thing (e.g. the SFX guy).

There is an unofficial count in this thread I think. I do agree that this is important, my understanding is they're focussing on the story scenes for now (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think it's likely that all of scenes like Ulfheim/North Majestic Forest/North Naryad Pinelands will get uncloned in the next four months.

Mykll, Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Those are some good examples of poor graphic effects.

I don't know too much about how it works from the back end... Are these things that are global? Or scene by scene?

I noted you were in Fortus End.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am more on the side of seeing things completed before we add in all the new areas. I understand that there might be some that are related to the story so they needed to come in but I still see a reflection of the game Vanguard Saga of Hero's in my mind. So many places to go and not enough time to give the attention to them before the game got forced to release.

RIP Vanguard Saga of Hero's. It was such a waste.

I would love to see development take care of what is in the game already. All the areas that we could be seeing a caravan traveling that gives a few things to do in a scene, some tasks that are menial and some that are more involved and interesting.

Instead we get scenes that have great possibility but leave us feeling empty and wanting something, please just something. Graphics to me are not top priority. I have enjoyed many games with lesser graphics than we have.

Many things in this game are beautiful with wonderful textures and LOD and I'm sure more will be coming over the months but first and foremost to the development team stop and give us a complete game before release. (not meaning nothing can be embellished or added after that of course). The ongoing battle for things still missing to make this feel like a game will continue from me.

I would love to see in standup notes that someone is at least 'thinking'about fishing updates and agriculture updates. Like 'thinking' of more types of fish and quests and achievements that take us all over the world to catch interesting and rare fish. Perhaps what I'm saying is something that will take a few hours to implement but for me I would feel so much better to know that someone is at the very least 'thinking' about these things. I know originally this game was thought to be going in the direction that players would make their own content.

The thing is for this game that is not going to work. Yes players can be given tools to make their own content and yes we do have that already to some extent but it will not make a game. What it will make is a ton of disjointed efforts that will not bring in those players who want nothing to do with another stranger. Those who want to do their own thing. Those who come in without property. Those who don't want to join a guild and just want to see game content.

We have very little of that now and no clue that anything basic is being planned or that anyone is 'thinking' ahead and making notes on how that will look. We hear over and over 'not until release 2, 3, or later. Ok fine but is anyone making a note here and there about some cool things like content things.

Graphically we are good in my opinion for now and yes feedback is fantastic for the fixes along the way of course and 'old' scenes need work and to the team do not forget to go back to the old scenes to fix. *hint* *hint* Hidden Vale.

But fellow community Please rally with me for a game that has basic content to get our scenes alive with tasks, exploration incentives like in game achievements and even coto reward type quests or points toward earning before releasing this game.

IMO Start rewarding players for playing. To me at this development stage I cannot believe this forum is not alive with players yelling 'give us content'.

It frustrates me to see pages and pages of complaints but no plea for content. I understand we need the feedback too, but come on, expect more from this game and demand it.

Bring our scenes alive with caravans and npcs that need our help. Fill our scenes with discoveries and things to find that have purpose, risks, rewards, choices.

Climb to the top of a mountain and 'ding' you have discovered something or achieved something.

Things that make us want to travel the world other than grinding to get to the top of your skill level then what? It may be deco your home, your town but what then? It will be content but where is it? Please give a hint it will be there before release.
    @Lord British2 @DarkStarr @Lum the Mad @Devs @Berek
    edit

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Looks like Chris is working on graphics performance right now, and specifically, water effects.

He's also working on the "two-year plan" so hopefully that will lay to rest many concerns about what is or isn't planned for the game in the foreseeable future. Keyword being "hopefully".

(Also can anybody offer me the "quick tip" to see what my framerate is?)

MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Try typing /debug in chat. If you're using Steam it's also possible to enable a framerate counter in the overlay options.

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

The story example was only intended to drive home how much of a time crunch the team is under as a whole... July is only 2 weeks away.

While story implementation does not directly affect gfx staff, the overall amount of content to be added certainly does.

Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Most of these issues are back end or design. The water in the first shot isn't placed evenly or the designer forgot to add the marker for the shore so the shore effects didn't load, they also choose an odd color combination for water and river bed giving it that sickly blue appearance. The second shot is pure back end, dynamic objects don't get reflections, that house is a placed object, ergo it isn't as "real" as the trees next to it. Third shot is an issue with how SotA handles hills, I think your character has a box around them that detects the hill and moves you up the hill as you move forward, since the box is static, it moves you up even if when you are in mid step, causing you to levitate slightly which can be exaggerated by your shadow.

9. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

WOW you said exactly How I feel. Sadly, I am at the point of, no fun for me, grind, grind, grind, for what? what's the purpose? I don't PVP nor do I intend to .... So, what is there for me to do? I want to be able to explore the world and find treasures, new discoveries maybe, caves to explore that isn't in a PVP zone .... etc something besides grinding exp ....

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

YES!!! and RIP John Lennon and Nilson. We have many Rivers to cross to get this game released ;)

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  11. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

So, if I understand you correctly, much of what you pointed out could be fixed if/when the scene gets another pass..?

While it's true there are currently no story tie-ins to Fortus End, it does have the Spirituality devotional, is conveniently located near to Ulfheim, and also has some great duck hunting!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The river with the missing shore would be easy to fix, it's probably an oversight to begin with. The reflection will likely never be fixed as it would mean having to recalculate reflections on the fly which I doubt they want to invest it. The shadow issue can probably be fixed, but the underlying issue has been around forever so I'm not holding my breath.

13. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Making swimming look more realistic would be a big plus

Tracker and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

And Diving !:D!
    [​IMG]

Tracker, Aldo, Mykll and 2 others like this.
  15. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Yep - and diving/jumping into the water -- the swimming was actually the first thing that stood out to me back in November when I first started playing , which made the game feel like it was a work in progress - I remarked that it must be a placeholder for a better animation / effects.. that and jumping

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

If you want to see some awesome swimming, notch an arrow before entering the water. Avatars must be part duck.

Echondas, Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  17. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

They need to rework, A LOT of stuff.
    Are they going to do it, that's an another story.

Grimbone and Time Lord like this.
  18. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well said Kabalyero. There is always room for improvement (some characters, animations, etc) but overall graphics are not bad. Another topic is the art, but as we all know, the art is subjective.

Taking into account their priorities and possibilities, don't expect to see an entire art and tech team focusing on creating a super cool water shader. I would like to see these improvements too, but its not realistic to ask for them at this point. In fact, they are going to try to improve what they have, and not remove and take another new water shader from third-parties.

What's a priority? Performance optimizations, for example.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  19. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

[​IMG]

We've come a long way in terms of lighting/shaders. Textures improving as well. Seams need some love, but that's not a game-breaking priority. :)

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wow, look at those 2005 graphics! Lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.