How to increase Masterwork in crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moxiepilot, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

So my stats are sitting at zero, whixh means I'm doing it all wrong. How do you increase the masterwork skill tree stat? What do you need or have to do?

Drake Aedus likes this.
  2. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Masterwork things. Did you train the first masterwork skill in the tree?

Elwyn and Drake Aedus like this.
  3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Make sure you have enough experience in your pool. A percentage of the pool is applied to your skill stats while training. The more pool points you have, the more will be applied up to a point.

Drake Aedus and ldykllr like this.
  4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@moxiepilot
    AFAIK:
    1) First you need to learn it from a crafting trainer so it gets to 1
    2) Then you need
    a) weapons or armor of the masterwork you want to train (e.g. cloth or leather armor piece with max Dur >30)
    b) then per masterwork you need 5 silver ingots and
    c) the relevant Tool for the masterwork you wanna train (e.g. Tailoring Scissors)​

3) Go to the corresponding crafting table (e.g. Tailoring Station)
    put a and b on the table (in the crafting window)
    equip c
    click Craft and your masterwork skill should raise , if you have producer XP available

EDIT: for more infos about what effects masterwork can have please refer to http://sotawiki.net/sota/Masterwork

5. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

All of this is great information.

I'd add that master worked items must be player crafted (yes I know artifacts can be master worked, lets ignore that for now).

For power player levels of advice, definitely get a very large pool of crafting xp. Millions if possible. I think the cap on percentage used is around 4 million xp? Then buy yourself an Obsidian potion that accelerates your training. I don't remember the name, but it costs 1 gold COTO and can be purchased from Obsidian Alchemists. Then you will get the most bang for your crafting costs.

Nikko likes this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Firstly Understand you Exp Pool and Skill gaining - following incorrect information / understanding will not help

Each skill uses Exp point to gain levels. Skills below 80 use a set number of point i.e. each use uses specific number of points from your pool. This goes up as your skill goes up - NOW **** if your Exp Pool is Below a certain level 50K I thought the game works to make sure you can not take it to zero (pathetic mechanic) it does this by starting to calculate the # points added to your skill in relationship to #points in your pool **** i.e. if you Exp Pool is like 7000 and the skill needs yo use 50 point - not it only take 7% of the points needed so 50*.7 = 35 so now on a use your skill only goes up 35 points and lowers you pool only 35. This continues until your pool is at 1 - 1 and yes it can still go to Zero when you are working a skill that gains nothing. It still takes the same number of exp points to go up from one level to another but will take infinitely more skill uses as it ends up being like 1 point used per use. They should have let pools go to zero, to many player whined and said it was not a big deal. Obviously players do NOT understand how it works and fails to understand and manage their skills.

Understand you skills - the Exp Pool - Exp point earned / used per skill use to train an MANAGE YOUR EXP POOL.

I tell players try and keep 100K in Producer Pool (very difficult some times and almost impossible if you want to be plain old crafter) and 500k in Adv Pool. Insurance against some problems or issues decay and whatever else gets broken.

Elwyn and RationalSpark like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You can mw items found as loot and items bought from npcs as well.

Edit: I wouldn't waste ingots on them though. Your better off sticking to player crafted.

8. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

Well, TIL. I could have sworn the recipe says "crafted item"?

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Look when you are training the skill at lower level make items from Plain Leather - Metal - Wood, PLAIN Leather , Iron/ Copper, Maple/Pine then Master work it until it break, as each attempt uses the same amount of resources (LOL). This helps because if / when you succeed or get a Exceptional you get a Exp Pool Increase boost. At a level where items can actually start to have value or you get lucky and get good properties that a lower level player might be able to use or even an item to sell, hold on to it before last chance and sell or give away.

BTW at the lowest levels do not waste the resource on even making items up to like level 40 you can use as many found items as you can as you are going to just destroy them anyhow and save the resources to make the item for possible items you can get something back from - each and every attempt at Masterworking will use the exact same number of resources either way. No sense wasting the resources to make the item also.

You arte NOT going to get back even a 10th of the resources you are going to waste in training.

Elwyn, Nikko, Drake Aedus and 2 others like this.
  10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Weins has some really solid advice here. I use found objects whenever possible when training the skills up. I won't even masterwork on anything crafted until I know I'll be able to make things people will actually want to buy (level 70 or 80 masterwork is where you begin getting into that area, I think). Then I just set a reasonable price and hope that some of it is attractive. When you are able to do the item specific masterworks pretty well, like "Ranged Masterwork," that's when you really start making the attractive stuff.

11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Interesting, this I was not aware of.

Also I might add that for anyone training their masterworking skills it might be a good idea also to first quaff the mighty new Obsidian potion of guidance beforehand.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

With 5 episodes planned, why could we not have caps on things. Each episode would have new recipes and rewards, possibly a higher cap. The backers now have such an advantage over people that will be starting. Backer rewards, years of farming, Highest levels. Give the average Joe a chance to compete. It seems like everything is against a new player unless you have someone fostering them along. IF it stays as is how high will the levels be by episode 5?

Weins201 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.