How to make SotA great (please read carefully before posting)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Don’t think skill caps would have a good outcome......
    A cap on stats (str, dex and int) however might be just what’s required. @Chris

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Barugon, Ataniiq and Paladin Michael like this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Skillcap, crafting as a primary profession and not secondary. All the promised abilities to be able to decide the outcome of crafting and not the random stuff we have now.

3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

More options for enchant masterwork above GM. Why does the game end at level 100 ? Its 3 hours of crafting to get GM all options are unlocked and theres nothing to strive for after that. Add more crafting stuff at lvls 110....130...150...160..so on.

Make the game feel rewarding .... lately we have all these great features being added to the game but the rewards to them just suck.

Obsidian Trials - NONE wants to fight for potions and titles .
    Brewery - None wants to invest gold in barrels to make some profits in 2 month , 6 months or 1 year.
    Fishing - if the trend will be the same its probably gonna be very unrewarding also.

4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

For MPO Mode:
    Dedicated Servers so the Master of the Zone doesn't have to share his bandwith with other players in the same Zone.

https://www.photonengine.com/bolt

Well... someday maybe...

5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

That's a big gap from 100 until 120 and above.
    There were discussions before about the meaning of "GM" here.
    @Chris,
    may be a diversification would help for casual and other players?

May be the title Grandmaster would be better at 120 Skill points?
    So let us first start with Master at 100?

100 - Master
    Ability to train others (they can raise skills faster)

May be:
    Ability to LEARN Master Skill
    Currently we can learn "Mastery" with Crafting Skill -only- at 40.
    Raising this to 100 would give more meaning to be a Master!

120 - Grandmaster
    A Bonus +x% based on (unbuffed) Dex. and Int. Skill for more success in masterwork.
    Would be great if it would take a quest to receive the title "Grandmaster":
    Finding a special recipe, finding a special ingredient ...

And, last but not least:
    get a certificate after the special item was crafted and the Grandmaster Trainer (we have to find also) gave us the advancement :)

150 - Epic
    Ability to teach every Recipe?
    Ability to make more powerful Epic Weapons / Armors?
    BUT: ONLY one weapon part can be choosen ...
    Master-Skill receives a new Epic Skill for the choosen weapon / armor (like a kind of Specialification)

Well, just a few thoughts - feel free to post yours about that :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

At this point id agree with anything that means MORE then what we currently have... kinda lost of all hope for seeing crafting being improved upon.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  7. mass

mass Avatar

This must be assuming you already have the millions of xp pooled and thousands upon thousands of ore mined and refined (ore being much harder to come by than xp). I've been leveling my two enchant specialties, and even with a guidance potion it's a terrible slog to 100.

That being said, I definitely agree there should be 'higher than 100' bonuses and recipes that require various levels above 100. When new recipes hit, they should start making some 120 level required recipes. Having these high level requirements will incentivize specialization. I want to be able to do it all, but I agree that the time investment to do so should be very high, vs picking on area and being really good at it.

Scanphor and Paladin Michael like this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am left feeling that the vision of RG about this game has been surrendered to the necessity of using an instancing engine. I sense that even he is losing interest somewhat that this game will fulfill his vision, but just step it forward a bit. Perhaps some future game will be the one. I don't know, this is just my assumption and I could be totally wrong. I still play a lot because SOTA has much to offer, but it doesn't fulfill my vision either.

Brewton likes this.
  9. Corv

Corv Avatar

I think it's great that this was unlocked @Serafina @Cerus @Chaox . It is a really great feedback thread (and I don't just say that because I started it). Thanks.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love the game too. I'm also sorry for the every scene is an instance part of this game and even engine choice although I understand perhaps having premade options might have been incentives originally to choose to go with Unity. I'm not trying to bash it just comments.

I believe that this game still has so much possibilities in spite of this.

We are going to need to fix the part of the game where players come in lost and totally confused and not knowing how to get help. I don't believe most new players want that help to come from another player at first. The game needs to provide options for them to understand what's available in the game.

One way mmo games do it is through a journal. If that journal has subject tabs for aspects of the game that would be a great step forward. I believe we could greatly benefit from this idea. Tabs could say things like:

Playing music
    Quests ( broken down into categories of quests) like story lines, dailies, and other like side quests by scene
    Housing
    Dungeons
    Crafting
    Fishing
    Control points
    Looking for groups
    Mining/harvesting
    Player owned towns/Npc towns
    Achievements
    Guilds
    Travel
    The market place

These are just examples but the point being this journal would provide at players fingertips a layout of the game possibilities and it would also track progress and update progress.

I think this would go a long way to being a huge improvement to the game.

Of course you know me and I rally for all systems in the game to be rich in details, interesting, satisfying, fun and I want no barebones systems in this game. Let's be proud of each and every one of them. @Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British

I still believe this game can pull it off to be a very successful game but choices matter and focus matters. Let's get it done. Get all current systems on the schedule for updates.

Edited

Aldo and Astirian like this.
  11. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

My logs do not show this thread ever being in a locked state. Are you sure of this? If so, I may have issues with my log reporting...

majoria70 likes this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

It was locked briefly, but I think that was because you guys were reviewing some of the posts.

13. Chaox

Chaox Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Our logging does not show this thread ever being in a locked state, not even briefly.

14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Weird, I dunno. It's moot anyway since the post is open now.

Rada Torment likes this.
  15. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

This thread is phenomenal. :)

Corv, Paladin Michael and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, it's debatable now? Or did you mean that it's no longer relevant?

17. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol good point, I meant it's irrelevant now. I apologize, as I am using the term in the American vernacular. :D

According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

2. N. Amer. (orig. Law). Of a case, issue, etc.: having no practical significance or relevance; abstract, academic. Now the usual sense in North America.

Paladin Michael and Barugon like this.
  19. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

It was locked, which confused me at the time because it was a good thread with some good ideas.

My idea, would be a wandering band of minstrels that toured(moved towns each week or release) that gave special quests or sold special items.

Towns need more life. I know NPCs were reduced for performance, but the chicken that roamed outside my house in Ardoris is solely missed.

Have the NPC s shout(speech bubbles and music)

Maybe small NPC's town instances (wandering caravans of gypsies, or miners) that would spawn on the world map - no player housing - small but very detailed with NPC quests.

NPC guilds that players could join like Thieves guild, merchants guild, bard guild, farmers guilds that could give members bonuses (farming guild=bonus to crop yield etc) for completing quests to join .

20. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I think regarding the feeling of empty space, there are a number of tricks that can be used (apart from more NPCs if perf. is an issue). When it comes to overland maps, little trade caravans moving from city to city, ships lazily sailing the great seas etc... the Total War and Paradox games (CKII et al.) do this rather well. Ambient street/town/city sounds could also help. If you were mad keen (and realistically the following would be an Ep. II treat) you could have moving ships in the scenes themselves, maybe loading crews and dockmasters at the docks etc... Just the illusion of the gears of civilization would be sufficient.

I'm not really a big MMO fan (I burned out on Arthas fights) but I really enjoyed Ultima for the immersion factor. And I'm starting to feel that Ultima feel creeping in again, which is a great feeling. I don't know if that's a combination of knowing there's a quest system overhaul in the works, heraldry, player made dungeons and brewing & fishing updates to come etc... but it feels like the cocoon is about to open... I've always thought R52 was too early and Dec '18 would see a way more finished product.

So with that being said, multi-player wise, I totally get the requests for skill caps (it will be interesting to see how capped scenes play out). I would also love to see more dungeons for group play. Part of the fun of UO for me was "Which dungeon will I have a crack at today?". Less tax on the player's time, more loot. LFG is a great addition.

A bigger population will fix a fair amount, particularly with the player economy but I feel like it should be easier to find vendors that have what you're after. Guards putting pins in maps is a terrific idea! Map response time needs a serious overhaul.

Something like treasure hunting would be a great addition, because it provides an opportunity to go somewhere. That kind of activity would help mitigate the 'log in, water plants, pay taxes (which maybe are too damn high), log out' loop. It also means that resource gathering and XP accumulation becomes something that just happens as you adventure. You're not just going to that one place you found that's good to farm farm farm. You have a goal.

I'm planning to dive into single-player at the last possible moment to ensure I have the most polished version to play before Ep. II. And for me that means that it can't feel like an MMO when I'm doing the storyline.

smack, Ataniiq and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.