How would you rate the launch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpgmaniac82, Mar 27, 2018.

?

How would you rate the launch?

1. 1 (worst)

34 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. 2

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. 3

18 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. 4

18 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. 5

32 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. 6

10 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. 7

27 vote(s)
    11.8%
  8. 8

30 vote(s)
    13.2%
  9. 9

24 vote(s)
    10.5%
  10. 10 (best launch ever)

27 vote(s)
    11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

Really happy about the launch today and it will only get more exciting as the days go by.:)

Daigoji Gai and Leelu like this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Amazingly smooth!

Leelu likes this.
  3. Ronni

Ronni Avatar

So far, it is a release as ever other release, that's fine but nothing specific... and as we European Players are now transfered to Travian, I cant really enjoy the launch...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Jaws2, Sorthious, TheBalance and 5 others like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So instead of enjoying launch I have had to deal with this:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...site-and-user-migration-travian-games.114679/

Need to use up all my store credits (over 700) without the possibility to wait on the next postmortem sale. So that is a loss of about $150 with no warning or prep time. Which could have been solved easily if we got proper communication on time.

Need to fix all Pending Gifts, including rares, which otherwise are completely lost (see link above). So that is another loss of about at least $50. More if I don't get things sold/shipped in time.

Need to think about what to do with my alt/spare pledge accounts. Right now we are forced to have extra accounts per 3 deed claims (non-pot). Where I now have to think about what the value devaluation will be vs conveniance etc. Haven't considered through all possibilities but that is likely another loss of at least $150.

Etc etc etc.

Which means that not only am I likely to be hit with some ~$350 in unnecessary losses due to a totally avoidable lack of communication, but also so far I haven't had any time at all to even log in for the launch release otherwise that number would have easily been over $1000 if I didn't act now.

Thus I have to enjoy launch some other time, thank you very much... *sigh*

EDIT
    Some small notes to clarify my position:
    1. I don't mind being migrated.
    2. Travian seems to be good people who dedicate resources and time on this title - which is a great thing.
    It is no conincidence that the FAQ linked above was created/posted by Cerus, instead of someone else.
    3. The travian web really has a nice look & feel.
    So don't mind those things and don't mind Travian.

4. However the timing of the migration and the lack of early warning/communication is disastrous. Most of the hickups, fears, backlash and problems could have been easily dealt with and most of it prevented completely if one had done a simple vetting session with a select group of players before all of this.
    5. You can see how unprepared this migration was from Portalarium if you read the third part of the FAQ linked above. Every line with "This was previously not the case." is a landmine hit - unnecessarily.
    6. The lack of communication of intent bugs me.
    If you didn't realize the issue and you start working on creating those additional webpages so that Heraldry/Naming pledge rewards will work from the migrated websites, then the very first thing you do is tell the users that that is your intent. "We are looking into this and will update you as soon as we know more, we hope to fix this in a few weeks but can't make any promises due to technical uncertainty", is a perfectly valid update which saves a lot of user experience issues.

So yes, Launch was completely ruined for me and the lack of communication cost me some hundreds of dollars.
    But no, I'm not the rage-quitting type, nor am I particularly upset about being eventually migrated.
    And yes, I will soon join you riftside as soon as I've sorted things out.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. Derium

Derium Avatar

It's a smooth release, that's for sure.

But then again they are not launching how most other games launch, lol. they have 50 other times they did a launch like this =p

Mykll and Verit like this.
  6. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

HEya they do that after the next postmortem

FAQ (3/3)

Q: When is the user migration going to happen?
    A:
    This will occur after April 5, 2018.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...r-migration-travian-games.114679/#post-974565

7. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

game wise it was a smooth release as every release before ;)

(sarcasm on)but as Spoon said Travian was a not so good communicated surprise (Sarcasm off)

Nelzie and Verit like this.
  8. Verit

Verit Avatar

I was able to log in.
    I was able to complete quests.

Much better than many other mmo launches that i have experienced!

Nelzie and Hamsta like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It was nice seeing loads of people, including old friends who had taken a long leave of absence, running around Novia.

Portalarium spoiled my enjoyment of the launch to a great extent by the poorly executed account migration announcement.

Portalarium has a history of having players test the game and proofread the release announcements, so I fail to understand why Portalarium and Travian didn't solicit the aid of an experienced and thoughtful international player like @Spoon to review the FAQ and identify the many questions that the first FAQ did not address. The result of the sloppy and incomplete FAQ was a feeling of insecurity, dismay and confusion amongst many affected players. Travian has already had to add FAQ V2 and FAQ V3 to the original announcement on the very first day.

Just as in the Russian migration to Black Sun, it seems like no one at Portalarium or at Travian even bothered to think through different scenarios in order to be able to put together an FAQ that was useful and accurate.

On top of all that, the timing of the announcement couldn't have been worse.

So launch day wasn't as enjoyable as it should have been for me.

10. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Oh wow, European players were migrated without warning? That is unfortunate. Other than that, is everything fine? Hate to lose our friends across the pond due to migration issues.

Aurelius Silverson and Ronni like this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For me, I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of new players I am seeing right now, and I enjoy the changes , but the changes are not necessarily gamebreaking for me, I was honestly expecting a big BANG and this release wasn't that, it looked more as a "here are this monthsm patchnotes... P.s. the game is launched kinda feeling for me. Maybe it is because of the fact that we were already players that it feels like this, and maybe I havent looked around enough, but as of right now, the main + for me is new players, patchnotes look like any other patchnote, and nothing else.

Jaws2, Ronni, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Aurelius Silverson and Ronni like this.
  13. Daigoji Gai

Daigoji Gai Avatar

Aurelius Silverson likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

This Song is for Spoon and all who are solving problems and challenges due to Migration and feeling left alone :

And this one is for players who do not like customers who track if a Game has a healthy population:

Ronni and Kara Brae like this.
  15. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Finished Patching to R52,
    Haven't played it yet. (It was after midnight for me)
    I will rate this evening, no doubt it'll be good. :)

P.S. : My sympathy to @Spoon for Travian migration. Hope everything will sort out to your liking.

Numa and Myrcello like this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Lots of people on the overland map around Central Brittany and one guildie reported a similar population explosion in Soltown. Starting from the floating island as a new character was pretty straightforward unlike the early days when it could be confusing as hell.

Good launch :)

Elwyn and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

the total amount of votes this poll receives should be your answer

18. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

I've played through a lot of launches as well... and everyone had their problems..

I definitely put this one up there with the least problems at 'official' launch.

Numa likes this.
  19. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

A smooth and almost perfect launch, I had not any issues so far.

20. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Given the truly disgusting way they have handled their non-US customers, 'launch day' looks likely to have been the day I decided never to play the game again. I had such hopes for SotA, but it seems trusting Portalarium was a huge mistake.

Golden and Bow Vale like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.