Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I am fed up wth the lack of transparancy with how some of the systems are working or not

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Agreed, which is why I've always leaned a little more towards class instead of pure classless. All pure classless does is say everyone's essentially identical because everyone can get everything and builds will just shift towards whatever is OP that release.

I'm all for fizzle chance and balance and giving meaningful choices, just thought it was interesting, I'm not a 3 year vet or anything so I wasn't around at the beginning and wasn't aware of this.

~Woden

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I havent tested the shields with low fizzle that are geared tward casters, but theres 1 shield that offers very little base defence and no fizzle. And given that most of the defnse you recieve from a shield comes from the shield skills, i dont see much issue as they should still be effective and have no fizzle

Moiseyev Trueden and 2112Starman like this.
  3. agra

agra Avatar

Here are examples of the spreadsheets used to build Pathfinder Online, updated with each release/build. These are/were posted by PFO devs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AOlibzi0wY8Wg6n8Uoo/edit?pli=1#gid=1308663819
    Note the scrolling list of over FORTY sheets you can select at the bottom.

That's what we should have for Shroud.
    And every day we don't, is simply an insult to us as testers, imho. Why? Because if Goblinworks can do it, Portalarium can do it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Everyone, I already answered the OP's concern regarding why different spells have different fizzle rates using a shield by quoting the design thread by Chris. Debating each other's testing techniques in this thread isn't useful, or on topic.

2112Starman likes this.
  5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Shields and heavy armor do not affect fizzle rates as strongly for Sun, Earth, and Life, as depicted by the silhouette of the heavily armored person in the top right corner.

These are the schools designed for paladins and tanks

6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

This one is from Starr in the Release 12 notes.
    • Skill Polish / Balance: All magic attack spells have received a balancing pass and are now MUCH more effective. We also made it so that some skills gate further progression on the skill tree by requiring multiple levels. Finally fizzle rates for many spells were greatly reduced, primarily those in the Life, Earth, and Water trees.
    And this one is again from Starr in the Release 19 notes.
    • Spell Fizzle Updates: Spell Fizzle saw a major overhaul this release. Different schools have different fizzle rates based on armor. Death and Air magic are the most prone to fizzle in heavy armor and Earth and Life the least likely to fizzle. Higher tier spells have a higher fizzle chance. Also, each skill level you have in a spell beyond the first reduces the Fizzle chance. Additionally fizzle chance is affected by equipped weapons.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And your point that the shield says 10% mean what to all of these? So since they are all different and each school has different #'s you have a clue on to how to see if it is working / broken or even worth it?

the point is you don't and neither does any other player since we are all blind to how the math actually works.

And I know for a fact that a shield is not 10% soooooooo.

Oh an release 19 notes - LMAO so much has changed we have no clue as to how valid these are and I would say almost none, but.

8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The point was to highlight the overarching design goal of having heavy armor not influence certain schools of magic as heavily. And at no point was this design decision ever mentioned as something they are moving away from.

So, I gave you a reason why shields would affect different spells at different rates. At no point did I claim to know numbers and specifics.

Nor did I claim to know if they were working as intended, or worth it, or any of your other attempts to discredit me.

Gix, Moiseyev Trueden and Spoon like this.
  9. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Thank you for the information! I wasn't around in those early releases, so this was very helpful.

~Woden

10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Okay, thread went way off-topic and degraded into insults and trolling. About half the posts are now gone. We're asked about this a lot: if you find some of your own posts were removed but were not given a reason, it's because it was either contributing to the thread being off-topic or it was quoting a post that was removed.

Reopening the thread now. Please keep it on the original topic and keep to the forum rules.

Thanks.

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Since you have no idea what is what and how the math works, all this does is add more to the point. A player can in now way test things out and see what is working since there is no way to prove if it is adding correctly or not. I did not say that there are not systems in place we cannot see, just that what is shown does not add up correctly.

And using information over ten releases old can in no way be used to test things out. Which also goes with the point of the lack of information. Since this information is no longer in patch notes or updates.

Every piece of information that is used to make formulas should be presented to use every release so it can be tested each and every release.

This lack of consistency and availability make it very difficult for true testers out there.

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I wanted to add a lot of useful and on-topic info.

But since it's not appreciated, I'm moonwalking away from the thread.

Have fun.

13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I think the point is for us to show how the math is working by mentioning how the shields are affecting your spells. If they wanted us to tell them the numbers were wrong, they would give us the math. The fact that the numbers are inconsistent across different spells is by design. Pointing out what those numbers are helps the dev team determine if they are wrong. If they choose to tell us exact math, then our focus will be different.

14. TranZdog

TranZdog Avatar

But now this one does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.