Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I can't find anyone selling the item I broke, so I'll have to craft my own

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by redfish, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@redfish I see round shields on smith NPS all over, try Solania or Ardoris, or Soltown, I know I've seen them somewhere... I don't put them on my vendor because there's not much demand for the round ones, to much materials involed... I think they take 2 plates & 2 bindings, can't remember...

But this brings up an interesting subject, orders... I can place an order for materials, why can't I place an order for equipment? Or a set of equipment? Or multiple weapons made from specific materials?

Just an idea...

Chatele, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@redfish

A)
    If you really want an unlimited supply of round shields and aren't shy about it:
    it requires stealing from NPCs
    most trainer locations which have a set of weapons behind them, like Soltown or Desolis etc, have a round shield you can steal in the top left corner.

B)
    To order something from a crafter:
    I really wish for that Town Bulletin Board of old.
    But in the mean time what I do is to post a paper on the public vendors and rename that one to what message I want, like
    "WTB set of Plate+++ armor contact Spoon" 10g
    Then inside that paper I write more details etc .
    It has worked flawlessly so far, the only problem being the worse than tweet type limit in characters. :p

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@SmokerKGB

They have the wooden ones. I already know how to make them... already mentioned that ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Sounds like the issue here is communication. Not having a global marketplace means having to search for what you want, but we still need various means to advertise what we have and what we want. Keep them local, within regions. Have billboards posted in the major/capital city of each region, where all vendors can post their wares, and players can post their needs/wants. This will keep traffic going into the major cities for this information, and help traffic go to the smaller towns when people see the ads on the central town boards, and go answering the calls.

Also, I like Kite shields from Ultima, but they need to have coat of arms on them.. black and white fields.. stripes, quarters.. etc. :D

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Miracle Dragon,

Yea I mention this.

Two things would be good.

1. Means of advertising. This means *clear* shop signs within a town that shows a shop specialty so I can easily see what someone specializes in without checking their vendor. Noticeboards where people can advertise their goods in surrounding towns, or maybe someone out of the way within the town.

2. Ability to put things like Purchase Orders on vendors. This would allow us to establish a relationship with a seller, and he'll see what items I want. In which case, he'll put them up for sale without an order. Repair Orders would be good too.

Both of these are ideal with shop specialization, and would encourage shop specialization, which would be good for the game.

To everyone: I already mentioned I know how to make an Iron Round Shield :D Also have found places to steal them in the past. :D I'm just making a point about how the economy works from a player's perspective.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  6. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Since it appears to be relevant:

I am just opening up a blacksmithing store ( Thank you, @amaasing )
    Once it is set up, I'd obviously like to advertise for it.
    Since there are no (reasonable) means to do so in the game (so far), I thought making a forum thread would be a great idea. That would also provide a place for people to ask me to make a specific weapon or armor piece (e.g. a round shield ;-) ).
    But where would I put that thread? Marketplace does not appear to be correct (mostly account sales). Another forum entirely?

I'd be happy about any advice.

To circle back to the original point of this thread: If there are no means in game for it, maybe metagame around it for now?
    Because of course as a player, I want to find out where I could buy the item I seek...

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have been tracking exactly that issue - ever since the requirement for restoring max durability began involving a COTO.
    However, in today's patch notes I see that I must begin all my tracking again (since the durability prior to today was completely broken) :
    So now I'm going to use a COTO ( still not a fan of these, but we'll see ) to repair ALL 7 pieces back up to max durability and start that monitoring process all over again.
    You can count on me sharing that information here as I begin to watch max durability degrade over time. ;)

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Tyler in Solania has 4 types of metal shields plus the wooden one, the targes have bonuses, and Martin in Soltown has three types plus wooden... Bucklers too, if you're looking for Bucklers...

Dude, just trying to help you out...

Jarl Atogrim and Time Lord like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D!'

FrostII and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@redfish Now on sale in Desolis usign Local materials. Demand suddenly skyrocketed

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@EMPstrike, :D

I have a mail package to deliver to Solania that I've been holding since April. Since they don't care when mail is delivered, I guess I can stop by to turn it in and get gold, and pick up a 10-pack of shields ;)

Or maybe go to Desolis. :D

12. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I had an idea while reading your post maybe crowns are only used to repair the durability on higher end gear not noon gear... maybe a repair kit could be sufficient for tier 1 basic gear but for anything tier 2 and above you needed a crown.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

@SmokerKGB,

Tyler didn't have any iron round shields! *shakes fist*

I got EMPstrikes' since he took the trouble of getting me some of the Heavy Round Shields.

14. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

OK, if you're still interested, I just added a couple of each on my vendor... He's on the south side of Soltown by my Windmill... I didn't have enough iron, so I used other mats, there're 2 rounds & 2 rectangles, and if you know anyone who can supply me with mats, I already have a few orders pending, if anyone is interested in filling them...

15. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@redfish Dude, I made ya a couple Meteoric Iron +8 shields. Messaged ya in-game but think you were AFK.
    All yours, no charge. Just hit me up. I'm carrying them around in case I run into ya! :)

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting opening post.

A business-minded Avatar might see that as an opportunity to make round shields and shift their crafting focus from what they are doing (with more competition) to that (with less). What you are saying may be an example of how the economy is supposed to work. Player A, B and C identifies shortage of something. Player D says, aha, opportunity! And goes for it.

But I also see it as the 'here and now' challenge. If you want that round shield today and there are none, its tough. A work order system to identify demand for things like this to other interested crafters in the game will be a cool addition.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think its probably more complex than we're supposing. There are going to be any number of craftable items that are unknown; the whole crafting system is based on discovery. They probably don't want to populate the list box with all of the items, including the ones nobody knows about; plus, there will probably be a whole large set of items that it would make he list very long.

Likewise though, one has to wonder about whether there will be raw materials nobody knows about and whether that has to factor into it.

At any rate, figuring out how players can arrange an order for an item would be worthwhile.

And at the very least, having a mailbox system in the game, so players can drop off a note for a blacksmith requesting an item would be nice. Placing "item wanted" notices on noticeboards would also help.

A frequent Repair Order would also be a way of notifying a blacksmith that you'd like new versions of that item on stock. Repair Orders could even work with the current perma- breakage system; since blacksmiths with more skill are supposed to be able to preserve more durability on an item, leading people to want to use a skilled crafter instead of doing it themselves.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    SmokerKGB and Time Lord like this.
  18. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I certainly plan on crafting and selling my wares on a vendor once the game hits persistence. I don't think I'm alone there either. All that what you've said is worth saying, but I think you will find a lot more vendors and crafted goods once wipes are a thing of the past.
    :)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Yeah I can see this as a problem, in Uo we had runes that we could mark and drop all over the place (cost us some time and money as it should do but brought in customers). Something similar maybe within the bounds of the current system.
    How about if a house had an option on the sign to flag it as a shop which you could name, maybe a limit of 1/2 shops per account , then the owner could use a Recall scroll on the sign to bind the recall scroll to the Sign, these could then be handed
    out to customers or put up for cheap sale on public vendors.
    To avoid travel exploits could maybe make them so they are only usable by people other than the owner / guildmembers, or even a time limit before the scroll auto destructs ?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Nay, let's not overthink the problem... Using the "filter" given works fine for me, and I think the list they provide is just a placeholder of items (material items)... I think they did say they were planning a "mail" system for a future episode, and they did mention a "search" engine through the "Towncrier" for finding vendors which had what you were looking for, and point you to the direction of them, similar to how they point you to an available plot, not sure if they're still considering it or not, but both could work just fine...

I like to place orders on my vendor because I don't pay a fee, as I'm willing to pay a premium for materials, but I don't see that ppl know they're there because I haven't had any sell, but on public vendors, I've had a few sell, so I don't know... Right now I need to put the Gold up and tie my funds up for the duration of the order, if no supplies the materials, the gold is just sitting there until I cancel...

Player orders can be taken through a simple texting system on my vendor, where a buyer just leaves me a note for what they want, then I can reply by telling them "Oh, I'm a tailor not a smith, sorry" or "Yes, I can have it done by Fri 5pm PST, do you want any gems added?"... Right now, I just make the items and put them up for sale, not knowing if anyone wants them or not, and finding my vendor out of everyone in town, may prove daunting to some... Public bulletin boards are good, but then there's no notification to either party...

Are you "Elmo"? Because they bought both round shields within hours of me posting here... I think that's who they were... Sorry, I can't make more, ran out of mats, but soon... After I make a set of Epic Plate to sell, thats going to take a lot of sheets... I was just looking it takes like 3 ingots to make a sheet, 4 ores to make an ingot, I need 22 sheets for the set, plus the bindings, and the straps... I hope they change this...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.