I don't care for overland travel

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by brianbourke75, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianbourke75

brianbourke75 Avatar

Yeah, so I don't care for the overland travel thing. Kinda breaks the immersion of the game a bit and reminds of playing old NES rpg's in the early 90's and since I don't care for retro, this is a bad thing :). As any suggestion I come up with to replace it with would probably be impractical to implement (mostly having to do with seemless transitions) I would simply consider replacing it with some menu's.

Is this is just me? Perhaps I am to finicky?

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I love the overland map! It reminds me so much of the old Ultimas. It will be great, exploring the world in this view.

3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Greetings Brianbourke75.

From the offset I was one of the strongest supporters of the dual map... and BOY WAS I WRONG lol

Quenton and Tahru like this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    The overland map is a staple of the early ultimate games and is in my opinion very fitting for SotA.

Senash Kasigal, Leos, Tahru and 4 others like this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

First off, welcome to the community!

The dual-scale map is here to stay for technical reasons. I think once it is more feature complete, people will like it more (if they can see animals moving around the map, you can see encounters that you can seek out, you can see when a town is under siege, etc). Menu instant-travel to towns gives you no concept of what the world looks like, where towns lie in relationship to each other, discovering places that aren't towns, you can't see when a town is under siege to decide to help them or not, etc.

6. paxprobellum

paxprobellum Avatar

You could implement this guy's suggestion (menu-based travel) without removing the overland map. There would have to be some downsides -- I'm thinking a long cooldown, and the opportunity to miss out on profitable encounters.

Synopsis and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

I was not a big fan at the start, but I am starting to like it more and more as they flesh it out.

8. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I don't like it, because I assume you can't attack or be attacked there. I'd wish that any travel is dangerous.

9. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

You can defiantly be attacked as I have been pulled into random encounters. Sometimes this is fun, like if you are just tooling around, but if you are in a hurry to get somewhere, the sudden attack is annoying, though that also makes it more realistic. Rumor has it that the overland map is still going to be fleshed out quite a bit in terms of what you can see and what you can do.

One issue I have found is that if you are in a party, your party member can be pulled into a fight, but you are left on the overland map. It might be better if everyone in the party were treated as 'one player' for determining encounters and if one occurred, everyone would be pulled in. As it stands now, a party of four is four times more likely to be randomly attacked then a single player.

Cypher Black

10. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I hate to say it, and no disrespect meant, but that's silly. If I'm traveling I shouldn't be able to be "pulled into" anything! I should be able to SEE my real surroundings, avoid trouble if I want to, start it if I want to, help others, etc.. I should be able to see where I am, hide, run, etc..

This is s huge step backwards in multi-player gaming, even UO 18 years ago made me be cautious and let me see my true surroundings. The more I read, the more disappointed I am becoming.

Algnosis likes this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

this is taken from the first Ultima games, they had overland maps, it is an Ultima thing. It is very relevant to everything Ultima.

12. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ultima III Exodus had an overland map that you would get pulled into combat. Fighting slimes or rats or skeletons.

AvorinSwiftslay likes this.
  14. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

you need to understand the game construct before you dash the overland map. In the UO of 18 years ago you had to have multiple servers spread out across the world. With MetaData, the way the game is created, its one big sandbox for us all to play in, rather than many separate sandboxes. The world has become much smaller in 18 years, so the way we play games has to change as well. I mean this game is Single-Friend-Multi player enabled, what other game lets you do that, its unique.

I was hesitant at first about the overland map, but I am rather enjoying it now. I mean its different from UO, or other RPG's in respect to travel, but where they have population spread over many servers, we all get to play together! I like that.

Give it time to grow on you, let them finish it out.. I mean its worlds away from where it was, and its not been that long.. just imagine how much better it will be when its finished!

15. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I would go crazy raving if they made the dual scale map as good as Ultima 3.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

16. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

The 1st Ultima games are 25+ years old, and UO got rid of them for a reason. :p

Siren, Galamar and Algnosis like this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

SotA is a spiritual successor to the Ultima Series. :p

AvorinSwiftslay and Sir Cabirus like this.
  18. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

World map is amazing. Only people who hate Ultima disaree. Fact.

19. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

Sorry to disagee... I dont like the overland map. I love uo though. It wont affect if I play or not. I use every other means of transportation i can in the game. Ie zoning, home and the sewer portals. Now with that said im a huge fan of runes. With the overland map the way it is now I dont see them ever coming

btw just cause I dont agree with some ones view point dosnt make me anti the game. Just means I have differant likes. I really hate the instances I groan every time I run into one.

Epona, Siren, Drystone and 4 others like this.
  20. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I'm with Doc, and have the same attitude. I'm not against or negative about the game, but I do believe that because of the overland map there will be people who will literally quit (or not play to start with) once they see it. It removes all immersion and sense of a "world". There are MMO players who won't play any game with instances at all, much less ones that work this way, so for them, this one ancient "feature" will be a game killer.

I came from UO and while I tried to play the single player Ultima games, I never lasted more than an hour. It had nothing to do with Ultima, but the fact I hate playing games where there aren't hundreds/thousands of others. Having said that, I'm a huge MMO fan and have run my own guild for 16 years in many games, and Ultima Online was and is still the best of them all. I'll play this simply because of that.

I don't mind instances, but why can't we travel between them like every other MMO and when we hit a border let us zone in? This removes the feeling of any real exploration or danger of travel, as well as pvp hotspots, and while the single player Ultima fans may love it and get warm fuzzies because it reminds them of "the good old days", (and that's wonderful, don't misunderstand me!) for this game to truly thrive it needs to grab the younger generation of MMO players... and that map will lose many.

I don't buy the "it's too tough technologically" thing... while it makes perfect sense for when playing single player mode, it's going to really hurt the multi-player aspect. Yuck.

Anyhow, again... I'm sharing an opinion I feel strongly about. When I saw that today I was so disappointed.

I'm still excited about playing, and will give it a solid go through release. This will likely be the last I mention it, I'd just hope it can be greatly fixed... and I say "fixed" because as MMO's go, this feature is broken.

Hey Docholiay, did you play UO on Sonoma?

Z

Siren, Drystone and Algnosis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.