I don't care for overland travel

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by brianbourke75, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Great post Kinson about why you don't care for the overland map. Just to note many people here were right up there with you on that opinion when discovering this game would have an overland map verses land to walk accross freely with no invisible walls or zoning you out to the overland map. So many discussions as with pvp, tons of them. So I can understand the surprise you may have that a game would have an overland map verses a seemless explorable world. Hopefully in time you will be able to embrace the concept as new features and explorability are added into it. When in a hex right now we are not seeing all that will be there, so little detail at this point. So there will be many secret discoveries in hexes. Also some scenes will be made larger if they can. Right now larger doesn't always feel better because of the touches that have not been added. Each release things will become more visible for us to understand what this game will be. I do commend you for helping others, what a nice person you are. I truly don't think you'll want to skip anything when this game is released. Richard Garriott is very tricky that way;)

Miracle Dragon and RDouglas like this.
  2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

3. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

I like it, I don't get immersion in mmos, never have, maybe its the neccessity of UIs, cumbersome tab target hot key combat, pulling mounts out of backpacks...I never understood how anyone can be that immersed in an MMO, oh look there goes roguepwner collecting 10 badger butts.

Miracle Dragon, Tahru and majoria70 like this.
  4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

The only time I ever felt immersed was role playing. Killing an NPC for 10 gold 10000000 times is not immersion, its grinding.

Net, Miracle Dragon and Tahru like this.
  5. theeggman

theeggman Avatar

When I 1st saw the world map I was a bit unsure about it in all honesty. It's a very different look for a modern game, but I'm quite liking it now. It adds a very different take on things without being cheesy. It can be very confusing and easy to become totally lost if you are not familiar with it though and really needs the option to have a 2d full map for you to plan routes and find your location easier

Caliya and Ravenwing like this.
  6. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

True. The map has improved considerably since its beginning. But the myopic view is pretty frustrating. Let's hope they give a world map.

Ice Queen likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well the new R17 update is up now. Please note they have worked on the camera angle.;) I love our developers:)

8. Epona

Epona Avatar

I am new here. Hail, Majoria. Very happy to meet you. :)

If there will be all that coolness added to the overhead map, then I will happily adjust. (Fingers crossed for great coolness.)

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am happy to meet you also *bows*. Yes it is coming along nicely. If you saw the before and after pics, you would know what I mean. ;) Perhaps someone will post a pic, but no worries. Each release brings more. You'll notice more after you've been here a while. If you need anything let me know. I'll probably be on a little tomorrow after R17 opens up. Just friend majoria.:)

Epona likes this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree with this. I think the overland map has come along nicely. The artwork is looking great. I could see that it has a lot of potential for adding scenes anywhere, which may be an important way of keeping older regions fresh in the future. My only constructive comment is to differentiate the colors somewhat between areas. Some areas are differentiated, but perhaps there could be more of it.

11. NoobieDoo

NoobieDoo Avatar

Single player = overland map
    Multiplayer = NO overland map

I love mmo's for the multiplayer aspect and I will not play this game single player. With that being said, I don't want to be pulled out of my view/perspective when I travel from town to town. Teleporting is one thing but walking to a zone line then transitioning to the overland map to travel in between towns is something I don't like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.