I don't care for overland travel

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by brianbourke75, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Exactly, it does not say pvp.

Tahru likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm sure in single player mode it will have to be NPC mobs. But my impression is some of these might be PvP scenes.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I think only if it would be in shardfall area. Remember that they said there would be no non consentual pvp. To deny access through a travel pass might break that. But maybe they will have them and leave one pass that is not pvp. *shrugs* I guess we will find out haha

Tahru likes this.
  4. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

I wouldn't want anyone with contested items to be able to recall or quickly leave any area, or be able to run away other than on the map or in an instance. I would like the option to teleport to my favorite vendor shop when I run out of supplies or am simply shopping around. However, I wouldn't want the teleporting/recalling to affect anyone's gameplay for pvp or anything like that, just for when not under attack and are in a casual mode.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This should be an in game mechanic....ie you buy a recall stone or whatnot....and it shouldn't be so cheap as to be pointless..

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Could also have charges.

Btw, everyone should remember that the economy is supposed to be regional also and teleporting to your favorite shops with no cost is going to disrupt that. RG wants it so that you have to travel to a certain location to get things at a cheap price.

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I just think that convenience kills and has potential for abuse. I believe its Richards dream to make people travel so they encounter other people and make it a more sociable game. One thing I hated about UO is everyone popping up and leaving without any kind of cost what so ever. It is a role play nightmare for sure. If they implement any of these things they should be at great cost.

DavenRock [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Houses with free rune books at their doorstep. People begging for others to open up gates for them so they don't have to travel. :/

I'm also sure that traveling will play some role in the story. So for instance, someone asks you to do something for them, and if you take a long time to do it... something happens. Or you might get accosted by some group of NPCs on the road who are looking for you.

I think traveling should just be understood as part of the game... and if its really painful, people should offer suggestions on how to make it more interesting or fun.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I've heard of fast travel several times, but I know that there will be fast travel for sure. I'm 100% certain of it. I saw it come from the mouth of Lord British in game in Fire Lotus' tavern. There were only a few of us in there at the time somebody asked him that question.

I clearly remember him saying that "we will not be able to teleport to places we have never traveled to before".

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

good info, we will have to ask him in a hangout then, if he said it with people around that would make it public knowledge. @Darkstarr @RichardGarriot

DavenRock [MGT], Isaiah and Tahru like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well at least I'm sure of the fact that the fast travel will require us to have been to that location before. I don't know what the mechanism for that travel is.

Speculation I'll set asside any speculation as to what type of travel it will be. However this is similar to how teleportation worked in D&D. It had to be a location that we visited before. So regardless what the mechanism (Spell, crystal, drug, flying carpet...) it will require us to have been to that spot personally.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

You know back in the Middle Ages, people would wear talismans during travel to ward off danger. I could see something like that in the game have some sort of limited use, offering some protection for a time being but not total protection and not permanently. Something like a Ward spell you can either cast directly enchant something with, the enchantment maybe being able to wear off.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

this is rich with possibilities. They asked a long time ago about ritual magic... like what ideas we might have for specific rituals etc. I don't think it is a major topic but it could be something for future releases.

Talismans like this could be one of those things to get its final enchantment through ritual magic involving more than one spell caster. There could be many different types of talismans. Some for safe travels (less chance for random encounters), there could be some to ward off hunger by extending the duration of the meals you've consumed, maybe talismans to ward off encounters with certain non magical animals like bears or wolves.

Maybe acquiring the right talisman might prove helpful in an area you need to travel that we know to be populated with lots of wolves, and you don't want to injure the poor wolves, so you use some ward ritual on an item that causes the wolves to ignore you as if you were just another wolf.

Or maybe the talisman itself is just a receiver element that can be crafted by a player, that has the purpose of retaining the power of a ward ritual. So the talisman could be a generic item that holds the enchantment of the last ward ritual placed on it. So you could use the same talisman, and change the ward spell as needed, or just have multiple talismans with different wards that ultimately fade away until you do the ritual again.

Just a thought. Either way I like your idea.

14. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

2nd that idea for sure. Redfish is onto something there.

Archaeopteryx and Tahru like this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

That may be so. But RG also said in one interview that there were going to be safe ways for people to avoid the chokepoints and that if one wants to be a non-combat, crafter character (for instance), they can do so and still have a viable character and be able to enjoy the game without ever lifting a weapon. It was during one of his spiels promoting the idea that you can be almost anything you want in this game.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Wrong. I loved the Ultima games and played all of them since Akalabeth. But I was never a fan of the concept of being ambushed into a fight I wasn't looking for. If I wanted that I would still be playing Final Fantasy. And even they got rid of it in their MMO.

Almost by definition, ambushes on the overland map occur when you are wanting to do something else, maybe even something time-constrained. It creates more "dammit" moments than smiles. This is fun? Because it's the way it used to be 25 years ago? If this is a nostalgia game for the Richard Garriot fan club, it's not going to be very interesting. Games mechanics have evolved for a reason, holding on to the past for past's sake is not a good design decision.

Now, if the map is fleshed out to allow more visibility of potential encounters, even bottlenecks that must be fought through, I'd be ok with that. But please stop trying to be Ultima 1982 or Finsl Fantasy.

Noctiflora, Drystone and Tahru like this.
  17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

[quote="Wanderlust, post: 306292, member: ]
    Now, if the map is fleshed out to allow more visibility of potential encounters, even bottlenecks that must be fought through, I'd be ok with that. But please stop trying to be Ultima 1982 or Finsl Fantasy.[/quote]

So far the dual scale is nothing like the classic dual scale style, to my disapointment.
    Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

They have stated that you will see monsters soon.

Tahru likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yep, I agree not all fights should not be ambushes but also roving encounters that you can avoid. The type of Final Fantasy / Pokemon encounter can definitely be annoying if its extremely common, because its so sudden and jarring.

That said I still think its fine for ambushes to exist. It was fun for instance in U5 and you were in a deep forest and couldn't see around you because of the thick forest cover. But you knew it was coming because you went into an area that was more dangerous.

I only find it annoying if its extremely common and you have a chance of being pulled in every two seconds. If it happens one or two times on your travel between cities, its really isn't a big deal. It really isn't. I can still imagine bandits ambushing you on your travel. I still play Darklands today, and you have these types of things interrupt your travel all the time, although you might have a chance to avoid the bandits, by giving them what they want, or by running.

And yes, all ambushes are always "dangit" moments in a sense, as they should be. The people who are ambushing you certainly want you to feel that way. It doesn't make it unfun if it doesn't happen too often.

Lord Stein and Tahru like this.
  20. Sofiamia

Sofiamia Avatar

I have a suggestion about the overworld map. What they could do is allow us to instantly zone-in to towns we've already visited on a pull-down list, (it would be similar to UO's town portals). For random encounters and monster/dungeon zones we should use the overworld map to get to them. I've read from others the map is a work in progress as they flesh out how we encounter things or travel the map. Me, I'm lazy. My mages on UO have hundreds of marked runes all over the world, (what mage doesn't?). I have been spoiled by our ability to mark and recall just about anywhere in Sosaria. I still do a great deal of walking all over UO simply because I enjoy exploring and seeing the very clever and beautiful player houses. Zoning into an instance has always bugged me but I deal with it. My only other option would be not to play which is not acceptable. I do think there is a valid point to be made that younger MMO gamers might be deterred from playing after they experience the old world execution of the map.

I remember the random encounters in the old Ultima games, the repetitive movements of the monsters and sounds. Smiling right now remembering them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.