Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

"I don't have a name I can share right now" - NPC's

Discussion in 'Release 46 Feedback Forum' started by mike11, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I have noticed that almost every single NPC in some of the newer towns are quite devoid of.. all forms of communication.

At times I have had some ideas for NPC's (which apparantely have no purpose) while adventuring.

Maybe to help increase non-important NPC there can be a quicker way to develop dialog and story by allowing players to enter a 'feedback mode' which text you can communicate thoughts about NPC in a way that developers will get tagged that info?

Numa likes this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

One of my pet peeves when conversing with NPCs. It makes me feel that I wasted my time.

Gix, Quenton and Hermetic like this.
  3. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Yes, the fact that most NPC towns only have a handful of NPC's to begin with.

4. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Even generic answers could be better written. Instead of "I don't have a name to give right now" maybe something more like "Sorry, I do not associate with Outlanders." It is more realistic of an answer, and plays into the anti-Outlander sentiment that is certainly found in some parts of the world.

By Tor likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That generic answer is specifically because that NPC really doesn't have a name. There is a lot of that going on in Brittany. I'm not sure what happened to the "help us name NPCs" things I used to see back a year or two ago, but they do need another NPC naming pass.

This is also troublesome to me because a lot of them are vendors, and if they had a name, I could create a sotawiki entry for "$NAME ($TOWN)" to keep track of what they sell, like recipes. Even if an entry was created using their job name like "Blacksmith", even if they were the only Blacksmith in town (often not the case), the wiki would still have to get updated later when they did get a name, and I never have liked how Wikipedia-style wikis handle page moves.

...and also a lot of vendors you can't even learn their name unless you talk to them with "skip conversation" unchecked.

6. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I just had an idea:

Why not showing the name of that NPC, having no point of interest yet!), the first time meeting him/her?
    For example:
    Double Click a npc.
    "Welcome, Outlander, my name is Mike/Numa/Lifedragn/Elwyn/Michael. How can I be of service?"

--> From this point there would be no need to ask him about name AND we would know: okay, this one is just for decoration - yet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.