I have a problem with SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadowblades, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: OMG! O'Sullivan's War Shout Can Now Change the Weather! :eek:
    ~Time Lord~;)

2. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

I just can't think of any multiplayer, or MMO I guess that offered things like houses. I mean, in a single-player game, selling game-changing weapons to the highest bidders isn't gonna effect anyone else's gameplay. I'm not saying other big multiplayer games don't sell houses, I'm just saying I haven't seen any that do that. Even if it is the norm, is it so wrong to not want to see SotA do the same thing? This isn't some average game by some average developer, so obviously I'm gonna feel passionate and extra concerned. I didn't say I want my money back, I asked if that was a possible route and said I'd consider investigating. Slightly different.

Lol well thank you Mr.Highlander'O'Sullivan (going based off your avatar, can't help but say that).

3. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

If you can get your money back give me a call, friend. I'd rather re-invest my money back in a UO subscription than this game.
    Good luck.

4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

In that case, consider Star Citizen, not just the most successful crowdfunded game ever, but the most successful crowdfund ever. Given it's a space-based game, homes are replaced by ships. All are attainable with in game currency (if you can make enough), just the same as houses in SotA, but all are purchasable outside of the game through a pledge or add on, again, just like SotA. And far from being odd, I say again that it's the most successful crowdfund of anything, ever.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think you misunderstand my point. I don't want to be "paid back" I just was speculating on where the funds go from game sales if the game is funded by pledgers.

BillRoy likes this.
  6. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

I completely understand funding, my main concern has been with the... carrots that have been dangling for support I guess you could say, or the incentives rather. I'm concerned with the integrity of the experience of the game out the gate. Obviously offering things like houses will generate a lot more funding than say... less impactful/robust incentives?

BillRoy, Milzer78 and Time Lord like this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Britannia Manor III ??? :)

BillRoy and Mordecai like this.
  8. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Well, the topic of this thread has gone off to something different, but I will chime in anyways.

For this game, I would say that the funds received from post-purchase game launch will go into keeping the system up and running for the multiplayer aspect since their is no sub fee. There is also bug patches and any content patches that they might work on to release pre-Episode 2. They might also save some of the funding received before the Episode 2 crowdfunding campaign to help reach goals, and probably lower the amount needed to fully fund Episode 2. Note, this is just a guess on where that money goes since this is technically paid off already.

Also, don't forget that they still have to pay people and bills post-release, so extra funding goes towards that also.

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  9. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Well, they are not selling keys to open story-necessary dungeons, or gems to speed up processing time, or other such blatant "Pay to Play" things like you see in a lot of "free to play" games, so in that regard the cash shop is not really a "Pay to Win" or any such thing. It's a way for players to customize their experience and to help fund an independent project so that a Publisher/Label like EA is not needed. (And really, isn;t that the true goal these days, to return to the independent publishers?)

Secondly, as stated above, it costs MONEY to build these games. While some people can on occasion build a simple game in their spare time as a hobby, there are 30+ people involved with SotA who are putting their professional efforts into the project and thus are entitled to compensation for those efforts, plus the building in which to house the office for them to work, plus the costs of maintaining the servers on which you'll be playing (and handle distribution of the game), plus the cost of the physical goods that have been offered to people who buy in at specific tiers, plus business costs such as taxes and so forth... then, after all of that, they have to hope that they can get enough of an income on hand to fund ALL of that and maybe, just maybe make a profit for everyone involved.

All of that just to build a game that we can enjoy. I think they're entitled to the compensations from adding in little extras and goodies along the way (like a hot tub).

Dhimmi, tradyblix and Time Lord like this.
  10. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

You've pretty much explained how Star Citizen isn't the norm, which I know all about. It's actually funny that you mention Star Citizen because I was talking to a fellow Star Citizen enthusiast friend about this stuff, and he helped me realize that it's not like ships are limited. If what I know about Shroud of the Avatar is correct (which is may not be, I haven't followed development as much as I had in the past), lots in cities/towns/villages will be finite and limited, but it's not like Star Citizen is gonna run out of space for ships.

Star Citizen player pays cash for ship: enjoys nice ship right from the start.
    Star Citizen player pays in-game for ship: eventually enjoys same nice ship.

SotA player pays cash for city lot/house: enjoys city lot/house right from the start.
    SotA player pays in-game for city lot/house: Will there still be lots available for this non-paying player? <--- This is what I've been trying to investigate.

Mordecai and Time Lord like this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yah I don't think it's quite the right time yet to be questioning where the money is going

The money is obviously going in the game. we need about another 50 million AFAIC

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, your first port of call is the property deeds section of the add-on store where each type of deed has a running figure on how many are left.

If the game launched with those figures still in positive numbers, obviously there will be spaces left for people wanting to purchase in the game, from the day the game opens.

If all those additional slots are gone before launch, someone entering the game will have to make their peace that it might take until the second chapter, when the map is expanded, to get a spot.

Given that I doubt it will be "quick" or "easy" to make enough money for a land deed and house, particularly stuff bigger than a village lot, it might take until chapter two come's out to make that money, anyway!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

I'm actually all for the hot tub. More hot tubs please.

enderandrew and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

If you can get your money back give me a call, friend. I'd rather re-invest my money back in a UO subscription than this game.
    Good luck.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." REM
    (It hasn't happened yet, but soon...you'll see.;))

[​IMG]

BillRoy

------sorry BillyRoy :( I can't quote-----------
    ..........But I can quote Bob Seger :)...............

~Time Lord~:D

15. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

Thank you, this is the kinda stuff I'm wanting to know. I guess I might further ask, do you think/know if there are more lots than the amount listed on the Add-On Store page? Like, hey we're selling 500 (out of 700) city lots, but keeping 200 empty for in-game buyers to still have a chance? That last night in light blue is exactly what I was thinking.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

They haven't given an answer to how many lots there will be for sale with in-game gold. They mention that there will be lots for sale with in-game currency, but how many and how much they will cost is uncertain.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I have a feeling that there are some more lots on top of what's listed in the store, but as I don't have a firm reference for that (I think I heard it in the deep dive on housing), I don't want to say that is fact. But yes, that's a big possibility. And more land being added when the map expands with each chapter is a definite. So my takeaway is whether you make money fast, or relatively slow, I do think there will be land lots available "most of the time" when you need it.

I recommend watching the deep dive on housing video if you haven't already; I get the feeling you might not have? https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=38352

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, this thread went in a good direction

Time Lord and Canterbury like this.
  19. Mogdurok

Mogdurok Avatar

Houses are not game balance changing items. Rather, they are the ultimate vanity item. I don't see how somebody having a nice house cause direct negative experience to others. Houses add fun and sense of community, which is a big positive for the game. As an important extra, the money spent goes to further game developments. I see a win-win situation.

20. Shadowblades

Shadowblades Avatar

Well that's definitely a bit comforting. I actually haven't seen that yet, but I'll have to check it out.

It probably didn't seem like it, but that's what I was hoping for. I know I've been out of the loop for awhile and I was hoping that a well informed community could provide some knowledge and reassurance.

Well, if the location of your house (or shop) has an impact on economy / your personal economic success (and depending on the scale/weight of trading or your passion for being a merchant), I would say that lots/houses could and would go well beyond being a large vanity item.

I would still like to hear from the dev team about my previous questions:

Thank you for the discussion and all of the info everybody, I've gotta get some sleep for now. Take care!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.