I have mixed feeling -shared XP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If it’s one pool for all char then I don’t see crating as a issue with the exception of specialty. I think the whole point is one specialty crafter per account but idk any more if that’s still a thing.

I guess I’d just like to see some real details on the plan vrs speculations ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. Sole

Sole Avatar

A - Nope
    B - Its Adventuring pool
    C - ...

Alley Oop and Ravenscar like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

"This evidence doesn't fit my expectation of reality, therefore it must be fake."
    The screenshot was of the Adventuring pool, not the Crafting pool.

Alley Oop likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, if I get a million experience then I'm thinking hard about what I want to cram it into.

5. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

yeah I assume shared bank, shared house, shared virtue, shared pool, shared limit on 2 specs right?

they really can't allow sharing of craft experience if each toon can spec. Thats a bridge too far.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why? Because I didn't earn that experience? Because that would give me an unfair advantage over someone else? Or, maybe, because I should have to start another (free) account and get all that first-time crafting experience bonus that's not available to the second character on my original account?

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ohh and btw there are people esp many in the ut crowd that have broke a billion xp I’d put $$ on that. that’s what about advl 122 ish?

8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I look at it this way:

The main objective of a company that is running an MMO is to ensure the player keeps coming back for more... and more... and more.

More time spent ultimately means, on average, more money spent, whether you are looking at a subscription fee model or the free-to-play-but-spend-money-on-extras model.

So, Port, being the latter model, would naturally want to toe the line between the game being free and fun, but still getting people to spend more time in game to tempt them to buy the extras.

SO here I am, Player X, who already knows most of what there is to be had in this game, and have liked it well enough to get a main built up that can earn a few million exp every day I play with relatively little effort or risk. What I want to do is build up a couple of secondary characters using this new shared exp model. Why? Who knows who cares...

Old way, I would have had to "roll" those characters, and spend hours upon hours of gametime working at the skills I want that character to use, see-sawing through it as I first build the pool up, and then explosively dump it into those skills like a tourist an hour after drinking water for the first time in Mexico. This results in many hours of time spent in game while I do this, presumably experiencing things through a slightly different set of eyes.

Now, I can use my main. Lock his skills and go spend an hour or three drumming up millions of xp, and then log in as the alt, and feed off of this pool like a newborn chick in a nest, having fat momma Main regurgitate its life experiences down Alt's hungry gullet, fattening it up in preparation for the big leap into the rest of the game world. More skills, less time overall, what's not to love?

Long story not a bit shorter... ultimately, I think Port is shooting themselves in the foot with this, as it effectively ends up cutting time spent in game to a possibly drastic degree. Less time spent ultimately means less time being tempted to go grab stuff from the crown store, which means less money being funneled into further development and operating costs.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I thought I was actually going to agree with you about something, right up until that last sentence, @Lord Tachys al`Fahn...

The flip side of that coin, if the player who feels moved to spend more time in game with Alts for whatever reason doesn't wish to push that same rock up that same hill repeatedly, then they might just lose interest altogether and leave...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    FrostII likes this.
  10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

That's good and all, but go look at EvE Online... a game that is arguably ALL ABOUT the alts, and up until very recently in its history, has been completely subscription based.

(Yes, I know there are Game Time Cards, that one can buy for $35 that give you two months of game time and can be sold to other players (much like the Crowns) for in game money, but that ends up costing $17.50 a month, and the old sub fee was $14.95. In the end, there's still a subscription, the only thing that has changed is who is paying for it.)

I played that for YEARS... and at the end I had a tiny mining fleet of 1 main and 11 alts across 4 accounts, all of which I paid for, even though I probably could have managed playing the game for "free" (free to me... someone has to buy the GTC's though, so CCP got its money either way lol), I never really got around to making that truly happen.

And I was a VERY SMALL fish in that vast inky ocean. There is a relatively well known account of a player that was moving his (AND ONLY his) mining fleet of some 30+ exhumer class ships through space, and had them wiped out by a suicide gank squad for the lulz and the KMs (Kill Mails), costing him the RL equivalent of thousands of dollars of lost ships and implants, and time from lost skill points. ALL OF THOSE ALTS IN THOSE SHIPS WERE HIS!!!!

Point of this little story is: If the game is fun enough, you will invest the time to achieve your goals, whether they are for a single character or a small village of them... and you will pay for it if necessary too. You will gladly pick up your own boulder and shove it up the hill time and again if you feel the reward for your time is worth it.

If you make something easier to do, all it accomplishes is shortening the time for that activity to peak, and then you're stuck again... eventually, there isn't enough "new" to do to keep you here, and you stop playing. This is what shared EXP pools are going to accomplish much faster.

Yes, I agree that if the boulder is annoying enough, most would let go and walk away. But, in the end, its half dozen of one, and six of the other. Unless they do something to correct the things that have caused/are causing people to walk away, the things that make that boulder less fun to roll up the hill, there won't be anyone around to roll it.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

At first I was like, No way am I ever going to start a new character, it takes way too much grinding to ever get good.

But then I started having a lot of fun levelling up another character and getting them stuff, having different experience. So now I think dont' ruin that by shared xp.

They need to allow seperation of characters on the accounts. And people that say "have multiple accounts" that's crazy, multiple email addresses ? No. Hassle.

I would support the OPTION of transfering XP from one to another, no shared everything, it's dumb !

Jason_M likes this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I respectfully disagree.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

That's cool. ;)

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree completely.

Disagree completely.

Here's why:

If your main is getting all the points for the shared xp pool, then he/she is spending time in game to get them.

If your alt is using some of those to build skills that your main may not have (or whatever he/she's doing) then that's 2 chars actively involved.

Char A may be tasked with acquiring the points for a time, while char B uses them to build himself up.

So, you have 2 chars busy gaining and gathering....

At no point are either getting "bored"....

Phoenix007 likes this.
  15. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr
    Without some adjustments for CRAFTING, this system is easily exploitable!
    I think 70 Mio Crafting XP per day are possible with enough ressources.
    You have to change the first time crafting xp bonus. At least you have to kill the bonus for every material you can use for one item.
    You can get around 7 Mio for the 216 possible material combinations you have with the catapult.
    Make an Avatar train him to 90 Carpentry, make the 216 Catapults, delete your Avatar. repeat

Vaiden Luro and Spungwa like this.
  16. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I agree with @Lord Trady of Blix . Sharing should be a choice. Sharing virtue, for example, locks your character down in role playing, and sharing experience locks your character out of the satisfying growth period of development.

I'm not against the proposed system, but the choice to opt out of sharing would be fundamentally important in my decision to buy a second character or get a free account.

17. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

People earned all the experience they have so no issues there.

You can already start free accounts and get all the free 1st time experience so I'm not sure why you are bringing that up. Nothing here changes that. I don't think its the panacea awesome-sauce you imply but that's far off topic.

To me its more about whats good for the game. For quite some time Portalarium has been telling us crafting spec is acomin and we are gonna need to make choices and its for the good of the game. This would be a HUGE walk back of that. It'd be such a big walkback that I'd rather just cancel crafting specialization or just plain uncap it and let people spec in everything cause that's the effect of shared crafting pools anyway. You woudn't need to make any decisions. You just create a new toon in your account, pay a few bucks to unlearn the skill(s) from your main and then on your new toon pop a guidance potion and before no time you'll have it all transferred over. If crafting spec and making choices is good for the game then this by definition is BAD for the game.

I get it, I have 6 or 7 GMS in crafting that are gonna become worthless with specialization too..

18. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

^^ This, for adventure XP, who cares the amount of adventure XP you get from being able to do the quests again is insignificant. Even the quest XP into your producer pool, though more significant, is still not that significant.

However the amount of XP you can get from first crafts is NOT insignificant. If you can continually get the bonus on different characters for first craft BUT invest that XP in the same single character, that is broken.
    Essentially you making something that was designed to be a one boost no longer a one off boost.
    If however you make the first craft flag account bound rather than character bound I see no issue. This does however hurt a player using multiple characters on one account that does not want to put that producer XP in to the same character.

Regards
    Spung

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And this is where it all fall apart,

As Brass said , I take all my exp and dump it into train I do not put any into anything else, I tame a pet and then use another char that has just summons.

This is the flaw of taming but in the end it is what can be done

NOW this really does not matter, because as others have said so what it does not allow for the transfer to out of account.

HOWEVER one thing that is always not asked for Training these skills. Do you also want to just pick the skill or are you going to spend days working a skill up to 150 - 180 - 200??

This topic has had many threads about it, it is actually pointless. Go for it, it will however even more disenfranchise new players from wanting to play since it will W I L L be abused in some shape or form.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Lained

Lained Avatar

Did I miss an announcement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.