Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I just lost interest in R9

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by docdoom77, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

So after spending an hour updating the client. Then 15 minutes building a deck, 10 minutes wandering around naked (since I started only with leather and didn't want to fizzle), going to the wrong towns (my runic sucks), I finally got to Owl's Head. Where I met with Guard Nicolas (apparently they sent Michael to Braemer).

I had a fun moment there. I told Nicholas: "Out of my way fool. I grow tired of nakedness and wish to the peruse the wares of your merchants" or something similar. He responded with: "Awesome." Good stuff.

Anyway, I decided to sell some stuff to get money and I had 2 backpacks so I sold one. Only to find out that I had just sold everything I own for 20 gold. That is just too frustrating. I barely have any time. I start with 0 freakin' gold, but I have to buy reagents and clothing before I can start testing out the new combat stuff.

Why do I have to jump through 3o different hoops before I can even test the game? Just start me with a little of everything and some gold. Jeezum.

It's just too grindy to even get started on a test period a few days long. I still love you guys at Port. I really do. But would it be so hard to start us off with everything we need to perform combat on a combat release?

2. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

You realize you *did* start with everything and then accidentally sold it all to a vendor, right? :):)

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Yes i agree a little. On one hand in my first Releases i quite liked the fact that there was no hand holding and you had to kind of play a small game to get up to scratch. However after 9 releases now and things each time getting a little more involved, especially in the areas of combat at the moment it feels a little like a chore to be repeated. I know testing of areas is needed and a multitude of people doing so each release would iron out bugs the most but i think a form of permanent skills/loot/inventory/house placement is needed at present to encourage people to try out the 'new stuff' and not finding work on each release to redo again. Im not disliking the way the game is going at all but for people to get in and get their feet wet during releases, it might be becoming a little seen that done that before kind of mentality.

Edit: I really want the final game to be as involved as possible, a lot more so. But for the monthly releases i feel it would encourage players to be excited about the new stuff and not think that they have to do what they did in R1,R4,R7,R9..... again......keep inventory/recipes/house and inventory (no need of the plot) etc. It would add a sense of continuation each release more so than starting from scratch each release.

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

No actually, I didn't. No reagents, no mage appropriate weapons. No clothing other than armor I won't wear casting spells. You pretty much have to buy stuff to get going, but you have no money.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, smack, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  5. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

I agree that we really should start with a grub stake of say 500 gold and a stockpile of crafting components. If we're supposed to be testing things let us actually get into the testing instead of spending time blundering around collecting red sashes or picking cotton.

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I totally agree with our docdoom77.

With the crashing and other issues that have begun with the more elaborate and enhanced build this time around,
    "it's time to get everything and anything you would ever need upfront"
    and not have to go on the scavenger hunt to better jump in and test our game out.

Well Said and Great Point Doc!
    DoomBot~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yeah, it is kind of frustrating repeating the same cycle over and over again with each release :(

1. Create character.
    2. Spend a lot of time trying to construct a decent deck(s) :confused:
    3. Spend several hours o_O fighting enemies in order to get gold to buy decent armor, reagents, and crafting components. (Be prepared to die often, since you only have cloth armor).

The fact that R9 seems even buggier than usual hasn't helped...:eek:

Lord Baldrith, Kether, Retro and 8 others like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmmm, I agree they should start you with a bit...just ask for that. Really.

smack, Svahn, docdoom77 and 3 others like this.
  9. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I spent 10 minutes killing elfs, looting and selling their items. Then traveled to Ardoris, bought light/heavy armor and i thought i was ready to fight XD. I Spent 30 minutes adjusting my deck to use bludgeons efficiently (i had a good time at it) and in the meanwhile i made 7k elvish gold.

Abydos, Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There are some really good points in here. This is a test release to test out combat, but I had to spend an hour farming gold enough to buy reagents. Same would be true to get heavy armor. If the point was to test combat then why not help us get more involved in that feature. We needed some hand holding too, because we dont know how the skills even operate before we even test them. So add on another hour of testing your skills against wolves and monsters.

Shadoweaver, Kether, Retro and 6 others like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Agree, but Disagree"
    I do agree with what you are saying here, it would seem easy to do or accomplish in a short amount of time, which only helps us become more accustom to our game.

"Yet it has been my experience during this release, that I have had to un-install and re-install the game so often to play it, that this has become a great hindrance for me in this release".

One look at the Bug forum's crash threads, and I'm sure you will find more problems with this releases crashes much more than there was during the game's last release...
    Otherwise, I would agree. But I must agree with the OP docdoom77 here in this release, "we should become more test focused than game immersion focused within the next release so that we can game test more and game challenge less".

(currently un-installing and re-intalling for the 4th time, somewhere in "The IBM Blue Nowhere" :( but definitely not in game)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Retro and Ned888 like this.
  12. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I am really sorry that we have a lot of people crashing out, but i must say that it is working as intended. We got a TON of new skills and new systems to test and i saw a lot of improvements on graphics (AA, tectures, hair, sliders for example). Fortunately the next release we will see less content added and more polish everywhere.

Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

My take on this is that we are here for a purpose. Yes we do get to pvp and have fun and such. The main reason if for testing though. I think one of the reasons why we do not have everything given to us is so we can explore and find bugs while doing it. We must seek out items, and in turn in our ventures we collect data for the devs. We need to go out and find things, do things, gather things, in order to know that they work properly. That is part of the pre alpha testing.

14. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I completely agree with you. I mean once we are testing the economy maybe it will make more sense but right now they really need to give us more starting equipment. Or at least give us some gold to start with! The main focus right now is combat testing so it makes sense to me that we should start with all the supplies we need to test combat. Because otherwise some people are going to get burned out just trying to get ready to test combat! Especially if their play time is very limited.

Retro, docdoom77, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  15. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Completely agree, the lack of continuity sees me constantly restarting each test, so many hoops to jump through.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's not that big a deal...these tests at the moment are meant to be basic tests...they have said that by the end of the year they hope to have more continuity.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

It's a big enough deal for me.

Retro, docdoom77, Kaisa and 1 other person like this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ok...why?

I'm trying to figure out how this is a huge deal?

An alpha isn't here to be played as a fully functional game. It would be nice to have a little gold to start, just ask for that. I don't see it as anything other then an inconvienance.

Svahn and Time Lord like this.
  19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I'm not really bothered by the lack of starting gold. Just wished it didn't crash that often. I've spent more time doing character wipes and reinstalls then I have been in-game :(

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

The combat was fun last release, But the game is very buggy this time round for some reason, could not get in all day Friday and when I did my heart sank as the lousy frame rate was still the same which makes combat a pain especially for people across the pond, Please concentrate on the design and optimization as then we will be able to test the combat better, I presume Andoris was just a fleshed out Level?, Sucks to see all the same texture sets and mdl designs that the designers seem to drop about like lego bricks, Like the statue though, and we have a watermill and were gonna use it!
    Sorry to be negative but it was on my mind.

Kaisa and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.