I lost 1/4th of my GM's from one death!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by King Robert, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This is really dumb, if you ask me. The decay should pull ONLY from pool and these skills first for sure. Really makes no sense the way it is, if this is the case.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I always makes me smile when people say there were no solutions proposed... there were but not one single person studied or replied to them, thats a problem beyond any lack of attention span :p

@kaeshiva had very good writeups of some of those solutions.

I don't mind if the solutions aren't good, but in a forum like this one we'd expect someone to demolish it and then thats it.

Instead, we got threads locked and told it was taboo... common we're not 15 years old anymore.

Either demolish the solutions, or admit they are good.

Don't do the Wizard of Oz routine on us, gesticulating like a madman behind the curtain.

FrostII and Spoon like this.
  3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I am assuming at this point you are done advancing any skills? You are content with the content you can do and are now resigned to play that character, doing those things, for how long before you quit the game?

Because right now, your stepping into where it starts to get painful. Because your going to start taking more skills to GM or start taking skills above 100. And now you get x2,x4 decay for those skills. With 6 million in your pool you should be fine for a while, come back and post when you get adv 95 or so and see if your opinion changed.

Nikko, FrostII and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

This is exactly the point. You spend hours acquiring the reward and then spend minutes worth of risk to lose it. If I go after a big baddie all alone, by all means, penalize me for doing stupid ****. No problem there. But a blanket decay mechanic that is still unexplained by the people that created it isn't going to do anything positive for this (or any) game.

Again, the solutions:

- Remove it and stop this nonsense now. (you won't do this, we know, but we can dream)
    - Leave it where it is, and explain it cleanly and concisely in-game so there is zero surprise, misinformation, miscommunication, etc. when a player encounters it for the first time.
    - Rework the mechanic into something that's meaningful, less punishing, but appropriate for the risk undertaken by the player.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Kailo Firestorm

Kailo Firestorm Avatar

Well they need to do something about the harsh XP loss when you die, for 1 NO ONE wants to do anything their to afraid to loose XP and the rewards that do drop are not worth the exp penalty if they die and that is getting boring as hell, 2 a total Grind fes is no fun at all infact it makes people not want to play I followed this game thinking it was going to have the heart and soul of Ultima but its far from that and i am a bit disappointed. And no I do not have to get used to it simply move on to other games problem solved.

6. Kailo Firestorm

Kailo Firestorm Avatar

Death should not hurt at all this is the reason no one wants to go face off with a dragon or do stuff their to afraid to loose exp and its really making the game boring and then the grind to get the exp you lost back not kool penalizing people for advancing in the game is just plain dumb. All this is going to create is a bunch of high lvl town warriors that never leave town because their to afraid to loose exp unless your one of the Snowflakes that like to sit in town and look pretty then I understand your point.

7. Kailo Firestorm

Kailo Firestorm Avatar

I totally agree with you and they need to do something soon release is just around the corner and the steam reviews are horrid and really hurting this games future.

FrostII likes this.
  8. Kailo Firestorm

Kailo Firestorm Avatar

Then if they don't care that tells me they don't care about the future of this game cash grab comes to mind...

TheBalance likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I can't speak for others (like so many of you all believe you can) but it makes the game more exciting for me knowing that there is real loss should I die. Real consequence. If it wasn't there then I would just shrug my shoulders, res and continue on... boring.

gtesser likes this.
  10. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

The only one I have spoke for were my close friends I was involved with. But I understand your point of view as it being more exciting for you.

How about this, have an option at the Oracle where you can turn death Decay on and off like PVP. For those who think it creates excitement,like you,you can have it. For those who are casual players or feel the death decay is something they just don't want to deal with because it's too much to come back from,you can turn it off. Best idea in the world? No,it isn't. But I have floated what I felt was a legit answer to death decay,as others have and here we still are.

FrostII and Kailo Firestorm like this.
  11. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

im used to ultima online bean playing it since january 1999 and yes i bean there with full loss of items
    its was a pain always haveing some message you on icq come help me my stuff is decaying i used to get them messages all day long
    now i am not agreeing with full drop of items or skill decay but again as they have mentioned on post befor me devs want it

i feal if i had option i would take the limmeting of how many skills i can have and or max how high i can go allot over decay

FrostII likes this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

decay posts are all well l and good but no need to go further since the same wish and same result are done, 7 pages is more than enough.

some good points (again and again) and not one viable solution.

13. Kailo Firestorm

Kailo Firestorm Avatar

I totally understand your point some form of penalty is ok, but not to the point were people don't want to go fight a dragon or go on a dungeon crawl because their penalty is either so harsh (loosing a million exp) or the reward vs penalty is not worth it. as I said NO ONE likes a mind numbing grind just to loose it by dying I want to play a game not grind. also if its more exciting for you then why not add a option to turn it on or off id be willing to bet you would turn it off.

14. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Exactly. This isn’t call of duty multiplayer where you can just die and die and die again. This is role playing. All this anger about this system is solely based on PvP end game players. Guarantee. “If I can’t pwn I can’t play.” Lose a fight you should get hurt imo.

Larger problem; is pvp the only end game? If so what’s the point?

15. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

since you do NOT lose exp in PvP this is a non starter

17. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

Your wrong. They don’t PvE because of loss because then they can’t pwn. Pvp is the only driver for problems with the system. PvE and PvP goals don’t correlate. Perhaps that is the main problem. You don’t lose xp dying in PvP. The fix? Same penalty for PvE and PvP.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  18. Kailo Firestorm

Kailo Firestorm Avatar

I don't quite agree with that take Crowfall for example if you die you loose what ever is in your inventory and that game has ALOT of followers and great reviews why because its a fun game to play its grindy but you don't loose what you have earned just whats in your bag UO same thing if you died you lost everything but stuff was easy to get so it did not mater go on steam and read the reviews on SOTA their not fun to read and its seriously hurting the game. If you like to play a game that only has 200 people playing then I guess its ok.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When I played D&D, death was permanent! If I died, I had to re-roll a new character.

Elwyn and MasterWan like this.
  20. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I agree with this too. All I’m saying is that PvP and PvE are treated separately in this game due to their risk and reward systems. Why? It should be more seamless. If darkfall allowed you to keep all your loot when you died in PvE but not in PvP would there have been a problem? Also, Darkfall is extremely niche. I want sota to be a WOW killer, not a Darkfall. I never got into WOW, how do the devs deliver something that appeals to the masses and makes niche players happy too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.