Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I love new sounds

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Gatsu., Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

finally nice sounds and a major variety :)
    i was a game programmer for a lot of time... and sounds are something that i think are 33% of game...
    33% sounds 33% story and variety 33% graphics.

maybe it's only a my opinion.. but everytime Portalarium improve sounds i like more SOTA.

jammaplaya, uhop, Fringe and 3 others like this.
  2. PhaRxMer

PhaRxMer Avatar

I disagree I think the new sounds are horrible. But to each their own. Btw, I'm not saying the sounds before were all that and a bag of chips, I woulda hoped they changed them eventually, these just seem a downgrade. However, they did point out there might be a bug with SFX if I am not mistaken.

zyxe and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

maybe are only bludgeon sounds improved ... i see on forum that alot of player are not happy with new sounds..

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Sounds are ok, some are better like buffs.
    Obs Arrow seem not to have a sound yet.
    Discharge Sound isnt anoying anymore while spamming dc, but now the spells gives no more Feedback and feels a bit weak.

Please add a sound for wodden and small metal gates. They now sound like heavy doors from houses when i enter my garden or planting zone.

Rennik likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also on sound feedback chopping trees is still drum-like. I am liking sound work. I know it's not done yet. I like the gong sound on one spell. I also hope for achievement sounds, well and achievements;). Some combat sounds are coming a long nicely. I like the new gust sound.

Stundorn likes this.
  6. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Can't comment on all the sounds. But the Water tree was a huge improvement in sound choices. Sounds a lot less like clunky pipes now. :)

Ambient sounds need a lot of work yet. Everything sounds so close, when it should not. The sounds of citizenry coughing, grunting, ooo and aaawing, all sound like they are happening right next to my character rather than coming from any surrounding source such as an npc or building. Wilderness sounds too. There will be wolves on the map, and I will hear wolves growling. But none in my immediate viewing range that should be so loud.

Stundorn likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

My earth spells sounds are really simple.... but they actually work and I like them (including Obsidian Arrows sound).

The oddest sound I have heard lately may be new, may be not. I moved my PoT NPC merchants by my house so they are near when Im crafting and the women make some really weird sounds like rated XXX kinda thing (moan)... I swear!

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

Overall, I like the new sounds. They're not the best kind of sounds for some of these abilities, but I believe they're much better than what we had previously.

HOWEVER, the worse offenders are probably the Stealth skills... They sound like magical abilities. Have you heard Camouflage? As if I didn't like the spell enough mechanically, now it almost sounds like some kind of explosion. If anything, Camouflage and Silent Movement shouldn't have sound at all!

Portalarium, I know you really, REALLY like spells. Your entire game is currently balanced around them... but not everything should act and sound like a spell!

Stundorn likes this.
  9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I also dislike the Sprint ability sound being the same as the Air Spell Dash sound... they're not the same, even if they are equivalent. Part of what I liked about being able to sprint was that it was silent and could not fizzle. It still cannot fizzle, but it's no longer silent or close to it. :-/

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like that distant sonic boom sound.

11. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

But when I Sprint IRL, I don't hear any sonic booms, I'm not a cartoon roadrunner :p I understand spells make sounds, that's fine.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It isn't Rl and not saying that's not valid but we need visual and representation to know we did something, well imo;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Stundorn and Barugon like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My comment wasn't related to your real-life athleticism. It was merely expressing my preference.

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.