I need a guide to Taming

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Quenton, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Taming is the one skill that's really been lost on me. Can someone tell me what the process is, from start to finish, on what I would need to do to get a tamed animal?

If only it could be as simple as telling them "I always wanted a bear like you" a lot :(

deonast, chuck5086, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  2. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be buying a book to learn how to play the game :)

3. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

If you just want a pet...

1) Goto public vendor.
    2) buy pet
    3) put summoning whistle in non combat bar
    4) click da glyph
    5) command pet to attack and needlessly die
    6) realize you really should learn how to res your pet.
    7) goto 2.

If you want to tame a pet...

Get silver & craft taming collar and whistle. You will use many collars. Its currently a very expensive hobby. Or buy taming collars and a whistle from public vendors. Each collar is going for 2500... which seems kinda steep to me but whatevas...
    Train up them taming skills.
    Find something easy like a wolf... beat the crap out of it.. and when it's half dead, use the tame command. I have it locked in my combat bar when taming. Root is your friend... so is healing.
    As you level up you die alot trying to tame things ...
    As you're taming it shows that % chance... I think the ideal range is 5-10% it seems.. maybe someone else has better comments? if its <1%... just interrupt and save the collar. If you don't half kill it the taming chance is much lower. Kinda weird but whatever.
    Just keep gathering that silver and taming larger and larger animals.
    Just because you tamed it once its not time to move to the next animal.
    Collars aren't always consumed on failure but they are for success... which is why to raise your level that 5-10% seems like a good zone to be in. Failures in that <%1 seems to consume collars faster from my limited experience.
    I would recommend having around 10 collars before you really get started.

But really... taming is interesting, its a nice gaming mechanism... but given the joys of acquiring silver its really a lot of effort currently. Next wipe I'll probably just buy pets. They need to have lvl of collar depending on difficulty of animal.... or like a super silver collar makes it easier than a plain leather collar.... something. I dunno.

YMMV... R26 was my first go at taming. Just pulled in my first Large Red Spider the other day. Nice pet. Good DOT.

deonast, Leelu, Luca Xante and 3 others like this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I fully understand this, yet I love the fact that players can create and sell books in the game. I bought Gnick Gnack's guide to taming from his pet store vendor at the entrance to Owl's head for this reason. Last release another famed tamer, Sindariya Tyelma, organized a training session and even gave away taming collars to the students. It was great fun.

With disabling spells like Root getting nerfed, it is a mystery to me how players manage to tame the really high level animals without getting killed first.

deonast, Leelu, Luca Xante and 5 others like this.
  5. Mata

Mata Avatar

In group/party or friends. ;)

6. agra

agra Avatar

That's because sometime in the recent past, collars were only consumed on success, never on failure. Which is the way it should be.
    Now that it's changed back to consume-on-fail, it's once again firmly in the realm of: Sure, you can tame. If you have your own silver mine.
    Awesome.

I mean, seriously... ~2k gold per attempt? What is that? It's insane.

7. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Taming requires two main items, 1) Taming Collars, and 2) Taming /summoning whistles.

To tame a pet, you must equip a summoning whistle on to your neck slot and then attempt to "Tame" the pet by targetting it and then using the "Tame" skill. This skill can be placed on your noncombat bar as well as inside of a combat deck, so the choice of how to use it is your own. Your chances to tame it will depend upon its level, how low the animal is in health and your taming level. There is a chance (fairly high one, at start) that the taming collars will be consumed on use but the better you get at the collar recovery skill (in the taming skill tree) the less those collars would be used.

Once tamed, the pet will be bound into the taming whistle you've equipped. To tame a new pet you'll want to equip a new taming whistle. To summon your pet you just need to have the whistle equipped and use the "Summoning" skill.

Note that while most may consider taming a "gathering' type of skill it actually uses ADVENTURING exp points to train, not production.

Now once you have your pet, there are also a myriad of skills that effect the pets performance and your ability to use it in combat. When your pet gets hurt, naturally youll need to heal it! So you'll want to train the pet healing skills. If your pet DIES it is gone forever unless you resurrect it within 5 minutes of death... So you'll definitely want to also train pet Resurrection!

Other skills in the tree will raise the effective combat level of your pet, add to its health and enhance the damage it does... though not by much. :) They will also effect whether or not your pet runs away in combat - as there's a chance they will do that at lower health levels.

Almost every single skill in this line is a passive skill. This is important to note because of all the skills in shroud of the avatar the passive skills are the most EXP intensive and the hardest to directly raise.

You actively gain skills in this tree by doing the following actions:
    • Taming a wild animal
    • Summoning an animal thats already been tamed using the whistle
    • Casting pet heal on a pet or person (far less effective on people, but can be used in a pinch)
    • Casting resurrect pet on a pet or person (same as above, has something like a 20% chance to actually work on a person vs. 100% on a pet every time =p)
    So that's the basics of how taming works and what it takes to train it and use it actively.

As a tip - if you want to tame youll need to keep a constant supply of the following items:
    • Animal Hides
    • Wood
    • Silver ore
    • Copper or Iron ore
    • Creasote
    • Tanning / Curing Salts
    • Chunks of Coal
    It is also helpful to have a friendly healer to help you out from time to time. You *will* get hit, a lot. You will also be repairing lots of your gear more often than others most likely... because of the rate at which you get hit.

thoregundi, Zader, Arcanoxer and 4 others like this.
  8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

This is untrue. Collars dont have a 100% chance to be consumed on fail and the chance it does rapidly decreases as your collar recovery skill goes up. It could use some work in balancing but its nowhere near the dystopian scenario you describe. Taming can be fun and rewarding - but it definitely requires you to put some work in.

Leelu and Luca Xante like this.
  9. agra

agra Avatar

For me, today, five minutes ago, 100% of my taming attempts consume the collar. Every failure. 100%.
    And
    Today, skilling up the "Collar Recovery" skill to 20 does not change the consumption rate percentage, displayed on the tooltip of "Tame Creature".

In R26, this 100%-collar-consumption-on-failure was not the case. In R27, for me, this is the way it is. And yes, I've bugged it. The bug was not present in R26.

Coolwaters likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Oh NO,

Go Look at threads by Sandariya, Myself or Kanzed they all covered taming very well.

Leelu and Tahru like this.
  11. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Maybe post those thread links for folks, so they can review it? Doesn't have to always be confrontational

losludvig and Quenton like this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You need to tame things with in around 1 - 10 % to get the best collar save. To few and you succed and use a collar EVERY success. To little chance and use more collars.

Dirk Hammerstrike likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Nope Not going to do work There are to many to post, if you are so inclined to learn look them up :)

14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Or, since people are going to ask questions about a new game, and hopefully get interested, we try and be welcoming towards introducing players. My 2 cents anyway.

For the original OP, here's the thread that had some good information by Weins and others:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ining-i-will-keep-updating-and-posting.40078/

15. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

@Chris
    This has become feedback rather than a question about a skill - taming is way way way too complicated. I'm amazed there are people trying to test this with buying 200+ collars plus a whistle per pet. I'm going to test this, but I don't expect to get far.

This isn't like magic where reagents are about 18-24gp per advanced spell with a 10-20% chance to consume the item.

losludvig likes this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Taming is NOT complicated

You need a Collar to tame

and a Whistle to store your tamed pet

Go look in Player Created Resources and find the posts about taming.

17. agra

agra Avatar

With respect, this is not true for R27. Today, you would need hundreds if not thousands of collars, resulting in needing thousands of silver ingots, at 4 silver ore per ingot. It's not just 'a Collar'. That was true in R26. It's not true in R27.
    In R27, a taming collar is consumed on EVERY ATTEMPT at taming, regardless if that attempt results in a success or failure. That's why I opened a bug. The behavior has changed, for me, from R26 to R27.

You'll also note, the bug has not been moved into feedback, but rather, has been entered into the bug database indicating something is not working as intended.
    Or put another way, if it was working as intended, then it would have been moved out of the bug forum into feedback.

I'll be happy to go back to testing Taming when the bug is fixed, and collars are only consumed on success, not failure, like it was in R26.

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok Peeps listen to who you want, Taming is NOT all that hard.

Went out to check and of course 2 attempts, gained a skill used one collar, ONE. 5 more attempts and NO collars used, NONE. Succeeded on 6th attempt therefore collar consumed.

Stick with taming creatures around 10% success to conserve collars the best.

FrostII likes this.
  19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

More Proof that Collars are NOT consumed on every attempt. Went out tried my luck at the Biggest meanie I can find and had a few attempts that did NOT eat collars but did gain a few levels :)

Only 5 out of 13 :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  20. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

That is not true at all. I used only around 350 collars to get lvl 100 in taming. You only need to know basics in skilling and taming to achieve it. Now with the faster skilling it is even less. Using a GM as helper will reduce the number again.

I will not tell you those secrets because I need to sell pets. But a sure thing is, buying a pet is much cheaper than taming it yourself.

Kara Brae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.