Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I think the xp decay thing is a really dumb idea

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by peetaur, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Currently there is nothing to gain from PVP, so why would you get punished for dying? Build a system that lets those interested in PVP "earn" something of value then maybe consider penalizing a death. Until then it's all risk, no reward.

2. lollie

lollie Avatar

Because the only reason to moderate levels is for competitive activities...cooperative activities have no need to moderate levels. In competitive activities, a higher level player is a problem whereas in cooperative activities a higher level player is helpful.

So all the level moderation needs to be applied during the competitive activities.

A PVP player could just leech or grind infinitely to a high level then PVP with his high level forever in perfect safety. The only unsafe activities will be PVE activities where people are actually testing their skills against hard opponents...making it very likely people will stop doing these things and simply safely grind or afk leech their way to the top.

Then spend the rest of the game with the other PVP nancys risking nothing (wearing disposable items and banking all possible droppables).

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Please. Read what I said.
    This is not what I said, though I admit that it might be what you want to understand.
    Meaningful pvp deaths require a meaningful pvp.
    And that's something that isn't existing at the moment.
    What we have is player organized stuff. They have my respect for organizing it but there is nothing in it but bragging rights and maybe some gold as prize money.
    How is that risk vs reward?

Beside: PVPers do pve too otherwise they can't pvp. They actually have to deal with more than the average pve player. So much about Nancy's and the other fancy stuff you came up with.

4. lollie

lollie Avatar

That's rubbish, PVPers don't lose anything undroppable, and now PVPers don't lose any xp either even though levels are only an issue in PVP/competitive situations.

PVE players and crafters have the most dangerous environments to play in, in both cases they actually lose something on fails. In PVP players lose nothing on a fail (undroppable equipment, safely banked inventories and no skill decay on death).

A PVP player can safely afk leech his way to the top for his XPing then PVP with no risk at all. Only PVE players who enjoy risking their lives in tough battles risk anything here.

PVPers are the nanciest nancys in the whole game.

5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

You crack me up....ROFL

6. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

AMEN!

I really took note of this last night..I'm not a big numbers guy..I don't have one of those brains that selects every move based on a mathematical calculation. I basically just play seat of the pants. I happened to take note (generally) at my pools just before a death last night...then as I wanted to modify something I Hit K just after I res'd.. I had around 865K b4 death and something like 825 right after. Hey I'm only lvl 70 or so...all I could say was DAMN!

I agree there should be some penalty for death but as with many of the "improvements" I think the pendulum is pegged in the wrong direction at present. It makes a dif in how I'll be playing for a bit.. that much is certain.

Moiseyev Trueden, lollie and Budner like this.
  7. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Ok I'm guessing from your repetitive use of Nancy and PVPers in the same sentence either you really dislike Nancy, PVPers or both. ;)

All joking aside I actually agree with some of your points. The ability to level up in safety on friends or flipping the oracle switch is not conducive to the hard core PVP many of us miss. And the ability to steal without risk is bogus, and is in need of a major fix.

IMO
    1: Every player get one extra character slot, this slot is strictly a PVP character and can only be played in multiplayer. Never single or friends only.

2: Old characters get one free oracle flip either direction and if flagged to PVP then the follow the same rules as in #1

Your comment that PVPer have it easier then the PVEer is just a straw dog. They have to deal with the same risks and the rare chance of a PVP encounter if they are multiplayer, although I will admit it's rare for them to be in multiplayer.

8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

And meaningful PVE death would require Meaningful combat with a reward at the end. Punishing death with EXP decay adds no meaning anywhere, PVP,PVE, or even RP. We all should be screaming for meaningful content that will then lead to meaningful Deaths. Not defending a stupid mechanic that will do nothing but grief players trying new things.

9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Your reward is additional resources in PVP zones. Another wonderful ckncept that seems to be working so well.

Moiseyev Trueden and lollie like this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

But back on the subject of this decay.

I really do not think they thought this mechanic out long term.

Imagine in another year your days would consists of farming exp to maintain your sills before you can go out fighting what you want to fight. When you decay costs 100,000 at the 4 hour max because you have 250,000,000 experience points assigned. How long would you be willing to play that game before you decide the cost of what you want to do is greater than the time you want to spend to do it?

Moiseyev Trueden, Spoon and lollie like this.
  11. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I dunno, at that point it's not an issue. I would have preferred a hard cap but a system the "levels" us out based on decay could work, but it will be tricky to get right.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

How does it level you out? so someone grinds all day every day in an easy area with little to know chance of death. Reaches GM in every skill, and cost is 100K EXP when they die. They grind 100K EXP then go have fun, die need more grinding, then go have fun. No balance just more time commitment. The balance comes from the Deck Builder, witch now limits what that player with every GM can use down to a reasonable amount that you can get to with minmal effort. The big benefit the long term player would have is in the innates.

13. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Yes, and make it Ironman mode with full loot.

14. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Important point you make. Im sure they are some fun boss fights with very delicious loot in the future plans of sota. At least I hope or decay will be pointless

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Awww you poor thing. Show us on the paper doll where the evil pvper touched you back in the days.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

I'm taking that as agreement you have no argument to offer.

Your total surrender is accepted.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I have a lot of arguments to offer.
    But since you decided to ignore 90% of my post a second time I decided I am not going to feed you.

18. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Stop telling people to "Get over it" everyone is allowed to express their opinions. You do not have the right to keep telling people how they should think or feel.

19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Can't happen that way. At a certain point there isn't enough experience going into your pool, you'll deplete it. Then you can kill all you want, but you will NOT gain in your skills.

20. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

XP gain is fixed, just turn off all skills, stand in an area with mobs that can't threaten you and leave something heavy on a key mapped to an AoE attack. Leave it runnine overnight and profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.