I wish there were some rainbow flags in the bar in the fall.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Andartianna, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Isnt there already a ton of stuff in game relating to RL religious symbols, culture symbols and examples of the lgtb community though?
    I mean i could argue that the darkstar shield resembles old templar style which is a christian reference no?

I just think trying to keep all RL symbolism out of game is un realistic, and then hits the opposite end of argument, to.. why is this allowed and this isnt?

I go back to my point that in a game thats emphisized customizeable decorations, community and social interacton as a key feature, theres some pretty basic symbolism they can put in or allow implemented that only opens up the appeal to more people in personal representation.

Its supposed to be sandbox.. that means RL symbolism is a part of the game.
    Rainbow flag. Or dyable/multi color flag ties in with the idea of customizable emblems that was promised already, and is a pretty simple deco request that either appeals to you or doesnt. And frankly its one of those, appeals to more people then it upsets people, general good for the community things.

Hell id even go so far as saying, its sandbox. Deco makers should make purchaseable shrines / decos of the top 20 religions? Its easy selling decos. Good for game. Doesnt effect an individuals game anymore then snowmen, and some of the already ludacris decorations already in play.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

And sure theres an ignore button.. but way easier to point out when someones a douchbag in general.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Neither do you apparently.

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Not really. If it was actually a true real sandbox, people would be able to make their OWN christmas trees or rainbow flags with game mechanics. I would be fine with this, do what you want.

Selling a decorated tree in the addon store does not a sandbox make.

MrBlight likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I still maintain that Portalarium should not turn the game into a political statement. If you want to line up several multicolor flags to make a rainbow that's all well and dandy, but Portalarium shouldn't have to make in-game content specifically for that.

6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Wow, one trigger and that escalated quickly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The ability to add multiple single color flags onto one flag / pole then. Seems like a reasonable game mechanic request then?
    Ties in with sandbox desire aswell no?

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Provided it is strictly 'player content' yes.

MrBlight likes this.
  9. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Just to make it perfectly clear - from a worldbuilding perspective, we made it a very clear goal early on that sexual orientation is treated differently in Novia - it is not remarked on as unusual or ostracized, it's treated as part of a person's makeup. There are same-sex couples throughout Novia - they are easily found in Ardoris but there are others elsewhere.

Much as racism doesn't exist in Novia (except for those kobolds, they can die in a fire), in some ways New Britannia is a better land than our own.

10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi all,

I'd like to apologize to those who've had to deal with seeing some of the responses in this thread over the last day of activity. I haven't personally been able to review the thread until now, and see that it escalated quite quickly with a serious derail attempt by one individual in particular. I also see the many Reports on the thread, thank you all that tried to give us warning here.

To respond with the question right away about the bar, no, there is no "gay bar" in the game. While the topic here is not a political issue but a human rights and equality issue, we still are very sensitive with how we support real life representations in the game. For example, will we ever have an LGBT rainbow flag made? Perhaps not. Will we have a rainbow cloth, or multiple clothes you can string together to make such a flag, and even help promote your events around that expression? Quite possibly. Does this freedom of expression though give you the right to string together a swastika and proclaim white supremacy in a symbol of hate? No, there is a limit, one in which we carefully mention in the EULA and especially in the community rules & guidelines here:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/community-rules-guidelines.54804/

As you've seen with our mentioning community events like AERIE Fund's initiatives, we support a wide range of community efforts around not just game events, but real life ones as well. You (we) are a family of gamers in New Britannia, not just some pixels on a screen without emotions. For a healthy community to survive and grow, it needs that real life connection as well, but some of that real life can remain at the door if it contains hate and intolerance. Everyone in the community needs to support each other, or at the very least not abuse each other, even if they have religious or other ideological differences. If they do not accept that equality and insist on continuing to disrupt the larger community in an aggressive and especially threatening way, they will be removed.

I hope this is all understood. Again, our apologies for taking too long to get to this thread. If you wish to continue to discuss the underlying topic, please feel free to create a new thread. We just ask that you keep it free of politics, religion, and other considerations that are against the community rules & guidelines. If you have concerns with a topic's direction, please contact me via PM and I will be more than happy to review the concern.

Thank you,
    Berek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.