Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I would like to have these put away

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by miserable, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miserable

miserable Avatar

Dear Devs,

Why do such items as a steam punk hat, a radio (especially when playing 90' disco) or a robot exist in the game?

I really felt bad seeing those the first time and I still do. In my opinion that sort of things belong to another game all together. These single items loitering around the game just breaks the illusion of being a part of a fantasy world. Please allow us to make the decision whether or not to see them? In the general settings tab would be a selection "pure/true RPG" ;) and selecting it would make bad things go away, right?

You're spending hours for these... irrelevant and annoying objects where as you could focuse on bringing us true warriors better and more pure MMORPG experience :)

Thanks.

Zchosen likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome miserable. Well as to the radio, it was created by a couple of our community members and it does serve a purpose. I believe it will allow some recordings of members voices for plays and such, plus it is attached to avatar radio which is run by other members of the community and they can make announcements. I am not totally knowledgeable about all aspects of this, so perhaps someone else will chime in. You won't see the item ingame unless you have pledged at a level that receives it. Some items are just in there for pre alpha and you won't see when the game is released. :)

unless someone you know has it that is;) I think it is gorgeous myself. We do have some talented community members:) edited to make more sense , sorry:eek:

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I have to say I do understand where you're coming from.. but "pure/true RPG" or fantasy is not defined by tech level of the world.

One needs to keep in mind that SotA is the "spiritual successor" to Ultima.. it is basically the official, unofficial continuation of Ultima.. we can't say it officially or make direct references for legal reasons but it is the same world... and that world had a certain level of technology.. (much of it magically based). Which included.. among other things.. life-sized human automations.

Now here we are several hundred years later. These things may seem unusual but they're not completely without precedence in the world.

4. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Avatar's Radio is a big part of our game. Having a place to listen to community podcasts and music is awesome. It does fit in with the Lore. There are Tesla towers that give the cities power, hence giving power for devices like the radio, the phonograph and other gadgets that we will see.

Also, the avatars are from Earth, so it's expected that things from Earth or similar ideas could come to this world. The original Ultima's also had technology...RPGs are not only swords and horses :)

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Then it shouldn't be playing modern music. If it is a big part of the world make it a big part of the world we are supposed to be in...not the real world. Make it in game and not out of character discussions. Then, I would agree with you.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I often my speak against certain influences from Earth.. at the same time other influences in moderation are to be expected. Especially in terms of technology. I don't find the radio to be too much. The concept of frequency or amplitude modulation is relatively simple.. and with thousands of outlanders arriving from Earth.. they will carry their personal knowledge with them. Some of those are bound to try to incorporate that knowledge.

A long time ago I made a post regarding the use of modern knowledge / techniques with New Britannia materials. For example.. what kind of boots would a cobbler from Earth make while living in New Britannia? Would they use Earth style soles in their boots? Would a blacksmith from Earth use their knowledge to build a superior forge or better alloys?

As a developer I would try to limit said influences but not having any at all as they relation to crafts and technology over the long term would just be.. a little weird.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If they're playing modern music I agree. With my bandwidth limits I haven't listened to the radio at all. I think ultimately they should stick to in-game music or otherwise old world music.

Fox Cunning likes this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yep, rock and what not....apparently it adds to the immersion. I, however do not believe it does.

9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

An RPG is not defined by setting. It is not less of an RPG because there is some steampunk in the setting.

I think the music can hurt immersion, but the radio can be set to different Streamcast feeds. Perhaps there can be a setting to turn it to more period appropriate music?

blaquerogue and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm waiting until someone puts in a youtube watcher....my son drives me crazy with that crap.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well, I do get where you are coming from...Would be cool to adjust the style of music to fit our tastes :) I do not like all of the music that comes thru either, but I love the radio :)

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh it has potential...but at the moment it is world immersion breaking(tm). I think it could be utilized to actually bring the world lore really to life.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The thread here in the forums for when the device was coded said it could be tuned to other streams. I'm not sure how they will eventually expose that functionality in the game.

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Ya, I've heard that too enderandrew. I am actually quite looking forward to the functionality of the phonograph....where I can play my chosen music/newscasts/podcasts :p

15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

youtube here we come;)

Sir Dorham Isycle likes this.
  16. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Playing on steampunk tvs in our houses

17. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i've seen several people say they think the radio needs to play certain types of music... i disagree. if you want that 'period appropriate music' - then make a feed and have them add it to the radio stations you'll be able to change it to.

as it stands right now, having the item in game and not clicking it is not messing with immersion. having it in game, AND clicking on it, has the ability to break you the gamer out of immersion, if you let it. i choose to not let it break me out of immersion.

besides, the radio also has a limited area of influence on the person who turned it on. you walk away form it, you stop hearing it after enough distance. nor can i turn it on and force you to hear it.

lastly, there are plays and readings (books, poetry, whatever), where people will be able to use the radio to stream their words, while roleplaying on the stage acting out the words too. - that enhances the immersion factor there.

i'd like to presume that all of these arguments EVERYONE has said here, myself included, have been stated in dev meetings, when deciding *IF* they wished to add it or not. - and they made their decision. - so for those that think it breaks immersion, don't click on it so you can stay immersed, while i click on it so i can stay immersed. THAT is their goal anyway...

FireLotus and blaquerogue like this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I wonder sometimes if this is a RPG or a social experiment game.....

19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

There is a difference?

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes....that is what was wrong with UO. Do you want a believable world or a social hangout. There is a big difference between the two.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.