Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I would like to have these put away

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by miserable, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

I'm of the opinion the two can be achieved together. I see no reason why they shouldn't, when you discount the arguments against evolution and change from the norm.

blaquerogue likes this.
  2. Maerlin Rebeard

Maerlin Rebeard Avatar

I'm not sure if it has been brought up as a bug yet (if it still does this in R13 I'll bug it) but the radio also plays out of a sound channel (on my Linux Ubuntu system) that is not mixed with the rest of the game.

Imagine my dismay when I dropped gold for my shiny new radio and upon turning it on found music heavy metal blaring out my HDMI monitor speakers instead of my bluetooth headphones thus waking up the kids, the wife, and completely ruining my incognito late night gaming campaign!

Ok - maybe it wasn't heavy metal but it wasn't themed to the game which did surprise me until I learned a bit more about the radio.

Personally, I also hope that the steampunk aspect remains limited but at least what's there is tasteful IMHO. I was really turned away from UO2 when it was first announced and was glad to see it go away.

Spoon likes this.
  3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

There was mention of a new race of mechanised bad guys wasn't there?

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i haven't heard that...but clockwork drones controled by magic, you have to kill wave after wave of them would be neat... i wouldn't mind having a clockwork npc vendor at my disposal afterwards.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I haven't heard anything either, but since they're driven by magic.. it's conceivable any decent evil mage NPC could get any army built. :)

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

wow you like to argue! if we came from earth in this game, why wouldnt we hear earthin music? maybe i brought my cd player with me!? There is a switch you can click to turn it off! Just pointing that out :)

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's called discussing....if we don't want to have any continuity, then the game will look like a mishmash of ideas and get lambasted for it.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And how long would the batteries on that thing last? :) Would it even be possible to get it to run on aethereal energy?

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i would hook it up to the windmill and charge it :) maybe steal some electricity from the fence to charge it with my meteoric rock connecting the batteries and the electricity! :) Or i could steal the batteries out of the automan! :)

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't think the automations run on batteries. :)

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well i have copper wire!!!! :) thats half the battle!

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think it would be hilarious to see a walkman type headpiece with a micro tesla tower on it in a backpack configuration, that siphons electricity off the town power sources, but can also power items in your inventory.. like saw blades on a sword..or automagic lock picks.. or just store electricity for chaos magic use...which can blow up in your face

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That doesn't work though. This since any petty neighbor argument will result in an aether amplifier aimed your way set to the channel you hate the most...
    Or walking into the local bar...
    Or just plain walking in any city listening to the background noise...
    Etc

Unless the devs add a feature option for it there will no "got your popular music off my lawn" escape.

14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

but it isn't on by default. if i turn it on, you won't hear it.

i do like a similar idea to what you jsut said though. have it remember your station preference.

15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Well, if you look at this series by Noah Antwiler on youtube starting with the Ultima I review (language maybe questionable for those that are sensitive), you'd realize there is nothing wrong with having futuristic stuff mixed in with middle age stuff all in the same game by the British Lord. I forgot about this part until I saw that review.

16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Stations are coming "later"...

But you missed the grumpy middle age+ angle, turning it off would also turn off "my classical tune from when people still made music and not this awful noise" (TM).

Sarcasm apart though it would be great if you could set which 'channel' that you hear from any and all amplifiers. That way everyone would always hear exactly what they want, and not be disturbed by other peoples' taste etc.

So you, I and a horse walk into a bar. You will hear sounds cursed by the titans, I will hear the hymns of gargoyles and the barkeep will ask the horse "why the long face" as usual.
    (After which we drink too much start a brawl and realize that one of us have to get the drunk horse home...)

17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I agree that the "modern" items in SOTA are immersion-breaking. And this bothered me, for a while.

Now I've just accepted that this is the way things will be, and it's been liberating to embrace the multi-era aspects of SOTA, rather than fight them.

If you try to make sense of what fits and what doesn't, you'll go mad. And everyone will have a different opinion on what items add to and subtract from immersion.

I still have issues with various game mechanics, which are less about immersion and more about playability, but as for ITEMS ..... let it go.

Just enjoy it.

Easier said than done, perhaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.