Idea: Lore-friendly Recipes help (NPCs)

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Lonig, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonig

Lonig Avatar

So, this may already be an idea submitted, but I am having a heck of a time finding recipes as a newer player (KS backer, but havent played much since last wipe). So, here it is!

Feature:
    - Speaking to NPCs related to the crafting type and asking about a specific 'type' will have them offer guidance toward the area or even person who specializes in that crafting type and sells recipes.

Example:
    1) Walk to up Carpenter NPC in Owls Head. Initiate conversation, and say 'long bow'. The NPC would then respond with something like "Hmm. I've heard about Dave in Soltown who works with bows. You should seek them out if you want to learn more."
    2) Walk up to Carpenter NPC in Owls Head. Initiate conversationg and say 'chainmail'. The NPC responds with "I don't know much about blacksmithing. You might seek out Dave the blacksmith here in town and ask them."

Reasoning:
    - Carpenters will know (or have heard of) other carpenters. Especially ones who are the top of their craft. At the very least, they would know of the area that might specialize in that craft. It makes no sense that no one in the world knows about chainmail, except the npc who is selling the recipe.
    - This still allows for exploration and makes the NPCs feel even more alive. Not all of the NPCs would know the persons name to seek out, but they would know the region or even a city to help guide your search.

Potential pitfalls:
    - If done in the 'perfect' manner, this would add a ton of parsing logic and increase the maintenance of the NPC dialog database by a "ton". To alleviate that, I suggest the first version to simply have all NPCs respond to each keyword with the exact same response. As time goes on, you could work toward the 'regional' idea as you get a chance. This does require the parsing logic to allow 'if / else' logic. ie: if npc==anika respond with i sell chainmail else respond with seek out anika.
    - The first iteration is likely going to be too 'easy' to find your recipe. Since you'll likely not have time to implement the different NPC logic for 'in current region'/'in same town'/'wrong crafting profession'/etc.

I would love to hear folks feedback on this. While I do not know the current parsing logic they use for the npcs, I hope this would be doable. I've being driven nuts by finding recipes right now, and it just struck me odd that there is no ingame way to ask around and get any sort of guidance for it. I also feel that the NPCs would know of masters of their craft, or regions that specialize in a type.

2. Lonig

Lonig Avatar

Aww... I was hoping to spark conversation! Did I put this in the wrong place @Berek ?

3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It looks like it may have been moved. Where was the original location, General Discussion?

4. Lonig

Lonig Avatar

@Berek I put it here on my own. Figured this was the best place for it. I guess I should just stick to General forum?

Berek likes this.
  5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.