Ideas to remove less desirable gear from the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

To remove the glut of mediocre gear items from the game you have to incentivize playres to do so.

A high effort way to do so is to make them a resource for some system that ties into sieges, or similar, and show a tangible result. A POT can place a guard post, you feed it with crappy weapons and that has some sort of effect on the sieges around it. Supply enough weapons and you can cancel seiges for a week or month.

A lower effort way to do that is to create a new currency, Reputation, for instance. Earn points toward titles by supplying the guards.

An even lower effort method that also fixes a different broken system would be to tie it into the mysterious system of Virtue. Give us a way to supply to both Cabalists and Guards. Doing so sways our Virtue.

(This will replace stealing potatoes as the best way to become evil, but maybe that is an improvment, as a Virtue system where the decorators are the most evil players in game strikes me as a broken system. I mean, you REALLY have to grind stupid stuff (like being mean to beggars) to be bad in this game.)

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Wilfred and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wilfred likes this.
  4. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Ultima Online solved this problem ages ago... It was called Cleanup Britania... put your crap in special bin and get chances for cool stuff. Done.

Mhtic, Lord Aventine, Mishra and 6 others like this.
  5. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

I salvage what I don't want when I can. The use I can put the resulting material to provides all the incentive I need.

What I can't salvage and don't want I toss, as I normally do with what is garbage to me.

6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

But why? Sieges mean nothing anymore.

Vaiden Luro and Elrond like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I have such fond memories of that, all the hoarding of dumb junk finally paid off. I remember just throwing stuff into the bin.

What were they giving out for the rewards, wasn't it just those different statues?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Vaiden Luro and macnlos like this.
  8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Yeah, statues, tickets and what not. It was simple but it was fun.

Adam Crow likes this.
  9. eli

eli Avatar

Just need to give back 25% of invested silver, gold, and metal/cloth/wood type used upon salvage. 4 crap pieces to one do-over attempt feels reasonable.

kaeshiva, Rinaldi and Mhtic like this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Simplest thing to do and it will work. No need to complicate things.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Define “Cool Stuff”.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  12. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Crafting enough said..

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

My thought would be to provide a use for less optimal gear that provides benefits similar to artifacts.

Add a alchemy item, like "Scroll of Disenchantment".

Take the item and a scroll on an Alchemy table to remove all masterwork, enchantments, and durability. These "disenchanted" pieces retain component bonuses, but aren't useful for wearing.

Combine one "good" gear with three "disenchanted" pieces to level it up to Uncommon. Same process again to make a Rare. Again to make a Legendary.

Now each crafted component adds value, and you still get the benefits of enchant/masterwork without them being overpowered. And it gets rid of a LOT of extra pieces where ench/mw were the only issues.

14. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

We already have salvage skill.. we need a lot more components, silver and gold scraps as income.

kaeshiva and Anpu like this.
  15. Mhtic700R

Mhtic700R Avatar

If salvage would return more stuff, much more stuff, people would just scrap them. I do think thats one of the best ideas.

I do like mac's idea of having a massive garbage with rewards, but that seems like a lot of work, and would it really help the game server to run smoother?

kaeshiva and SmokerKGB like this.
  16. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

100%

Simply increase salvaged items from any gear, this has been said/requested for years btw.... someone said it would destroy the economy so... yea.

Vaiden Luro, Drilikath and Mhtic like this.
  17. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

But Lord British wants noobs to find player made gear to ruin the sweet loot tables they've designed..... how will this plan ever come to fruition with these changes! /s

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I also say: define "junk" stuff... 1 man's junk is another man's riches... I ask: if it's junk, why are you saving it? Scrap it and get on with your crafting... I find making refined items take much less resources when done from scraps, very economical, IMO...

I bet if you put this junk on a vendor, at a lowered price, it would sell quite quickly... or maybe not, depends on your clients...

You can scrap rings/necklaces for gold/silver scraps... I'd like to get back some jewel fragments too...

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Salvage would work better if it was like repair; if you do it in the field (i.e., current destroy option) you get scrap and not much else, but if you do it at a station you get a lot better results.

Most junk isn't worth picking up at all, so being able to scrap it easily would be a huge benefit. Player gear drops and stuff with valuable components would be worth carting home.

Vaiden Luro and Numa like this.
  20. Toular

Toular Avatar

I GM'd blacksmithing, tailoring and carpentry from salvaging ... just sayin'

Ok, so there was some actual crafting of stuff in there too, but salvage was probably over half of my skill gain. So ... "Junk"?

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.