Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

If Avatars are projections of ourselves... Nintendo Mii-style Face Generation?

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Crazy Phil, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

@RichardGarriott has mentioned that he doesn't like the investment typical character creation demands before you've had a chance to see if you're actually going to like playing the game...

An option would be to start in a ghost-like form, so you could play around with the controls a bit, then look into a special mirror perhaps to begin customizing your character...

but... if Avatars are supposed to be projections of ourselves... Nintendo already has some tech worth reviewing...

[​IMG]

Imagine if you had the option to use your computer's camera to generate a list of "close enough" faces to choose from. If they're not exactly what you wanted, there's an option to enter the in-depth character customization from there using the chosen generated face as the starting point.

This would definitely speed up character creation for me personally, as I always try to make my characters resemble myself in some way. :)

Moiseyev Trueden and Budner like this.
  2. Selene

Selene Avatar

I'm still interested to see how the custom heads from the high pledge tiers turn out. :D When they get around to it.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Please don't make character generation dependent on hardware not everyone has.

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

I think the customization choices would need to expand before I'd really feel like we'd need a system like that in place.

I can already imagine it!

[​IMG]

It's not hardware dependent if it's a feature within the customize tool like every other similar system. Even setups that ALWAYS come with cameras (like the WiiU and the 3DS) won't force you to use it.

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If it depends on a web cam, then it is hardware dependent.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Gix

Gix Avatar

But that's like saying that the game is hardware dependent, because it depends on:
    • A mouse
    • A keyboard
    • A CPU
    • A GPU
    • RAM
    • Harddrive
    • etc...
    Like, OF COURSE it's dependent on hardware. The thing you misunderstood is that an additional (optional) functionality that is designed to help users with something that the base game already provides should not be brushed off because "some people don't have the hardware". Like my original comment says: "Most setup that do this don't force you to use it"

Rainbow Six Vega 2 had function where you could take pictures of face (front view and side view) and it would map out a 3D head fully textured (with your face) for you to use in the game. It was optional.

Also, 1999 called...

CrazyPhil likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Web cams are pretty cheap if you don't have one built in. And if they actually do something like that, it would just be add-on functionality.

CrazyPhil likes this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The point is that character creation isn't optional. Most desktops don't have web cames. Every computer has a CPU and GPU. You're saying that people without a web cam can't do character creation. That is the definition of a hardware dependent feature.

On top of that, this feature usually works poorly on the Wii/Wii U. And it would be a massive waste of development time and dollars that could be spent elsewhere.

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

He's saying the opposite of that, that it would just be an optional feature.

CrazyPhil likes this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

THE POINT, is that the @Alley Oop doesn't want character creation to be hardware dependent. I'm saying that it wouldn't be hardware dependent because the webcam tech would be ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY.

So I'm saying the exact opposite of what you think I'm saying; I'm saying that people without a webcam WOULD STILL be able to do character creation. That is the opposite of hardware dependency!

CrazyPhil likes this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Doesn't EA have something called game face? Last I checked it was down for upgrades. However it actually would take a picture of your face from two angels and let you import it into EA sports games. I used it for UFC 2 about a month ago. Guy looks just like me. Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

This is a striking resemblance... at least in the face. Looks slightly different but part of that is because the tattoo I have. EA Game Face Folks.

CrazyPhil and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Here's a better one. I had to fix the eyebrows they weren't showing up properly.

[​IMG]

CrazyPhil and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

Your goatee is somehow above your eyes!

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well the software wasn't perfected yet. From what I understand it went down for some kind of upgrade.

15. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think this is a really neat idea. At the very least, even if this is too much tech for the short term, it would be nice to have than one "starter face". No matter how much we all tweak and twist one starter face, we all end up looking like siblings.

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That's cause we're all the same avatar in different bodies while being different people (think Shirley MacLaine). Inbreeding of the souls or some such thing.

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

He was suggesting the ability to do this as an option. Theability to create a character the traditional way would still be there

CrazyPhil likes this.
  18. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This face-sculpting-from-web-cam-or-photo-technology would be really interesting to see on female avatars who are males in real life.:rolleyes:

19. Selene

Selene Avatar

Might work okay.

[​IMG]

20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Goodness that would gross me out, gag me with a spoon fer sure.... really hope they don't implement this.

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.