Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

If wolves are aggressive why do they run?

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by brhanson2, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Sorta curious is all :)

Budner and Leelu like this.
  2. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Amazing question...the answer is not a good one. Because Portalarium wants them to.

V/R Brickbat

Leelu likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

They run to have behaviors. I would like to see them do a bit more like stand back and growl and snarl at you perhaps especially if their level was less than yours. Perhaps running could mean they are lower level in skill than you. They did start getting running away behaviors when we complained about creatures not having any personality and just standing there a few feet apart to attack and not doing animal/creature like daily things. Now they can be found hunting each other at times and have some AI to add interest.

Numa and Leelu like this.
  4. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

A number of factors here, I believe...
    First... most animals will run from you before they decide to attack you... unless they are hungry or are defending territory. So that behavior is actually legitimate.
    Also...if they are below your adventurer level (so that their name appears green), they will often run away, since you are big and scary. ;)
    If their name is yellow or orange, then they will most likely attack on sight... and if there are a bunch of them nearby, the pack mentality kicks in and they ALL come for you.

5. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Agree with all above and they are considered pack animals in the wild. They rarely hunt alone unless injured or very old. A successful hunt involves the entire pack usually.:)

Wolves live and hunt in packs of around six to ten animals. They are known to roam large distances, perhaps 12 miles (20 kilometers) in a single day. These social animals cooperate on their preferred prey—large animals such as deer, elk, and moose. ... Usually this male and female are the only animals of the pack to breed.

6. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Wolves run if you have your weapon drawn, and you are clearly higher level than them. They will attack if you attack their food source. That's what I've noticed. If you sheath your weapon and get too close, they may attack or may not. But as soon as I run next to them w/my weapon drawn, they hightail it outta there 99% of the time. I realize this is only part of the story, but I hope it helps.

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Leelu like this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

If they're going to run, can they please stop re-engaging in combat like a yo-yo and leave me in peace?

Datendrache, Leelu and Budner like this.
  8. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

don't sheath your weapon, or piss them off by shooting a deer, or skinning one then! heh

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

If they attack you (regardless of your weapon), defending yourself will often get them to run away when they're near death... only to have them come back to you... and then immediately run away again, etc.

It's like the AI can't commit.

Leelu likes this.
  10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Stay below full health. They'll be more likely to attack you.

The desert wolves are the only ones I've had run away from me once engaged since persistence. That doesn't affect me too much since my primary wolf choices are Elder and Obsidian.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Leelu likes this.
  11. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Oh yea? I don't remember them running away after they start attacking very often if at all. Seems odd, unless they're running to get more wolves as was stated before. Just slow them, and hunt them down. :D

Leelu likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What I've noticed is that if any mob (wolf, elf, bear skeleton, whatever) locks on to you then all the other nearby mob's also lock onto you. The only ones that won't lock on to you are the non aggressive creatures like dear, squirrels, rabbits, etc. However, if you're an archer, you will target and shoot the nearest one, aggressive or not, as soon as the first mob targets you.

I think this logic need some serious work.

13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Or they are programmed to behave like wolves. Wolves are hit and run pack animals. The flee and come back behavior seems odd if you are fighting them one on one. Or even two or three. But if you had five or six wolves on you, you would be frustrated at how effective that was. Especially against opponents lacking ranged attacks.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

I know what it's supposed to do.

If I ever was going to beat a wolf to near death IRL, I bet my life that it wouldn't bother coming back to me until it heals or finds the rest of its pact. Not to mention it wouldn't be physically capable of running... at all.

Because it's NEAR DEATH!

Matt Harris likes this.
  15. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

A lot of good feedback here. Thank you!

16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yeah, true, but...
    it's not just wolves... all animals run away, even tons of obsi bears arround you....
    A stupid & annoying AI system imo...

17. Vodalion [BEAR]

Vodalion [BEAR] Avatar

why not add an enchantment option to Bear / Wolf hats that says:

Bear Hat: Bears will not attack
    Wolf Hat: Wolfs will not attack

this way it is optional and crafting is involved ...

when i equipped my first wolf-hat i had hopes wolfes would no longer attack me - i was wrong ..

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This change went in awhile ago, and I still like it. I like that mobs can be a little unpredictable. Having a wolf run off then only come back to bite me in the $&@8 when I start mining a node is great. Much more interesting than the dull old mob who just runs up predictably over and over.

19. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Hmm... I'd not had bears not attack or run away before. Guess I just encounter fewer bears.

20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Happens on an regular basis to me, guess it depends on ADV Level, dunno.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.