if you were a dev, how would you approach these forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tahru, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If you were a dev, how would you approach these forums?

1. No matter what you do, there will be at least one thread in opposition after time and money was spent on it.

2. You want to gain innovative ideas.

3. You want to make the game that makes people happy.

So, if you were Darkstarr, what you do with the forums?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Alexander, Leelu, aldraren and 4 others like this.
  2. lollie

lollie Avatar

Read things and consider the arguments, then explain my own reasoning for the decisions that are being made after considering all the feedback.

Mitara, Alexander, Budner and 5 others like this.
  3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Introduce new subsection for repeat topics, implement temp-ban policy for repeat posts in different areas, PM cute girls offering in game items for pics.

4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I'll be honest and say that I couldn't handle the job. Darkstarr is much better than I would be.

I would just make the best game I could, prototype features and ask for specific feedback.

I would tune out every thread that was not constructive for sanity sake.

I wouldn't let anyone know what is coming because too many cooks is not good and most people don't know what is possible nor how to visualize the plan without experiencing it.

Alexander, Leelu, aldraren and 4 others like this.
  5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would focus on under-promising and over-delivering, instead of the opposite. ;)

Apollyon9515, Leelu, Myrcello and 2 others like this.
  6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

You missed option 4: read them for fun after lots of [insert favorite alcoholic drink here]

:)

7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If I was a Dev - I'd ***** and moan until someone funded a PR team.

Wanted to come back and add.... seriously. I would seriously want a PR team to be the face of everything. Youtube, Twitch, Forums, in game events, everything... I'd want their reputations to remain as neutral as possible so they could better facilitate restrictions, transitions, and big surprises... because we all know, no matter how awesome or incredible or ground breaking a new thing is - someone is going to hate it and they're going to catch the forums on fire.

Developers develop. Moderators moderate. Writers write. Public relations people break the news, soak up all the negative feedback and work through it, and remain diplomatic when things go south. They keep the peace better than anyone else possibly could, because it's all they'd do. It's a win win; a win for the developers and win for the backers. And the moderators could handle all the bad kids on the down low... they ban hammer all the really bad apples and the PR team keeps the focus on the game.

8. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Some of the wisest words written on these forums, ...give the man a prize....a PR Job!!

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

In part I do think that is what Berek does. Since he has joined, things have improved from this backer's perspective. You are definitely correct in my opinion. It's hard to focus on an inherently complicated architecture while being pulled every which way. Further, handling social networking can be motivationally draining.

Leelu, Myrcello and Duke Avery like this.
  10. lollie

lollie Avatar

A dev can't rely on another person bringing the public's opinions to them, they need to read it for themselves, or the news they receive might be only moderated and censored information.

zyxe, Leelu, Duke Avery and 1 other person like this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I doubt he would want the Job.
    PR people are mainly needed when the **** Hits the Fan.
    Because it's their Job to tell the customers that the stuff that just blew into their faces is actually Gold ;-)

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I'd make sure to use the forums better for distributing information.

Communication has, and probably always will be, a major problem and there should be a never-ending attempt to get better.

13. lollie

lollie Avatar

Exactly, PR people are liars and cheats! And smell funny.

Leelu, FrostII, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I would give people more leeway to talk and argue. I've had things deleted here and been warned on stuff that were kinda like WTF. I even tweeted Richard about it once. There is a little to much censorship on things like negative opinions on things not even game related (lets say I dislike a review of the game or its reviewer or another game itself). The forums can feel like a politically correct zone at times where negativity or constructive negative criticism cant be said (which is a problem in our society too). Oddly enough, they are good about this when it comes to the actual game itself. Let people argue it out, no one should have to get involved until someone starts getting personal. I've seen posts deleted for just having a good negative argument.

15. moko

moko Avatar

Surely not an easy job but there should probably (is?) be someone who's job it is to sift through all the threads and filter for constructive criticism. No way every dev should do it though (I doubt this is the case, they are busy developing ;) )

Leelu and Tahru like this.
  16. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

But he is one man against a mountain of complaining/whining/overall poor behavior on the forums. Trying to find and select the threads that add value to the game is a titanic task.

I agree 100% with Duke Avery's PR team recommendation and have often wondered why Port didn't have this vital function.
    I think they would rely on them to be more of a filter than a replacement for interaction. One thing is for sure though, the PR team had better dang well be playing the game so they know what we're talking about!

Leelu, Duke Avery and Tahru like this.
  17. lollie

lollie Avatar

Because soon as they bring in PR people we can expect to have little to no effect on the game with our feedback. Most of the seasoned gamers around here know exactly what a PR person is for, and it's not to enhance the game experience, it's to lie to the players - and often to hide bad decisions behind obfusticating, flowery words.

Port has always said they would listen to us - a PR person would be a strong indication they are no longer doing this.

Leelu, FrostII, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  18. agra

agra Avatar

I wouldn't use it for any of those things. I would use Ideascale, and permit players to contribute, and refine and respond to ideas as appropriate. If it wasn't on Ideascale, I wouldn't implement it. Once it was implemented, I would use the refining process to defend it and any further adjustments & balance.
    Most players just want their voice heard. Ideascale means it's all signal and no noise. The forums are almost pure noise. And this has been true of any/all/most MMO's, for 20 years now.

There are enough good ideas on these forums to build 5 MMO's, all with completely different, unique, innovative, fun and challenging feature sets, regardless of lore, setting, context or theme.

Leelu, FrostII, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

If you brought in the wrong PR person, I would agree with your assessment. However, what if the PR person/team played the game so they would know what they were talking about and could be a reliable barometer for both the community and the devs? I know, it's a wildly optimistic vision, but one can dream...

Leelu, Duke Avery and Tahru like this.
  20. lollie

lollie Avatar

PR people NEVER play the game. They're there to manipulate the crowd and for no other reason.

Leelu and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.