Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I'm crying about the town crier

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Banker in each town? I think that's great.

But I see the point on foot traffic. Perhaps mail quests could be set up to deliver something from one town (bank) to another, replacing the impetus for foot traffic to certain corners.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Am I missing something here?

If you must have a bank in each town, put a bank building in each town. It's that simple really. It takes up a spot no matter what the PoT owner wants.

You can't have a guy standing at the front with pockets of holding, it looks bad and doesn't get people to come into the town.

Just put a building in, like the bank of New Britania that is unique looking and recognizable. It will add a little more character to the towns....

3. Albus

Albus Avatar

That makes sense, although Lum pointed out that the banker has to be in the game all the time (so wierd town owners cannot just pick up the banker and thereby stop people from getting their stuff). But maybe if for the banker, town owners *could* select a new location for the banker (so it's not always in the same place in all towns or such), but the banker would not actually be "picked up" - instead he would always exist, but would "teleport" to the new spot a town owner selects.

Not sure if this is worthy of the coding or such, but if it worked:
    1) every town has a free banker who is not the town crier
    2) every town (owner) can have the free banker where they like it to be
    3) banker is always in town, owner cannot "pick up and hold" the banker, banker just teleports to location chosen rather than being gone/picked up for any time; a cooldown could be added to this 'feature' although such might make placement tricky -(oops put my banker down in a ditch or whatever, have to wait to move him until cooldown is up)
    4) large towns wanting more than one banker could still add a 2nd banker, not subject to special rules (it can be picked up/etc).
    5) town owner placement could be problematic, if they accidentally (or on purpose?) port the banker to some unuseable/unreachable spot on the map, not sure if this would be an issue or not

Miracle Dragon and Abydos like this.
  4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

@Lum just put a free perma bank\crier into each POT and remove bank from the npc building list.

Miracle Dragon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The really large templates like Metropolis could actually need more than one bank, so no need to remove it from the list.

Miracle Dragon, Abydos and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

My point was remove the town crier as the banker and give every town a bank. No player choice in this.

Miracle Dragon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Problem is that if so that bank has to be in a static position with no dynamic space around it.

Otherwise the scenario they want to avoid would still be possible.

Beside that I fully agree with you. It would be much better if all towns, NPC, PRT & POT would get a limited functionality "extract only" bank put in there which is not the town crier.
    This because giving the crier a dual function limits the feature set of the crier itself.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

My point is that the banker tends to be the focal point of player existence in MMOs.. The other focal point would be auctioneers. If the town criers are all bankers, then all players who don't live in a town will always use the town crier that stands near the entrance to a town. So I feel strongly that a town should be able to keep their banker and auctioneer in the town center. This would ensure that people actually enter and experience what the town wants players to experience who are there to do any business. If the town crier can carry out any business needed, and is automatically placed at the town entrance, then many towns will never be properly explored by visitors.. and that is a HUGE problem.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.