Imbued gem of Theurgy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jun 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Why no shield though? Just because air shield is super powerful, there's still immolation, death, crystal and such.
    Also, have you watched Coswold?

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, for one, we already know light armor works well when supplemented with magical shields.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

So here is one of them! Decided to upload this one faster because @Sannio If you watch this video, the Dragon still goes through the walls :mad:

@Cora Cuz'avich The other ones are on their way! Gotta find a Unicorn and upload the other ones!

Elgarion, Anpu and Barugon like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Probably don't need the others, that was sufficient. Except maybe the Panopticon or another place where you're getting swarmed with a lot of high level mobs- I'd like to see how you'd handle lots of spammy damage from multiple sources as opposed to big hits from a single source. Being an archer, I often find it a bit easier to deal with really tough boss mobs than multiple less powerful mobs. Even with my current build, I can do the clockwork dragon, but the Rise lich room or archer hallway stomps me. (Actually, the Rise lich room would be a good test for your build... ;) )

But I definitely see some things I need to change. The biggest probably being health, fully buffed I'm only at 1100. Which is fine with Shield of Air, but likely why I struggle if I try to go without. Partly that's a gear issue; I really need a new set with better enchants. I've been hesitant to make a new set with all the changes going on and coming soon. Current gear is mainly Dex with a good amount of Str and some Int. I'll probably go with a bit more Str. I was also thinking of switching air spec for earth, and tactics for light armor. Ranged spec still doesn't seem quite as beneficial. Ideally, I'd be ranged/light armor, though.

Regardless, thanks for the video. I especially like that you didn't use a dynamic deck, I was worried you'd come up with some ridiculous stacking craziness I'd be unable to replicate.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Barugon likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Also, I would presume Parry only works against melee attacks?

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

So, I'll be uploading the Obsidian Panopticon next then. The Rise's Lich room is a no go for me solo, I struggled with it when Atonal Aria didn't care about cover, so I will for sure struggle with it now, that is 100% a group location, not a solo spot (some might be able to, but I don't see the point!).

And yes. When I got my light armor crafted, I asked for Enchants to be Major Strength and Strength at the minimum, anything more was okay, but I need the Strength.

Light armor spec is very fun with these dynamic spam decks, which is where ranged spec might become a bit more viable (lower focus cost on some skills, higher damage on others, debuffs as well). One thing is certain, big swarms will generally require either A. a Pet to hold some Agro or B. a Shield. I was doing the Rises Mage and Archer room relatively well without both, but in a scene like the Obsidian Panopticon, where the mobs are T12, I needed the shield. You could always take a pet without Taming spec. They lose a lot of their effectiveness, but if they are mostly there to play the meat shield, a bear or a boar can be a nice addition for you.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I couldnt say for sure, but I remember when Elgarion used to Stream that everyone told him to use it against the Clockwork dragon for it's lightning attack, so that's why I almost always have it now. Haven't been paying attention if it works against arrows as well, but never hurts to have it!

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Parry doesn't work against arrows and it probably doesn't work against any kind of magic either. I know that blocking works against arrows, damage avoidance is very effective against arrows, and dodge works against both arrows and targeted magic.

Cora Cuz'avich and Violet Ronso like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Fair enough. I've never been able to do it either, pre- or post-nerfs. I don't really see a specific need to do it solo, other than as an accomplishment in and of itself.
    I'll keep that in mind. I might hop on QA tonight and craft a set of trial gear. What's your thoughts on wicked king vs bandit gems? One of the reasons I got away from a spam deck was blowing through focus, which would be even more of a problem with a bunch of wicked kind gems. But if I were to keep rapid fire and aimed shot out of the spam slots, it might work. Alternatively, I could just go with imbued earth gems. Mainly because I think I only have 2 or 3 bandit chests available to try and get gems off of.
    Yeah. I will certainly be using a shield. Plus, being ranged, I wouldn't be getting nearly as much melee damage coming in, so that'll help. My challenge was mainly to assess whether or not light armor is really viable on its own, or only works when it is backed up with one or more other means of damage mitigation.
    I'll have to give it a try, then. I never really used it, because if you're playing an archer and getting lots of melee hits, I kinda feel you're doing it wrong. Though, there are tighter spaces where you don't have as much of an option to kite.

Barugon and Violet Ronso like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ever since I started using Spellbinders stance instead of Berserker's stance for my melee combat, I fell in love with the casting and draw speed modifiers, so if you ask me, I'd go for Wicked Caster Gems all the time. Imbued Gaiaism gem with the Strength of Earth enchant is a good alternative, and for blades, Rending is a good option. Focus can become an issue, but with 800 focus that's manageable with focus and restoration pots in my case, especially since I don't use Shield of Air.

I meant an actual shield, not a magical shield :p Can't do that ranged :p But running away, using Psalm of Stagnation and then Multishot could be a decent alternative.

Barugon likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah. But yeah, I imagine not having to stand face to face with melees will probably be effectively the same as blocking their damage with a (physical) shield. Well, maybe a bit less effective, since the shield would protect against ranged attacks too.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Physical shields work great against arrows.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did you get this one yet? If not, I have one that I can send to you.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not yet. But I broke down and bought most of the gem/jewel recipes, so I actually want to come by the socket recipes the hard way.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bought a chest socket recipe off a vendor for an extortive amount. Then I went to the Panopticon and immediately got another.

Anpu and Cora Cuz'avich like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Heh Had the same thing happen with two of the imbued gem recipes. And remember how friggin' long it took to get the Theurgy Shrine recipe? Before giving up on the gems, I spent a day trying to get the Theurgy gem recipe, and got six of the stupid shrine recipes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.