Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Immediate impressions of R49 after 30 minutes

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I haven't been actively adventuring lately, but took a quick look at 2 low level random encounters and one 3-skull zone (South Boundless Forest) to experience recent changes.

I didn't enjoy my outing much for the following reasons:

• The visual effects of buffs were overdone and blinding, especially at night, when I couldn't see the mobs.
    • I struggled to stack glyphs with the mouse. Often they just wouldn't move. I never mastered the knack of quickly stacking with the keyboard, so this is a major setback for me
    • My fizzle rate has become unbearable. My character is a full mage but I switched to wearing leather almost a year ago because I was taking too much damage even with buffs and because I hated the clunky look of the cloth outfits. I was fine with the fizzle rate at the time, but now I will have to revert to the ugly cloth to see what difference that makes.

Because of the above impediments, my level 74 character was taking too much damage even in the 2-skull forest road random encounter. I was planning on a long playing session yesterday, but shut SotA off again because it just wasn't any fun.

On the positive side, I got a teleport scroll as loot from one of the skeletons, 18 silver from the Forest Road encounter and one of the mandrake roots that I harvested gave me 21 mandrake at once! So the looting and harvesting system can be more rewarding than it used to be if you are lucky.

2. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Visual effects overdone, yep I agree, but I think they have already started to tone a couple of them down. The stacking with mouse is a bug, I went to report it but saw a bug report already there. Once you have 2 glyphs stacked it won;t budge with the mouse, but you can still stack it onto another glyph with the keyboard.

21 mandrake from a harvest?! I'll have to hunt some down!

Rinaldi, Leelu and Rentier like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I never really liked the buff effects. It's primarily the reason that I don't use the Shroud of the Avatar, the Heart of Sorrows and the Bonesteel Crown.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yep, was in a Outskirt yesterday and unbuffed they did more damage to me while in a full set of cloth.
    But i like it to be not able to be mindless afk even in a T1 zone.
    I sure can onehit them all, ok some need 2 Ice arrow or 2 Hits with a sword.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Rentier likes this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you CAN do it with a mouse, you just have to move the singleton onto the existing stack and not the other way around.

Rinaldi and Leelu like this.
  6. Zeddicus Zorander

Zeddicus Zorander Avatar

I like the spell effects don't remove them! People just like to complain far far too much... They play in first person and can't see anything that's the pits of playing first person until a dedicated first person view is implemented. The people who complain about the spells and play in first person are very vocal minority, the majority play 3rd person view.

However to play devils advocate and argue against myself, I do believe first person needs fixing so we can actually play in that view for those who like immersion like that... it also helps with roleplaying.

Thx,
    Z

Rada Torment likes this.
  7. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

They can seriously dial back on Elysian Illumination, it is impossible to see anything in an indoor or low light scene when that is active.

The same can be said of Immolation.

8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Sorry to hear that.

I'm leather user and I use magic without issues (Air and Fire included). I d0n't see any problem with fizzle (Follow Through at 90).

At lvl 70-80 my guild mate are soloing scenes like Deed Ravenswood, a lvl 5 map. Not sure what you doing wrong but I guess you need train some defensive skills (dodge and fortify defenses would help you a lot).

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I am one of those people who "complain far far too much...", and I don't like having my eyes bugging out and burning from too many bright effects bombarding my eyes when I'm trying to focus on the game play. I don't play in first-person, but I do like to play zoomed in really close. If you play zoomed all the way out then it probably isn't an issue for you, but you can't really say that the people who play in first-person or zoomed in close are a vocal minority without some stats to back it up, and even if they are a minority, it doesn't invalidate their complaints. If there was a slider-bar to adjust the intensity of the effects, like the one for the reticle, then players could tailor the effect to their liking.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'm curious tho... so sun magic dosen't summon real light ? and fire magic real fire ?

It can be toned down and made "less real" ? :/

Sounds like you want to join the dark side, lol :D

11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Yes, but the effects of the spell should blind my opponents, not me. lol

Elwyn likes this.
  12. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

How are you having problems casting spells when i am wearing plate and chain and can cast spells ? I am at 2 % fizzle with Corpse Explosion. Leather has such a small footprint in regards to the fizzle rate. This is easily compensated with Wands. Are you a mage not using wands or staves ? Are you using default wand / staves that do not have -%fizzle ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.