Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I have been out of the Forums for a long time, I did not agree with some of their earlier bad decisions, After coming back to check on it, I now have no idea what this game is supposed to be.

It looks like as long as the funding can be fleshed out with shop items, it will only had more to delaying release.
    Star Citizen is the same while they can drag in the cash for knocking out another craft or skin they will not release the game.

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

And our feedback, like this thread helps Portalarium define the limits.
    Many even paid to be able to participade on the development with there feedback.
    We adapt with feedback.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

It's Halloween. Season related sells are pretty normal in an MMO.
    Really, it's not like we would have different, more important problems.
    Performance of the engine e.g.
    But THAT kind of posts never get 14 pages.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Waiting for the relevance. Halloween should not even exist in New Britannia. Even so.. there are more creative ways to go about holiday items than simply regurgitating things others have done.

This isn't an argument. It's blowing off other people's opinions.

Engine performance isn't exactly something a lot of people know about and the Devs remind us regularly they're still working on it.

None of which answers why a post is absurd. Surely the community is capable of expressing opinions on more than one topic at a time.

5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The Free Dictionary:
    the straw that broke the camel's back
    The final limit of capacity, including patience. An Arabian anecdote told of a camel whose owner loaded the beast of burden with as much straw as possible. Not satisfied with the staggering load he had put on the camel, the owner added just one last piece of straw. Even that one wisp was too much, and the animal collapsed with a broken back, leaving the owner with no way to take his goods to the market. The story is a parable for all the times you've been repeatedly irked until you can't take it anymore and you explode.
    last straw
    n.
    The last of a series of annoyances or disappointments that leads one to a final loss of patience, temper, trust, or hope

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Personally fail to see how seeing towns on the map immersion breaking when it's perfectly natural for them to be there but whatever. You can always choose not to enter a town.. it would be different if the towns came to you and attended all the events.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Do you have a list of things that should and should not exist in New Britannia?

Halloween should not exist in New Britannia. That's an interesting perspective.

Atogrim likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

One should think.
    And my opinion is that this whole post is pointless.
    But let's continue, i have nothing better to do for the next few minutes anyway.

So, you don't like season items.
    I like them.

Now let's see if you can give me a good solution for this.

Eriador and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Is your stance that somehow New Britannians have adopted the holidays of Outlanders whom they don't trust? Over a period of a few short years because what? They never had any culture of their own?

If I said an aircraft carrier doesn't belong in New Britannia would you have issue with that as well?

wagram and High Baron O`Sullivan like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would at least try to come up with some New Britannia holidays promote those. It's fine if they follow a similar theme but at least then the items would make sense.

Yeah the whole thread is more or less pointless except to provide feedback. Arguing about it back and forth doesn't change anything but what I find odd is why people who otherwise don't care make a big deal out of someone posting they do. Someone implied earlier if there wasn't a price tag no one would complain.. I submit that if they didn't add this stuff to the store in the first place no one would complain. None of this stuff would be missed..

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Did no such thing.

12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

kickstarter Backers were not informed they were funding just another typical MMO with a shop.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Unfortunately, we were never promised we wouldn't have any of this stuff during the kickstarter. I had hoped but I never held my breath.

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love this conversation because there's absolutely zero gray area. I'm right and you're wrong. I'm not opposed to being wrong and certainly sometimes I am, but this is not one of those times.

The lore is very specific, as the developers and Richard have describe it to us. Avatars from Earth have visited New Britannia for centuries. Because they do not forget who or where they came from, they have brought with them the knowledge, traditions, and culture of Earth throughout the history of New Britannia.

Just as Ardoris has the influence of Feudal Japan and Vience, neither of which have ANYTHING to do with the "locals" being local, so too do Avatars bring with them things like masks that look like Pumpkins because of Halloween.

I would. I don't particularly want an aircraft carrier to be in New Britannia. I don't even like the Steam Punk stuff that's there already. But that's a matter of taste. And you (and others) are certainly entitled to your own tastes. I don't have a problem with anyone disliking the pumpkin masks do to their own tastes - to each their own. I think you guys should express your dislike for the masks, that's fine.

What I think (read: know) you're doing however is confusing your tastes with the lore. The lore is VERY specific here. Anything coming from earth is really fair game in New Britannia. Anything. Where there's a bit of a buffer zone is that whatever is brought over from Earth, it can't just travel here. People can't bring their iPhones here, people can't bring the clothes they're wearing as they cross through the rift, people can't sail an air craft carrier here. That's the distinction.

Now what they could do is BUILD an aircraft carrier here, assuming they can find the parts and resources needed to do that. HOWEVER, just because 20,000 tons of steel, 59.4 pounds of duct tape, and 3 jars of super glue might be the necessary components to build an aircraft carrier on Earth, that does not mean that's the same thing required to build it here in New Britannia, and that's the out the developers have to use at their disposal. The developers can limit what is created for the sake of our sanity, by saying "you don't know the New Britannian recipe to build an aircraft carrier, so sorry you can't build that here". ;)

So if your stance is, you think the devs should say "no pumpkin masks in New Britannia because it's not in the lore" you're completely wrong. If your stance is, you think the devs should say "no pumpkin maks in New Britannia because it hurts our roleplaying sensibilities" well it's hard to argue against that - we'll take your word for it. It's good you expressed yourself, but it's not cool to pervert the lore for your own sensibilities.

Alley Oop and galdrmadhr like this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No it's not. All it's saying is I don't understand that point of view. It's not a judgement on the other person it's a comment regarding one's self. Nothing more.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You're stretching. If you take Ultima lore into account.. those Avatar's who've been around for centuries number less than 20. From SotA lore Avatar's didn't start arriving in mass until around 400 P.C... and you're ignoring the whole natives population not trusting Outsiders. If you're going to talk specifics.. don't ignore specifics. Also, the devs using inspiration to design a town is not equal to lore saying there's a direct influence from Earth.

Well that's the trick isn't it. It's so unfeasible that if it actually happened it would seem strange wouldn't it? Incidentally, I once suggested Earth know-how with NB resources once upon a day.. My issue with lore is.. does it actually support this? If someone says "it's Halloween".. an Earth holiday.. there's nothing that says it's feasible that NB should have such a holiday. Yes you can argue Outlanders made these things for Outlanders.. that I have no issue with. Especially in Outlander communities.. What is unreasonable is to expect a few thousand Outlanders to flaunt it to the world with no reaction. But that can't be helped.

The bigger issue (for me) isn't just the pumpkin heads.. it's that they're unfeasibly huge. There's a reason real people from Earth don't wear stuff like that.. so why would it happen elsewhere if it doesn't even happen here? They're just that impractical. But.. in the realm of impossible is the headless masks.. how do you explain THAT in lore or otherwise?

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Personally, I would have stuck with items that fit the theme of the holiday but could be used for role-playing all year round without anyone blinking. The ornate skull candle is a good example, and is something I like in the add-on store. Spiderwebs I also like. And the witch hat. Its also why I suggested animal skull masks, because I could imagine people role-playing with them year round. I'm looking forward to seeing pumpkin patches and making cooking recipes with pumpkin.

A bunch of the other stuff I don't like. Not just the pumpkin head mask but the masks that look like decapitated heads generally. I would rather have masks that look like they're masks. The spider decorations that look exactly like real spiders but are immobile, and I'm sure we're going to see year round, and not just on Halloween.

This is just all my opinion. I'm sure the devs welcome our opinions.

Note that I didn't start this thread, even though I've defended the OP. I've accepted the devs are putting this stuff in the game; I just hope we have a mature community and players will use them wisely.

Smitty, Myrcello and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It means the same thing with no other implications.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Btw if the items bother anyone the good thing about them is that they're limited time items and of limited availability since people have to pay to get them ;)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Really? I find your reply to me lecturing and condescending.

Its perfectly fine if I have a definition of "wisely" and refer to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.