Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

I think that the Day of the Dead masks turned out really nifty. The headless "mask" is pretty hilarious and I can see how both would come in handy for certain RP situations in the future. Sure, the Jack-O-Lantern hat is way overdone in MMOs, but in a few weeks you won't see many people running around with those because they aren't as original. And while I am a proponent of immersion...I am also a proponent of having a sense of humor and some holiday spirit. If this game was so utterly serious all the time it would not be interesting.

I've just had to accept the fact I won't be able to control certain elements, such as hearing Stairway to Heaven or Metallica being played on the lute. My OOC side just has to find the humor in it and embrace it as a fun little quirk. But really, I think describing it as immersion breaking is a bit much. Because the reality is that the majority of Avatars are from Earth, therefor what, other than integrity would keep them from bringing a little of their home realm's culture into New Britannia? What would be stopping them from getting home-sick and deciding to crank out a little Mozart or Bach on the piano? Or carve out pumpkins and stick them on their heads?

I agree with some of the OP's sentiments (and usually do as a fellow RPer) but this time I have to say...I think it's going to end up being one of those things that isn't a big deal. There will be so many other hats and masks before release--such a variety of killer things to choose from--the offending masks will be lost in the shuffle and only appear every now and then.

Alley Oop and Edward Newgate like this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I am waiting patiently for a Festivus add on store item. Remember Festivus is the holiday for the rest of us. Feats of strength around the Festivus Pole.

The only way to really protect your view of immersion is to play by yourself, otherwise adapt and overcome. Ever hear the saying mountain out of a mole hill? How do you explain the telegraph in game next release?

From a scientific view many holidays, religous, and cultural beliefs are very similar across unrelated cultures. Examples of a great flood, virgin birth, reincarnation, countless others.

More immersion breaking in my mind is how someone even in full magical armor can take more than a single blow from a polearm or large sword and still be standing. Get caught on fire and brush it off. Swim in full armor. Murder countless across the lands with little reprecussion.

Hidden agenda, why pick and choose? Either eliminate anything anyone deems immersion breaking or accept all the developers decide to release. This conversation is becoming pointless, perhaps time to move on?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Sean Silverfoot and galdrmadhr like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The time for that was when people starting going off half cocked because someone expressed an opinion they didn't like.

Edit: Not meaning any one in particular. Pretty sure some of that started before I said anything.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  4. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

@Razimus
    @Ravicus Domdred

Does this please thine eye sockets? Really like the look of this one. Excellent job on the textures and the detail of the skull.

[​IMG]

Ravicus Domdred and Razimus like this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Very Much So! I absolutely Love it! I would love it if they put a virtue hit on wearing it so the do gooders do not try to be false evil muhahahaha!

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I fear that may be wishful thinking. It would deny the use of it as legitimate costume. Besides.. there just aren't that many 'goodie goodie' types out there who'd actually want to wear it. :)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    ya I said it in Jest :p . But It would be awesome to have a curse or something tied to particular items. Ya, we have been over this before, but its awesome! :D

Soulicide likes this.
  8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think on Halloween, all the ghosts and liches should come up from their rest underground, and wander the overworld, attacking anyone they see. Only wearing a pumpkin on your head (or undead mask) should prevent them from attacking you!!

I believe pumpkins originated in Mexico, and ancient celts didn't have them, so they made lanterns out of turnips instead. Only in America did they/we start using pumpkins for Halloween lanterns! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.