Impact of Processor cores and 4k screens

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Tardis, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tardis

Tardis Avatar

I am looking at a new laptop to be able to play SOTA while traveling. How much value will a 6 core processor bring versus quad core? If I get the 4k screen am I going to have performance problems versus the True HD (1080) screen. Video card is a GTX 1050ti in both cases. Thanks for the input!

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I have a GTX 1070ti, and just got a 4K screen. I've noticed no difference in performance at all.

Quad vs. 6-core is hard to tell. More cores are generally better, and this game is somewhat CPU bound, so if the speed is the same between them I'd get one with 6. It really depends on how much cost difference there is.

3. Floors

Floors Avatar

CPU cores are unlikely to make a large difference, I doubt SotA is efficient enough for it to really make that much difference, and the vast majority of games are GPU bound and rely heavily on single threaded performance.
    Also, SoTA is pretty damn slow for how it looks. Those are just the facts.

Woodchuck likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The CPU is not used for outputting the actual graphics. The resolution of your display will have pretty much no effect on your CPU load. Your GPU, on the other hand, is what will be impacted and the 1050i may not be up to the challenge.

5. Elay

Elay Avatar

i'm running an Nvidia 1080 in 4k and using an app I can see that with all the settings on max the GPU is at 99% pretty much constantly. - if I reduce that to 1080 resolution the GPU utilisation drops to about 35% with peaks at 50%.

6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

DOn't think the 1050 will have much of a problem on a 1080/HD screen... I'm running SotA on a Dell Precision laptop with both an onboard Intel HD graphics 530 and a Nvidia Quadro M2000M, either of which are roughly equivalent to a GeForce 920-950, and the only problem I ran into was in the Lost Vale with a party taking on the Cabalists, when my computer lagged because of all the effects from spells and such.

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If you're getting a new laptop for gaming, I would recommend to get something that at least has GTX 1060 6GB (not the 4GB) as the minimum for long term usage.
    Note that the price for the one with 1070 might not be too much of the different either (maybe $100-$200 in some model).

If they have a thunderbolt port, that could be a good selling point for long term investment as well.

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I would go for the fullhd resolution instead as the 4k. Give your gpu card some more room to do the actual rendering. higher (4k) reso will take some power from the card. And either way a 15/17 inch laptop screen with 4k is just utterly useless anyhow.

Simon LeBon likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The OP is talking about running 4k.

10. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

I don't think the 10's are really 4k ready as advertised. I struggle to get above 35-40fps in 3d games with my 1070 non-mobile. 2D games are fine. Looking forward to next-gen which they just delayed, yay.

11. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

This is what I have on my laptop, and I have experienced no problems in the past 2 years with graphics. (Other than SOTA server origin)
    Multi core question? My desktop is 6 core and I see no difference in CPU usage.
    RAM - That is where is see the largest usage and difference.

i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz -- 4 (2 logical cores per physical)
    GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
    32GB RAM DDR4
    1TB HDD; 256GB SSD M.2 (boot)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I concur. Most games are effectively single threaded and the # of cores won’t improve performance as much as getting a faster cpu.

Arcanoxer likes this.
  13. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

In SotA? Nothging.
    With a higher baseclock the Quadcore is possible faster.
    Your GTX1050ti is the bottleneck in your System, especially in 4k resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.