Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Improvement to Reactive Skills

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Wodin Folkvardr, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

So I was thinking about how the addition to reactive skills has impacted the game and what would make them feel more natural and meaningful to the game. What I came to realize is that while it adds another dimension to combat, the UI doesn't really do it justice. In order for you to know if you successfully landed the skill and satisfied the "after x event" you would need to highlight your buffs and see if you got the bonus effects.

My thought on how to improve this would be to give the skill icon on the skill bar glow while when the reaction condition exists (immediately after a crit the skill will glow/shine until the time limit expires). This would give the user not only a better idea of when and if they will get the bonus but also make it feel more important to use the skill.

What do you guys think?

~Woden

2. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I like the addition, but it certainly needs some sort of visual cue.

Pop up text, different coloured/glowing icon, sound, something!

Theonetheonly likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

please no more glowing, flashing blinking . . . . crap we have enough junk hopping / popping / skipping / highlighting all over the screen , I have shut off everyone of the identifiers I can and more is just more coding we don not need.

As long as it can be shut of and is not a waste of coding time sure, but even 10 seconds spent not fixing broken / weak stuff needs to just wait.

4. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

I guess my thought is why do we have visual markers for stacking spells and combining spells yet not this? They both play the same role in giving the user feedback that additional actions are possible with the skill, or you can cast as is. Fixing things are important, so is polishing fundamental building blocks that the game is going to use moving forward. Judging by the trend it seems like we will be seeing more than just these three* reactive skills; polish off the idea instead of leaving yet another half completed implementation.

That being said I do agree that they should put focus on fixing current problems; but I don't believe that we should stifle idea's just because there are other bugs in the game. Every game has bugs, that'll never end. I have faith in @Chris and the rest of the port team to not only fix the bugs but also apply polish to fundamental parts of the game (I.E. Combat) which requires feedback from the players to fuel their creative fires.

~Woden

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It is a very interesting discussion. I know atm Sota is missing a lot of what would give us the players a more satisfying combat experience. This video is great at explaining different types of combat systems and the good and bad and what is appropriate for certain types of games to have it be immersive. ;)

6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I have thought stuff like this mandatory for some time now, however I have a similar idea I can see how others wouldn't see it as such. Really it's features that ought to be designed into the interface with greater integration for abilities which are;
    affect other players friendly
    affect other players in combat (enemies)
    affect your self's own abilities (combos, extras)

For me I envision some of combat here taking some elements from (pardon name drop, Assasin Creed) which gives 'modes' to abilities while still allowing for combos within each mode (button combinations).
    And I also could see something like combat points where certain conditions such as successful stacking or discarding would lead to another layer of as well, since the stacking + discarding is already inherent.

I see some logic in some abilites being 'blacked out' when you have, for example, another more pressing ability in some state of partial completion.

Say, if a enemy has you 'locked' in a grasp. You wouldn't be able to use regular attacks only 'breaking' type counter attacks.

best

7. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

+1 to OP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.