1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Improvements to Vertas

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

Hey guys! SorcerousSteve here to give you a look at another town on the Path of Truth that we took a visual polish pass this R44!

In order to emphasize that Vertas is on the Truth Path the color blue was used throughout the town alongside the green that represents the elves.
    [​IMG]

A new elven structure now lies in the town center and houses a library.
    [​IMG]

Pennants, banners, and awnings now cover the town streets alongside manicured walkways and potted plants.
    [​IMG]

Library inside the central building in Vertas with the Truth Symbol carved into the door.
    [​IMG]

The Elven Symbol can be seen on a banner just south of an elven glass home.
    [​IMG]
    See you next time!

Esteben Zaldivar
    Level Designer

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Looks really nice.

Acred and FrostII like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This looks odd with the pictures crammed behind the bookcases.

Acred likes this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Some displayed weapons would look great.

Barugon likes this.
  5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The additions look great. Vertas already was a well-designed town with a unique feel. This makes it even more so.

Yet!

Libraries everywhere and nothing but a small selection of random unconnected books constantly repeated. Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of libraries and it makes sense in Vertas. But there's no reason to visit.

Libraries hint at a purpose that isn't going to be realized in Ep.1. It would be much better to have something visually appealing that doesn't imply a purpose beyond simply looking good!

Womby likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree with there being a difference in creating something that looks good but has no meaning beyond it being a reference in a story for example. Then the beautiful building gives no reason to visit it under normal circumstances. For example in some games you may visit a library to gain knowledge by clicking on a book and reading it you gain knowledge. We have no such thing in this game. Gaining knowledge does not exist, just like so many other daily things we do has it has no meaning other than what we can role-play or pretend.

7. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

The library is beautiful, and I love those bookcases! If only we crafting-centric players could build detailed and intricately-designed bookcases like these, rather than just that cheapo "book shelf" that's available for crafting right now.........

8. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

The elves are basically peaceful so I would not think they would have weapons displayed in their library. Personally, I see no problems with the artwork, but that speaks to just my personal taste.

I'm very glad to see that the forested, winter theme has been kept!

Saosis likes this.
  9. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I am not sure if the situation will persist but currently there is a guarded & closed gate basically next to an "open" gateway. After Blood River there shouldn't be any open entries into the town center. Or at least none without barricades and multiple guards.

Loc: (-5.8, 30.0, -73.0)

Doesn't look too logical to me :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Hornpipe likes this.
  10. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Also, apologies for being critical, the library combines refined furniture (inlays!, carvings!) with tree-trunk handrails on the staircase. There's probably assets missing but a more uniform style (either "natural" or "refined") would be nice. A similar mix can be seen with other homes but the library is a prominent example.

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Looks cozy!

12. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@SorcerousSteve
    thx for a well done job, it feels more engaging than before

13. Cage Storm

Cage Storm Avatar

Been to the "old" Vertas many many times, visited the "new" Vertas last night and I have to say congratulations on a job well done, looks even better now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.