Incoming COTO Devaluation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Floors, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lained

Lained Avatar

Only marginally as the increase is to POT level it's performance improvements that allow the increase.

dcyumyum likes this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Some of this was kind of explained. Having a visible storefront, and having it in-your-face can be a turnoff for a lot of prospective players. So they're burying it, to help with retention rates. The decoration-reasoning for ditching color cotos, I suspect, was a prelude to making this change, and less to do with them being decorations (while adding more decorations monthly).

In many ways, I wish they *would* mirror other MMOs more. It's not about being the same, it's about learning about when things are done well/correctly. We should be different where it makes sense to do so.

But removing the $5 option? Really? I guess my purchases have come to an end.

3. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

I wonder if removing this has to do with trying to get people to purchase more. I thought that at the minimum you had to buy was $5 to get all the acquired stretch goals for that month so with removing the $5 items now you have to buy the next highest item to get that same stretch goal items?

Arya Stoneheart likes this.
  4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Currently it is 7000 Gold - the lowest price you can find [well, to be honest it is: 6999 ;)]

In my point of view the change could balance the amount between Cotos and Gold in a better way.
    After Cotos came in, they raised from about 3.000 to now >7.000!

Ingame Gold from alot of players burned in a few days to half ...

Now, that they gave us the information, 1$ is 100 Cotos,

Currently this is what you pay on player market place:
    100K Gold is sold at $7.
    1 COTO is sold at about $0.50(€.45)

$1 (€0,89) = COTOs 2 = 14.300 Gold (From that, the Calculation ingame was about Coto 1 = Gold 7.000)

In future it will be:
    $1 (€0.89) = COTOs 100 = 14.300 Gold (Calculating 1 Coto is about 140 Gold)

I HOPE, 1 COTO in future will be sold at about Gold 100 to make it more easier to calculate and to keep the exchange rate stable :)

And for information, here the summary of Chris' Coto-Change-Information:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Amen!

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Than buy 'em up Now.

Barugon and Elwyn like this.
  7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, @Chris also told, prices will go down, so it should be no difference ... hopefully :)

8. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I am not sure but i could imagine COTO's will be on sale during live streams. If nothing else than COTOs will be available in the add-on store they have to do it this way.

9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Rumour has it that the CotO will become the next currency of Venezuela :eek:

10. Addison

Addison Avatar

While I understand their need to do this, I must admit I am not overly enthused.

Was there any mention of increasing a player's current inventory of COTOs to match the inflationary pricing? Meaning, that if 1 COTO now equals 100 and I currently have 5, those 5 COTOS are almost worthless unless they increase them 100 times, i.e. 500.

They also need to remember to drop the weight of COTOs if we are going to need to carry around a couple hundred if not thousands of these damn things.

Chatele likes this.
  11. xadoor

xadoor Avatar

Imagine a world where the smallest bill is $1000. It makes it hard to conduct business as there are lots of things worth less than $1000 but how do you pay for them as nobody can make change for $1000 as its the lowest denomination. Having them broken up allows a much more flexible economy around cotos.

Also, lets say today you play enough that you'll find 1 coto a year on average. you could get lucky and find 3 or you could get unlucky and not find one for 3 years. With the new system you'll find 100 a year on avg and a bad year will be say 50+ and a good year will be 150+. All way more palatable.

this seems like a WIN-WIN to me. Nothing thats gonna "save the game" but certainly a QOL improvement for us and a much finer knob for Port to turn when tuning costs/drop rates. I really don't see much downside past "they could be fixing something else instead" but I just don't think this is something that they spent much time implementing anyway.

12. dcyumyum

dcyumyum Avatar

If the want to be in line with other MMOs Cotos shouldn’t have any weight.

Tabatha likes this.
  13. Lained

Lained Avatar

14. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Others have said it better, but it boils down to granularity. A party hat is 1 COTO and so is an Obsidian potion. They are totally not the same thing but cost the same because you can't have something worth less than 1 coto. This allows you to sell things for different rates. Think of when a stock splits. It's worth "less" but you have twice as many than before.

FrostII, Elwyn, Jaesun and 5 others like this.
  15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

My interpretation of the upcoming change and my thoughts:

- Current COTO's owned in game will be multiplied by 100. (So if you have 10 in your bank/chest/inventory, it will turn into 1000 COTO's.)
    - Prices of things we buy COTO's with will be adjusted to be close to what they are now, or cheaper. (So, if something currently costs 1 COTO, it may change to costing 75 or 90 COTO's on the merchant/interface in-game... yes, this is way more than it costs now, but the value of each COTO has changed to allow for this offset.)
    - The change allows them to alter costs to be more in-line with the items actual value compared to other (currently same priced) items. (@Parson Barr just posted a perfect example of this above me.)
    - Think of this change as taking a dollar to the bank and getting 100 pennies for it. It's worth the same in reality, but now you have it broken down into 100 units that can be used partially instead of spending the dollar and getting no change (which is pretty much what it's like right now.)
    - The key here is this allows them to have flexibility with prices on items in the store by allowing them the ability to break the dollar down into cents.

I think the change is a great idea overall... although initially there may be some issues because not everyone will understand what is going on and it will also take them some time and effort to adjust all the items prices fairly.

But, once they can balance out the prices to reflect a fair value price compared to every other item, people will buy more items because they might actually be worth 50 cents instead of a dollar or $3.50 instead of $7. Since the minimum no longer needs to be 1 COTO each (well, it will still be 1 each, but each will be worth 1/100th in cost) they can now have a wider range of prices that will fit more budgets.

16. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

You must mean to say "like some other MMO's"

Please remember Ultima Online. The gold was very heavy in that game and you had to go to the bank frequently to unload all that gold or you couldn't walk!
    Or, you could purchase or get on drop some translocation powder to teleport your gold right into your bank. But that powder was very expensive.

17. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Exactly! And the other advantage is it will eliminate the addon store (except for buying COTO's, service vouchers, POT upgrades and Episode 2 access). The addon store was/is giving bad press to the game, even though other MMO's have something similar, but it's hidden in the game. Now it will be the same with SOTA.

FrostII and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  18. Addison

Addison Avatar

This is a good analogy so long as it works as intended. Using your example, in theory, a split should result in an increase in the number of shareholders as more investors would buy at lower prices due to increased liquidity.

Once liquidity increases, more buyers and sellers trade in the stock, which, in turn, helps to discover its true value.

If this is the case and holds true here, then it would generally be a good thing in so much that it should, in theory, make COTOs more affordable due to Portalariums ability to appropriately price them within the overall economy.

dcyumyum likes this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Due to vendor stack limits the biggest stack you will be able to buy/sell from others will be the equivalent of today's 10 COTOs.

20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

So my question is how does the new COTO affect armor/weapon repair? Will we need 100 COTOs to do a major repair? R/Boris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.