Increase the Number Hair Styles and Hair Color

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nog, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nog

Nog Avatar

My recollection is there are about a dozen hair styles at character creation, which is much too basic for a modern day, immersive mmorpg to feel like it has a solid number of visual character customizations.

And the hair colors themselves are very limited with the basic groups but not a selection of in-betweens and gradients - for those who want to avoid all the characters looking like siblings.

Given that I have seen a couple of decent, non-available hairstyles on some NPC characters, it really is glaring how limited the basic hair customization is with respect to hairstyle and hair color. I'm not necessarily advocating for Port to put a full time person on hair to match TERA or Black Desert, but the current number of styles/colors is sparse enough I suspect it isn't drawing in many players that think customization is a big deal.

Feeyo, MFWalter, Lace and 8 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree we need more hairstyles and and more from our character customization. We have one character artist and this person does all creatures as well so it has always been a trade-off because we do need more creatures in the game too. We are missing so many just basics like, snakes, rats, etc, plus more bosses are always nice or even mini bosses. So hopefully we can get some character love too one day soon.

MFWalter, Lace, Witcheypoo and 2 others like this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

NPC don't have to worry about collisions with wearing head gear, but yeah more would be nice.

4. Nog

Nog Avatar

In recent years, with all of the superb character-body-face-hair customization that is out there in some amazing art-minded mmos, I said something like I'd never settle for middle-road character customization limitations. That said, SotA really does many wonderful things so I've had to revise that opinion (with fingers crossed this gets a big boost). But I know a sizeable portion of mmo gamers find it crucial to be able to match their imagination and face/look/style when choosing their game for the next few years.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Lace, Witcheypoo and Hector al'Hector like this.
  5. blacksheepboy

blacksheepboy Avatar

This is an excellent point. As many of the clothing customization options are only onboarded recently and aren't available to new characters until later in their play time (patterns and whatnot) I think having more choices for character creation would go a long way to making people feel their avatars are unique from the start.

6. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

7. Nog

Nog Avatar

I am aware that adding styles requires time to model. But isn't inserting shades/colors pretty simple as a feature? I know even some of the quasi-early PC games like Neverwinter Nights had a pretty large selection scale like bright red -- realistic red -- auburn -- slightly reddish brown -- dark-dark-brown -- dark brown -- medium brown -- light brown -- light light brown, etc.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Rowell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.