Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Black Screen nothing happens

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Kpopgurl, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

When playing on my laptop the client launches and only a black screen appears... Nothing happens.

Similar to a bug I saw here reported in R51 or so.

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Couldnt find a report from you before, can you add your machine specs, and in your shroud of the avatar folder (Im at work so i cant get you precise folder names) theres something like "shroud of the avatar data" in there should be an output_log.txt or something, are there any errors in there you can post?

Lexie likes this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am having the same problem, sometimes the starting music plays, but the game never loads. I've tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling both the stand alone and the steam version, running as administrator... still no traction.

Machine Specs:
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 3847
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/03/13 12:54:22 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8142MB RAM
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX970
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Initialize engine version: 5.6.4p3 (11e8f66cfca7)
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 9.0c [nvldumd.dll 23.21.13.9077]
    Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    VRAM: 3072 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps: Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0 ATOC=1 BC4=1 BC5=1
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Nat.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Nat.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.Dht.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.Dht.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Photon3Unity3D.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Photon3Unity3D.dll into Unity Child Domain
    - Completed reload, in 0.065 seconds
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Setting to default shader.
    <RI> Initializing input.
    <RI> Input initialized.
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    (Filename: Line: -1)
    desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
    <RI> Initialized touch support.
    UnloadTime: 1.098874 ms
    LanguageManager: Setting Language=English, Partner=None
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
    PatchClient Awake, version: 129 settingsfile: Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/patchsettings.txt gameVersionfile: C:/Program Files/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data/gameversion.txt
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)
    This is the patch client launched as: C:/Program Files/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe
    Starting patch client update...
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
    SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, graphicsMemorySize=3072, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=4, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, systemMemorySize=8142
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.32.129.Date.02.25.18, LocalTime=2/25/2018 4:44:57 PM, Patch=plumpkin-pick4
    SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, graphicsMemorySize=3072, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=4, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, systemMemorySize=8142
    Checking SotALauncher-PID file: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\SotALauncher.pid
    Checking SotALauncher-PID file contents: 10816
    Starting p2p engine...
    No existing dht nodes could be loaded
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/libc
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/.\libc
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/libc
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    NAT Device found, Type: Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice
    Create Port Mapping: public=55721, private=55721
    Specific Mapping: protocol=Udp, public=55721, private=55721
    GetLatestVersion=|129|129|https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/u...ndaloneWindowsPatcher&from=0&to=129sotaPatch|
    PatchClientNeedsToUpdate? thisVersion=129 onlineVersion=129
    GetLatestVersion=|735|-1||https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/update_service/patcher.php?patchUnavailableFor=735
    Start Got the settings and latest online version
    NeedsToUpdate? thisVersion=735 onlineVersion=735
    Torrent Loaded, infohash: 12-A9-A2-C6-6B-5D-39-04-7A-15-E7-D8-B0-DC-C0-4E-B1-64-7C-B5
    Starting torrent manager for StandaloneWindowsPatcher_0_129.zip
    OldState: Stopped NewState: Hashing
    Torrent Loaded, infohash: 57-0A-D2-68-BE-EA-D7-E8-10-D4-3A-33-3A-02-FE-CD-39-09-24-FF
    Starting torrent manager for StandaloneWindows_0_735.sotapatch
    OldState: Stopped NewState: Hashing
    OldState: Hashing NewState: Seeding
    OldState: Hashing NewState: Seeding

4. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Are you guys playing through steam or the sota client directly?
    Taggging you so you see Liz's reponse @Kpopgurl
    Are you still having issues? I could have sworn I saw some bug reports from you recently...
    Thank you
    @Kpopgurl

5. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I fixed the issue with running the client as admin from the steam folder. later releases fixed the problem.

6. Selene

Selene Avatar

Still not working for me on any attempts, not on the standalone or steam... admin from folder or direct.

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Selene did you look in the output log?

8. Selene

Selene Avatar

it's in the spoiler tag in my previous post

9. opTi

opTi Avatar

I can provoke this error when I start the game (Desktop Shortcut for Shroud of the Avatar Steam client) without being logged in to Steam.
    My security suite (Comodo) then runs the .exe in sandbox mode. I hear the music but see no screen.

plz try to stop the Sandbox Mode for several Minutes and start the Game one more Time directly from you Steam Games Library. Should work.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  10. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Selene thats the launcher log - not the game log.

11. Selene

Selene Avatar

There's no output log for the game. (because I did a fresh install, I guess.)

12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Selene if you start loading the game, it should make one (defaulty here C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Shroud of the Avatar_Data) called output_log.txt.

Unfortunately as a whole sota tends to append to the output_log.txt file

13. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am looking in the right place. There isn't one.

[​IMG]

and yet.. when run as admin, from the folder....

14. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

:( your video says unavailable to me :(

15. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hmmn.. works for me. :(

16. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Hmm does now for me too.. Must have been a youtube fart..

If you wait an excruciatingly long time (like 20+ minutes) does it ever leave the black screen? or just get to the point of wanting to punch the screen? Its odd it starts as administrator and not without,

Have you tried changing the Shroud of the Avatar.exe compatibility to windows 8? Apparently this helps some, makes worse things for others.. worth a try right?

When you did a clean install, did you delete all the old folders and registry settings - windows never does a great job at that..

17. Selene

Selene Avatar

Stays blank, even overnight. Windows 8 Compatibility did nothing. And, to the best of my knowledge, I deleted every scrap. Really frustrating! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the steam version four times today and still nothing. I've tried turning off all my firewalls and safety measures -- still nothing. Not sure what else to try short of resetting my whole PC (which I can't really do).

18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

you have my sympathies :(

Cant speak for steam, it put things in odd places.. but, remove the steam one.. then try

to irradicate all traces please look for
    C:\Program Files\Portalarium
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium
    C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Portalarium
    C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\LocalLow\Portalarium

then to top it off

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Portalarium

if you uninstall
    remove all of them.... long shot I know

19. Selene

Selene Avatar

I did all that. Still no joy. Thanks for all your help, Liz.

Reinstalling Windows10 (painful as it was) DID fix the problem-- For anyone googling this in the future.

jammaplaya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.