Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Can no longer log into SOTA

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Torulopsis, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torulopsis

Torulopsis Avatar

I run SOTA on an Alienware 15 and have played since 2013. Never had problems logging in until after R49. Now, when I open game in Steam, game will load to 99% and then freeze. I have to force-quit game, but then when I try to reopen in Steam, I get the following pop-up:

"Failed to initialize player

Details:
    Failed to initialize Direct3D.
    Make sure you have at least DirectX 9.0c installed, have drivers for your graphics card and have not disabled 3D acceleration in display settings.
    InitializeEngineGraphics failed."

My DirectX is updated to latest version. Closing steam does not fix issue, but restarting computer will eliminate this error message until I have to force-quit, and repeat the cycle.

Please help!

FrostII likes this.
  2. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

If you haven't, it might not hurt to validate the files. You may have a corrupt file.

Right-click on SOTA in your library, open properties, open the "local files" tab, and click "Verify integrity of game files".

Lazlo and Traveller13 like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I have had problems with Steam Downloads a few times, no rhyme or reason.

Have to uninstall the steam version and get new one every time I have had this problem.

Soooo - uninstall the steam version (might have to hard delete folder if does not work first time)

if still persists post in tech forums with as much info as you can

5. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

You may want to reinstall the game but before doing that try this:

Open a "Run As.." dialog by holding the Windows Key + "R".
    When the dialog opens type "dxdiag" (without quotes) and press OK.
    Switch to the "Display" tab and verify that "DirectDraw Acceleration", "Direct3D Acceleration" and "AGP Texture Acceleration" are enabled.

The message in the box should indicate no problems.
    If there are errors you may need to update your Direct X
    Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Also check for the latest Nvidia drivers. (there was a recent update to the Alienware drivers)
    My Alienware is having issues updating the drivers so there may be an issue with the new drivers.
    I have not updated mine because of the error in the new drivers. (runs fine with the older drivers)

http://www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html

One other thing you may do is to disable the Nvidia drivers for SOTA.
    It will run slower but if it runs you will know it is the Nvidia drivers.

Hope this helps

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Switching to Windows 8 Compatibility Mode sometimes helps. Go to your SoTA exe, right click, properties, compatibility tab. If it is a client issue you may at least play this way until the problem is identified and corrected.

7. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I have the same problem. It’s a problem with the 3d acceleration. With my GeForce card dxdiag shows 3d acceleration “not available”. I have done everything and I still get the problem like 50% of the time. Game will work fine sometimes but then the next time I play it it won’t launch at all, just gets the same message you get. Reinstalling java worked once but then on the next launch it crapped out again. All drivers and everything is up to date and correct. It has to be some problem with the launcher not switching from on board video card to graphics card.

8. Thadeus Crook

Thadeus Crook Avatar

If you've recently installed Windows 10 Fall Creator's Edition, this might be your problem. Try rolling back to a previous windows build and see if that fixes it.

9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I've relocated this to the bug forums

10. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As others have suggested, my recommendation would be to attempt a clean reinstallation of the game on Steam if file validation does not do the trick. Please rereport if this issue persists after this step.

11. Torulopsis

Torulopsis Avatar

Thanks for all the very detailed advice! My problem still persists after the following has been done/checked:

1) Verified game files - one file required reacquisition, but didn't fix problem even after restarting Steam afterward. Repeat integrity was at 100%.

2) DirectX Diagnostic Tool - Version is 12. Under "Display" Tab all three features were "Enabled" and under Notes "No Problems Found." Under the "Render" tab, Direct 3D acceleration was "Not Enbaled" and Notes "No Problems."

3) I uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Steam Client.

4) I uninstalled and reinstalled SOTA.

5) My Windows: "Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.125"

6) I had previously placed game in "Windowed Mode" at the suggestion of a colleague.

I plan to next try rolling back the NVDIA drivers since I believe I had updated them through GeForce not that long ago. I will keep you all posted. If any other suggestions in the interim, then I am all ears!

12. Attenwood

Out of curiosity, is this when attempting to play Multiplayer Online, or Offline?

13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Do you have any short cut parameters? in the past many people added parameters, there have been a couple that were retired.

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

So...
    Ever since I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creator's Edition then I only get a black blank screen when trying to play SotA.
    Tried with both through STEAM and the Launcher, the launcher shows in the tray but doesn't show its window.
    When launching game the windowed screen goas black, but then it seems to load for a bit, and after about 15s it switches mouse pointer. After that - nothing.
    Tried clicking where the buttons usually are - nothing happens.

I can however switch to STEAM overlay and that works perfectly and I can click through from there. So it runs normally for the overlay.
    But anything SotA doesn't run except for the black blank screen.

Tried Win8 mode, tried gfx drivers, etc. No change.
    Tried uninstall - install both in STEAM and Client - No change.

Tried login in with admin/run as admin - No change.

Tested other games including Unity games and they work just like before the win update- so it is just SotA.

So now I'm looking at having to rollback a win update which wouldn't make me happy.

15. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Spoon you mention trying the launcher, have you tried removing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar from the registry in case it has odd settings stored in there? I understand that steam moves stuff elsewhere.. but if you can find them.. same idea would apply it would reset back to default everything (bar the stuff in the settings files) but this is windows locations, resolutions and the like

PS I have an alienware desktop and laptop both run sota, and are on the latest windows update - it should be possible!

Spoon likes this.
  16. Attenwood

Did the suggestion above assist with this issue? We haven't experienced this problem yet, and as of yet have no other reports of the game getting stuck in a Black Screen state.

17. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I am experiencing the same thing after the latest Windows 10 update. The screen remains black but I do hear the game music.

18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@jschoice did you try any of my suggestions - im guessing if you use an MS video driver it maybe messing something up

19. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

@liz_the_wiz I did not because I am a computer novice and I have no idea how to access or make changes to my registry. My NVidia drivers were all updated and the game worked fine it was only after this Windows 10 update

20. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@jschoice

The following - assuming you are not on steam as I cant verify steam locations cos I wouldnt use it
    Make sure you arent running sota
    in the search bar type: regedit

it looks a bit like a whacked out folder structure on your pc
    navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar

it should look a bit like this:
    [​IMG]

right click on the "Shroud of the Avtar" keyname on the left and select delete. It is OK the world wont implode. Once done, close regedit.

that will be like youve never run sota you've removed the settings

Now run sota and it should be like new - and hopefully it will show things again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.