Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]MAJOR ISSUE regarding lighting and shadows

Discussion in 'Release 41 Bug Forum' started by bloodluv, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

Before in my house my many different light sources (candles/lantern/torches) would create their own unique light sources and shadows.

Now none create any shadows. The wall torches will create a faint shadow, but only when i walk up to them. (all graphics setting to max)

I tried turning off ALL candles, torches and lanterns, but after turning all light sources off, there is a obvious problem! The place is still very BRIGHT! There's still light sources from somewhere! and no shadows are being cast!

Yet i can still walk outside and see shadows during the day from the sunlight and at night from the street lamps!

Something was changed with indoor lighting and shadows, and has completely destroyed the ambiance i once had with my indoor lighting and shadows

(i wanted to mention that before, the spiders (bought from item store) i have hanging on my walls next to candles would create their own shadows, but now nothing)

Also, When i first setup and decorated my house it use to be very dark until i placed light sources. After turning off all light sources that i placed it is very bright! it seems that some artificial lighting is coming from somewhere and is causing all the problems.

Another thing i just noticed is the light sources (candles/torches/lanterns) are still creating a light source (without shadow) even when turned OFF!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hello @roosota! Thanks for reaching out. Moving this to the bug forums for it to be discussed and addressed.

Would you be able to provide additional information for us to investigate this possible bug? When last do you recall shadows working for your indoor lights and surfaces? Have you attempted to adjust your video settings to see if anything might resolve this? Have you seen the same break in others' internal home lighting/shadows?

Would you be able to include your system specs, OS, and what build number you were testing on when you observed this issue?

Thank you!

3. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

My rig is 4 ghz i7 6700k quad core
    32gb ram
    nvidia geforce gtx 1080 8gb (latest driver - also tested older driver -same result)
    windows 10 64

Last time they worked without issue has been awhile. 4-5 months?, i havent played much in that time to notice a problem, but id be very surprised that im the only one having this issue, considering i have over 100 games on steam, and around 50 games outside of steam, and ive never had an issue with shadows in any game. (that includes other Unity engine games, like Rust) and over the past 15 years or so of gaming, ever since player and environmental shadows started becoming more detailed, i cant remember a single time i had a problem with shadows in any game.

Ive been messing around and testing. And ive been able to make the shadows work several times now by doing the same thing. It seems to work everytime.

Player placed light sources that cast shadows (wall torches/ fireplaces/ Ornate iron wall light / Ornate iron & wooden Streetlamps ) will not cast ANY shadows until i do one thing that makes it work.

And that is, by going into a basement that has light sources first, then coming back out, all the player placed light sources mentioned above start casting shadows again!

This happens in my house , and i tested it in other houses and outside of player houses in Soltown! Maybe it's because im loading multiple times i dunno!

Here is a video showing that:
    Video first shows no shadows from the Ornate Iron wall light above front door or the wall torches inside, until i go into basement then back out!
    Shadows still popping in and out even tho Shadow Distance set to Maximum
    Wall torches arent displaying the proper shape of shadow

Also no candles are casting shadows, and at this point i doubt they ever did. You would know if they do or not, but my placed candles and other player placed candles and even npc candles placed in npc buildings dont cast any shadows ever! Also my Iron Latern doesnt cast any shadows, But the Latern in the merchant building in Soltown does!

Now ONLY the Tri-Candle will not completely turn off. After turning it off. it actually only goes off for a split second then emits a secondary light source.
    I tested the single candles / wall candles / Silver candlestick / Candleabra and ornate skull candle and ALL actually turn off completely!
    Next video:
    Shadow Distance set to Maximum (Same results when set to Very High)

Video starts out with shadows popping in and out around street lamp in front of my house

0:40 Shadows popping in and out from the wall torches inside

1:29 Tri Candle emitting secondary light source after being turned off (Actually only turns off for a split second, then emits secondary light source)

2:09 Tri Candle in npc shop in Soltown (Same effect, only actually turns off for a split second)

Also notice the Shape of the Shadows cast by the Wall torches in the first and second video, they are both different. Neither one is casting the proper shape that it use to.
    example video:

Let me know if any more info is needed, because this is the only game i really care if shadows are working properly, since i put in around $1000 to this game.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

Markee Dragon's 41 review video

At the very start of the video you can see the wall torches and Fireplace on the other end of the room are not casting shadows!!!!

Markee plays with max shadow distance

Are you guys going to be able to fix this? Hopefully in 42?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.