Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Moon Worship isn't Working

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Senjut, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

1. Title: Moon Worship not adding Dexterity
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? No
    4. Details: Moon Worship is supposed to add to Dexterity, like Sun Worship adds to Strength, only during night hours instead of daylight hours. It isn't adding any dexterity, ever.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Put points into Moon Worship, watch your dexterity.
    6. User Specs: N/A
    I posted this way back in R40 bugs (https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../moon-worship-not-increasing-dexterity.85780/) and got a response that the bug was entered, but it's never been fixed. As a ranged player, it really "bugs" me that I cannot use this innate skill to raise my dexterity during night hours (plus how ever many hours I add via the companion skill Moon Eater). Since the Sun Worship skill works, it seems like this would be pretty easy to get fixed.

Can I at least get an update on when this might be fixed? Since it is there in the game and not working at all, can you say whether you intend to get it working by release?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Alley Oop and Mac2 like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. Alley Oop

...although i do need to point out again that the phase of the moon is not currently matching up with its position in the sky...

Lexie likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

...and i just watched mine for a full 70-minute orbit while untraining trip. while it's got nothing to do with night-time, you're right, moon worship is broken. no change at all in a full cycle.

Numa and Rentier like this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I can confirm that I never see this buff activate.

6. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Hoping this gets a response at least. OP perhaps should tag you know who.

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Just cos you dont see a buff as an icon - do you not get the benefit?

8. Alley Oop

Nope. Watched my dex, not my buffs.

9. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I thought @Lexie would pop up here by now but it is the holidays. :)

The biggest thing I'm looking for is for this to at least get tagged as [Known] or some explanation why it's not a bug.

Also just a side note...if it really is based on when the moon is up and not just night time hours plus whatever additional time from Moon Eater, then that's really pretty weird. I know they worded it that way, but I'd like to hear that's really what they intended. It makes more sense as sort of the opposite of Sun Worship, imo. Plus it just kind of weirds me out that I can apparently then anticipate the shattered moon rising via the Moon Eater skill. :) But on a more practical note, it seems to me that by combining Sun Worship + Sun Eater the idea is that you can through skill increase extend this buff basically around the clock, and I would think Moon Worship would be the same.

Lexie likes this.
  10. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Senjut hehe yup, I was out getting recharged for 2018 :) But I did keep my eyes and ears open for anything really bad if it were to happen, I promise.
    I had asked the same question you did previously to the dev, and you are correct - the moon has to be out and over the horizon. Whether it is night or day. The same goes with the sun. It's cool to be able to add additional hours via Moon Eater but I admit it does make testing and verifying a little bit complicated.

Another thing is some planets look like Earth's moon and can get mistaken for it. But the moon in -game is shattered, VERY distinctive.
    If that is in the sky (I mean, you can SEE it) and the dex remains unchanged I'd love a screenshot. Please make sure the compass is up in the picture. I can copy that date and time as a repro case, but what is more important is seeing the moon above the horizon as well.

Side note: I tried modifying the date and time on the dev server to try to repro this myself, but I can't seem to get the moon to appear. And I don't want to risk breaking space and time any further, opening up another dimension or something :p
    I suspect something is going on as well.

@Alley Oop
    I'm not really understanding the bug report you linked. Can the moon not be full when it comes up for the evening?

11. Alley Oop

whether the moon is full depends on where the sun is. for the moon to be full when it rises, the sun needs to be setting at the same time. that way they're opposite each other in the sky, so the full visible side of the moon is getting sunlight. in that bug report, both the sun and the moon were setting. that means the side of the moon that's in sunlight is the side facing AWAY from the viewer and we'd see it as dark: new.

Rentier likes this.
  12. Alley Oop

my train dex is at 81: 40.5 should be added to the base 10. i'm not wearing any dex-giving gear. paperdoll reports it as 50, /stats reports 50.5. moon worship is at 60 and so should be adding 6.

...and when the glowing portion of the moon finally struggles over the horizon, it is.

[​IMG]

i am still suspicious of the discrepancy between moon position and reported phase: perhaps it's only kicking in when both measures agree it should be? i'm gonna watch this day until dex resets to 50 and see if the moon is visible when it does.

13. Alley Oop

...and i'm an idiot. daedalus' orbit is seven nbt days, seven earth hours. 70 minutes, one full cycle of lunar PHASES, is so quick because of the quick orbit of the sun, but there should be full 3.5 hour stretches where moon worship does not kick in as it has nothing to do with phase, and my previous observation of 70 minutes could have been entirely in one such period.

(the phase reporting is still bugged, though.)

14. Alley Oop

okay, about 3.5 hours. seems to be correct.

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

<<<Confused. Wondering why I trained this? For what it is worth, training moon worship takes a long time. I try to watch the progress bar but have never seen it move (though it does). Got to thinking that something is happening to advance the training. Therefor, something triggers the training, but like @Alley Oop , I cannot see an obvious change in dex and have assumed because the amount is 0 to 3.5 (or something like that), 0 change could be possible and I would not see a change.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  16. Alley Oop

it's working. i watched it be active for 3.5 hours this morning.

Lexie and Aldo like this.
  17. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

@Lexie Yeah, it is working when the moon is above the horizon, I was finally able to catch it. I guess what's really weird to me then is that the sun is up every NBT day, at regular times - right? But the moon only seems to be up here and there (I tried following what @Alley Oop said about the phases but to be honest I got lost). So Sun Worship works as a regular thing every day, and I'm able to extend it as again a very regular thing...but Moon Worship actually works off a moon that shows up at much longer intervals? Does the moon ever show up in the daytime?

I mean, this just seems like a really weird thing to develop, you know? I can tell when the sun is up if I'm underground because of the time of day, and see that I'm getting extra strength. But for me at least, the only way I can tell the moon is up is to pop my head above ground and get to high ground to search the horizon (yeah, all broken up it's pretty visible...but not so much in a town). As skills go...that's a pretty weird skill...especially as part of a class that's supposed to be around being a rogue/nighttime and so dex should be really important, but some nights ya got it and some nights ya don't?

Know what I'm saying? Weird dynamic.

Or am I missing something about the sun actually not being up at regular times every day? I'm pretty sure I can watch that strength pop right when I expect it, very regular.

If this is really what Port wants, then maybe you should have a buff icon for these, or at least put them in the /stats file as separate objects. But I have to say, it's not very good Truth in Advertising...when you go through the skills trees, it's really easy to assume one is daytime and one is nighttime, and "when the moon is up" is just pretty language not intended to be taken literally.

Rentier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.