Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Mouse does not work in opening menus (Blocker)

Discussion in 'Release 43 Bug Forum' started by Jesterhead, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesterhead

Jesterhead Avatar

1. Title: Mouse does not work in opening menus (Blocker)
    2. Reproduction Rate:100%
    3. Blocker? Yes
    4. Details:
      SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.626.Date.07.05.17
      Symptoms:
      Upon game launch, the main menu screen loads and music plays as expected, however clicking on the "Play" button seems to yield no effect. I can progress to the next screen by pressing "enter" on my keyboard, but the problem follows to the next screen as well ("you are entering a construction zone" screen). Again, I am able to progress to the main menu by pressing "enter" where I am presented with the normal options (play online/offline, view intro, options, and quit). However, at this point pressing enter no longer yields any effect. Tab then enter/spacebar doesn't seem to allow me to progress to the login screen either.

What I've tried:
      Validated game files 100%, uninstall/reinstall. No change.

Backstory:
      I had just come back from taking a bit of a break from the game and initially, everything appeared to be working great. I moved from ardoris to malice, where the game crashed on me. Top (linux application) indicated SotA was still running in the BG and I could not force kill. I also noticed in steam that the new update was being downloaded at the same time. I updated my system (archlinux: pacman -Syu) then rebooted my machine, let the game update complete, and launched again, when I discovered the mouse no longer appeared to work.

5. Steps to Reproduce: Launch Game
    6. User Specs:
      Arch Linux 64bit
      Amd FX-4100 Quadcore
      16G RAM
      Radeon RX-480
    On an unrelated note: in my short gameplay i noticed a lot of changes and things are looking great! keep it up devs!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Have you attempted reinstalling the game client? This does not appear to be an issue observed across multiple players. Have you attempted double-clicking as well?

3. Jesterhead

Jesterhead Avatar

As previously mentioned, i have attempted validating game files and uninstalling and reinstalling.

to answer your latter question, yes i have tried left clicking, double clicking, right clicking, right double clicking, left+right clicking, all manners of clicking. thank you for addressing this in a quick manner.

edit: if there is any additional data i can gather to assist please let me know.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. Jesterhead

Jesterhead Avatar

a workaround has been discovered. I run 2 monitors and if i move the running client "window" to mon 2, the mouse clicks (position??) is recognized. i say "position" because i also see icons highlight as expected, which was not occuring before. so perhaps even though the game client shows the mouse cursor moving on the screen, the logic thinks the cursor is elsewhere? regardless. moving to mon2 lets me click appropriately and i can then move it back to mon1 where the functionality remains fixed. the ease of this workaround grants me the ability to consider this a non-issue, though i'll leave it up to you folks if you need additional info/want to try fixing.

additional info, perhaps useful: i actually am configured for 3 monitors but my third is currently being used in a pet project. so perhaps the xorg config was also interfering after my reboot mentioned above.

5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

This is on the Known Issues List.
    [Known]Mouse left click not functioning with login screen [Linux]

6. Jesterhead

Jesterhead Avatar

the only difference with what is described is that whether or not the client is fullscreen has no bearing on this issue (i did attempt switching to and from fullscreen since my initial post). only moving the screen to another monitor seems to resolve this issue.

i3wm as well to confirm.

7. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Did you edit your prefs file to start in windowed mode?

8. Jesterhead

Jesterhead Avatar

ah i see what youre getting at. "no" to answer directly. i3wm has a fullscreen hotkey which i tried toggling a few times. so it may have technically been "fullscreen" the entire time. regardless, switching monitors remains to be the quickest and easiest solution to this dilemma (i3wm also has a hotkey for that which makes it easy). If devs want to lump this with the known issue listed *shrug* who am i to say otherwise.

9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Then it sounds like what @Alley Oop was experiencing, sometimes had to switch between fullscreen and windowed a few times before mouse clicks would be picked up correctly. I just set the game to windowed mode before I log off and change it back to full screen when it starts up. I think this should be fixed in R44 when Port update to the latest Unity patch.

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

not exactly; i don't use full-screen mode at all. my problem is it doesn't fit to the window properly when launching maximized, and resizing it will force a reset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.