Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info needed] Training in milling swift and batching

Discussion in 'Crafting, Harvesting, Salvage, & Agriculture' started by dorkish, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

coulldn't train all 3 at the same time but once i turned milling trainng off the swift and batching skills started to learn

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I'm trying to repro this. What were you milling at the time? Did you set milling to maintain or not training? (Not training has the - )
    @dorkish

3. Patchup

Patchup Avatar

I am unable to train any of the milling skills except Milling itself. I turned one at a time to learn. The pool continues to go up. This also happened about 1-2 week ago.
    I did use a potion of guidance around a 1-2 weeks ago.
    I also tried turning off training in various different combinations as well as turning training on for all. In this case only milling trained.
    I currently have 51 Batching, 47 Swift, and 70 Efficient. These levels were gained a while ago.

4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@Patchup which items did you craft?
    Batching, swift and efficient only increase with refinded materials (like timber but not boards, poles etc)

Lexie likes this.
  5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Doh. What Rentier said. That is something I forgot to mention. Wood pulp, for example, won't raise these. It has to be recipes under the "Refined Materials" section of the recipe book.

Rentier likes this.
  6. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

ya it's just incostant some items don't give exp turnning off the top milling skill helps the others skills to start training least it's not game breaking just annoying :)

oh and i was using a expert milling station at the time

7. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

I would like to add...using a +5 milling station

If I drag and drop from "My inventory" (a stack of 2K wood scrap) to the "crafting inventory", then click "Wood pulp from scrap" recipe, I am not allowed to craft any quantity.
    However if I double click "Wood pulp from scrap" recipe first (before adding anything to the crafting inventory), a single wood scrap is added to the crafting inventory and I am allow to craft upto 20 pulp.
    Is this as intended?

BTW - the issue of only specific actions (i.e. making pulp does not increase batch skill) increasing skill level should be made clear BEFORE release!

8. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

it has always been this way! You do need to add the right number to the crafting area.

9. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

and then the count number can be increased up to 20 (AFAIK it is this way to prevent bot crafting)

10. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

So I can put "1" item into the crafting inventory (from my inventory) and tell the recipe to make 20 of things and the recipe will pull what it needs from my inventory, BUT I can not put 20 items into the crafting inventory and tell the recipe to make 1 or more (upto 20 things). How does this make sense?

When I stopped training "Milling" at lvl 42, I was getting 44xp per scrap-to-pulp conversion (started with pool of 20891 ended with 21771, after converting 20 scrap). I paid to learn "Batch Material - Milling" and discovered that changing scrap to pulp does not affect this skill (I do not know what I was getting for xp). Several stacks later I paid to learn "Swift Refine Materials - Milling", hoping that I would gain some skill here. I do not. HOWEVER my character is now only getting 20xp per conversion., with ALL skills set to "Not Learning". Is this working as expected? I can not unlearn the skill lvl 1 to recheck my calculations.

11. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

because only 1 item is put on the table for this at a time.. you then tell it to be repeated 20 times.

if you were making instant coffee, you wouldnt put 20 spoolfulls of coffee in a cup, you would make 20 cups

12. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

@hearsehauler the XP you get for crafting depends on many things (time since last crafting, count of crafted the same, exceptional crafting...)

the first time you do craft a item you get a large amount of XP e.g. 500XP
    the second time and each following crafting it decreases rapidly till it reaches it's minimum XP e.g. 20XP

each time you craft you have the chance to get an exceptional item which give 5 times the XP you normally would get

AFAIK if you didn't craft it for a long time the XP you would get can rise again

13. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

Thanx for the feedback on crafting XP :)
    Where is this info documented?
    Is it plainly posted and I just glossed over it? :oops:
    Or does one have to delve deep to find it?:confused:

14. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

There is no documented Info for that

I did a lot of crafting to find it out (all crafting skills set to maintain and then screenshotting each advance in XP)
    sometimes with a new release the XP amounts change for new recipes

on sotawiki we try to add the amount of min-XP you get, but it's a lot of work to do all recipes and change the pages accordingly

The first time you craft an item you get 25times the min-XP (I researched mainly with for food - I do lots of cooking and butchery recipes but i also did some checking of other skilltrees like carpentry milling textiles tailoring and each show the same behaviour so far)
    e.g. Venison meat starts with 500XP and ends at 20XPper crafting (failure gets you the same XP without consuming your carcass)
    whereas Wolf Meat starts at 2000XP and ends at 80XP
    each Obsidian Meat starts at 2500XP and ends at 100XP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.