Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Inital proximity aggro needs review

Discussion in 'Release 50 Feedback Forum' started by sgl2586, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgl2586

sgl2586 Avatar

It is taking about 150 points of damage to get an undamaged mob to overcome the inherent aggro of 'this m*fk is too close to me'. Now that (in most cases) aggro is working as it should with aggro decay, can this be examined? This doesn't feel appropriate.

Salix, Elwyn and Ajivani like this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah aggro is still ...weird.
    I've had mobs walk right by me, to attack my party member who is some meters behind me because they started gathering a cottonbush.
    I've had mobs disengage from combat to go close a door. Which while hilarious, didn't make much sense, lol.
    Same thing with someone a good distance away casting a heal out of combat to top themselves off, and a mob disengaging from me, while I'm HITTING it, turning their back to me and going after the other member of the party.
    Same thing with mobs randomly turning to bite another member of party despite my initial proximity aggro engagement and first hit on it and generally higher DPS, they still decide the new low lvl player I'm with looks tastier even though quite often the damage they are doing is negligible.

I'd love to have some more explanation on this aggro system.

Salix likes this.
  3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

Escape also doesn't appear to do anything - I can literally NOT DO ANYTHING except stand there and look pretty in the monkey room (not even AEing) and I will get attacked right off that bat by the third wave of monkeys, even though I am standing behind my guard-ranger (as a non Death and fire using caster, I have learned to take melee classes with me everywhere to kill things for me.) If I use Escape as either a single or a five stack (the skill is GMd) it doesn't appear to make the monkeys lose interest in me. My guard-ranger shooting them in the back works, though.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Basically it seems like sight aggro is way too strong, and you really have to beat on the mob to turn it away from the initial sight aggro. This is equivalent to the mob thinking "Hey, look at that rube, I'm gonna roll him! Hah, his friend just shanked a hole in me, but who cares, I'm too busy trying to get to that guy who did nothing but walk in front of me!"

The way aggro worked in FFXI, initial unsolicited aggro (not generated by an action on the mob) was basically "you're on the hate list now, but with zero hate points". The slightest action on the mob from someone else would get its attention. Just getting a pet to attack should immediately override initial sight aggro.

Aggro distance is another thing that I think is too sensitive, especially in the tiny, cramped, older scenes, but this bothers me more.

This is not necessarily strange. Someone in a group dumping big heals should be considered a threat. This was certainly a thing in FFXI, especially at mid levels right after getting that shiny new higher-tier heal spell. FFXI was also big on "hate reset" moves, which usually also did big damage to the target, thus giving the healer a reason to heal spam and take aggro from it. Fun times!

5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Important detail: did they tell you "you and me !" after that ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.