Instruments in game

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by Beli, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beli

Beli Avatar

I still dont know what instruments we will be able to play in game and if we are going to ABC, but I really would like to see this instrument in. hammered dulcimer.

2. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

I doubt we'll see that in game, but I share your interest in it all the same. We have piano and lute confirmed afaik.

3. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

I have a moderate amount of skill at mallet-based music - Many of the songs I've done for SotA, while mostly MIDI, also include me playing on one of my slatted instruments. (I've got a marimba, a glockenspiel, and a few others) I don't have a hammered dulcimer, but I do love how those things sound! At a Renaissance Faire a few years ago, I ran in to someone who was playing one for a crowd of people and he was kind enough to let me try it out. I wasn't very good. :) It's got a really different feel than I'm used to, the mallets literally "bounce back" and it really messed my timing up. You need a really speedy, light touch to do it right. I'd love to get one and practice!

Anyhow, regarding getting a playable one in game? They are definitely very "period", so I don't see a problem from that direction. I figure that even if it doesn't get in to chapter 1, all they would need to implement it in subsequent chapters is a "hammered dulcimer" Unity 3D object and clean samples of each note. With those two things, Portalarium would just need to recycle whatever code used for the other instruments that are already in game, and they'd be all set. I bet we've got people who could do that among us, somewhere. If we (the community) do most of the work, assuming what we produce is of quality, I'm sure they'll take the time to implement it. If you really think you'd like to see one in-game, see if you can gather some support!

4. Dougyfresh

Dougyfresh Avatar

Well I happen have a dulcimer sample, it may not be the best, but struck instruments sample well. Here is an example.

5. Holt

Holt Avatar

It shouldn't be that difficult to fill out samples of a few octaves of many medieval instruments. Poets' Circle would be happy to help -- this (and in-game theatre) was one of the original stretch goals that got me mega-excited during the kickstarter.

6. Beli

Beli Avatar

Well piano and lute is just for starters, I am sure there will be many more instruments. we havent got to the flutes and horns yet. Know its way down the road but we will see.

Oh and lets not forget percussion

Sir Stile Teckel, Arianna and Gaelis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.