Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Stevro, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monxter

monxter Avatar

LB has said that player created items will end up as loot, so it'll likely be a major part of the item rotation in the game. I like the idea a lot!

BillRoy and Ara like this.
  2. 2ez

2ez Avatar

My vote would be for no insurance. Full loot is important to a game like this in my opinion and is a huge part of the thrill that brought me to and kept me playing UO. Besides newbie gear and purchased items (House deeds for backers, etc) I think everything should drop. Since it has already been stated multiple times this will not be a grind or item bonus type game there is no need for insurance. If you do happen to have a rare weapon then the risk of using it in the field should apply. If you desire to bank it and never use it that is your option but to have any bonus in the field should come with the risk. Just my two cents :)

Ara likes this.
  3. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I'm going to chime in here with a little something that I haven't seen mentioned at all in this thread.
    So with the advent of AOS and insurance players got what? Lot's of new awesome and ultimately powerful gear aspects. Players got an insane bump in every possible aspect in the power department.
    What did mobs get?
    Everything from Mongbats to Ancient Wyrms were still the pre AOS Mongbats and Ancient Wyrms for the most part. There really wasn't an AI restructure. No great abilities added to them. That Ancient Wyrm was still a pretty awesome creature when compared to other monsters. But at the end of the day it was just given a resist spread that "made sense" It spit big nasty fireballs. It spammed random spells based on a RNG depending on it's mana pool and magery skill. Took melee swings if it was close enough. And mindlessly lumbered after you. Just like a Gazer, Lich, Bogle, Titan, Zombie or Ratman would.
    Every mob from classic Brittania, Lost Lands and Ilsh stayed exactly the same in skill and behavior.
    Players were given 45 hci and dci. Faster swinging and harder hitting weapons. Their weapons absorbed life, mana and stamina. Even took away the mobs ability to hit and dodge themselves with hit lower attack and hit lower defense.
    In my opinion the change was good for adding variety but it was also bad because no variety was added to mobs.
    Now if every variety of mob would have been given perks and abilities it would have been a different story. Dragons were turned into fast moving, fire breathing magical forces of destruction. Something to be feared and revered from everyone in the lands.
    Undead were given powers to detect life, damage or drain attributes on a more lasting basis. Cause diseases. Create spawn from victims. I don't even want to think about Liches.
    These mobs were great when they were in their primes but fell to the wayside. The field had a better balance when players were just as finite in power as the mobs were. You didn't run in and tank and spank an Ancient Wyrm, Shadow Wyrm, Balron or Succubus.
    I could care less if there's an insurance system or not. As long as the challenges from quests and everything stay challenging.

BillRoy and Sir Avorin Swftslay like this.
  4. Poxy Threefinger

Poxy Threefinger Avatar

Also, no ghost cam's! :)

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Insurance. Yes please.

Full loot is not a necessity.

6. Sean

Sean Avatar

I liked having my really special items blessed with expensive rare deeds that way u could still use your uber gear but would hafto really think what items u will bless as the deeds will be hard to come by... im against insurance, i enjoy playing PK and without item insurance it makes PK more viable :)

7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I see no need for insurance if there is no full loot.

If there is full loot, then yes, insurance please.

8. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

This is hard to really talk about till they give more info about the PVP aspect of the game and as other has said... no loot no need for insurance.

Ned888 likes this.
  9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Then there wont be a full loot option.

Insurance in UO after Age of Shadows ment in practice everything worth anything was never lootable. Everyone had everything insured.

So insurance is the same as no full loot option.

Ned888 likes this.
  10. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think that might be evidence that people playing UO, even the ones in Felucca didn't like full loot. The game gave them a way to keep their stuff and they paid the gold to keep it. It was almost universal that the good gear was insured.

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

I think you totally misunderstood the felucca players that played before Age of Shadows (implemented insurance and gear based PvP).

Felucca players didnt accept insurance and gear based PvP and just about all of them left the original game for the freeshards.

I find it amusing that some seem to feel the need to twist the truth about what really happened in felucca to suit their own agenda.

Insurance and gear based PvP ment that felucca died.

12. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

If they do have insurance I would prefer to have some limits on it, other wise there would be no point to having any type of looting enabled, or make the price for insurance high enough to deter it being used absolutely everything.

13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I only stated that people who could get insurance did get insurance when they could get insurance. I didn't twist the truth, nor did I in any way misrepresent what you said. Adding caveats (i.e.- before AoS) to your argument does not change the basic facts.

I started playing UO in 1998, right before Second Age was released. It was still the wild west back then so I understand what it was like in it's original form. I also know what it was like after the split. Further, I just cancelled my account 2 years ago, so I've been playing for a bit to say the least. Please don't assume that all who post an opposing view are misinformed.

You are being defensive for some reason and I don't think it's necessary.

Edit: Here's what Wikipedia says concerning the AoS expansion:

The months following the release of Age of Shadows saw a significant exodus of veteran players from Ultima Online. Many players insisted that the new brightly colored items detracted from the game's atmosphere strongly. A further, more serious criticism, was that the new item system broke Ultima Online's long-standing tradition of being skill-based in favor of an item-based system. This was exacerbated by the fact that the expansion's release roughly coincided in time with an increase in the subscription fee.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  14. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes you did twist the truth when you claimed players that was in felucca before Age of Shadows wanted insurance when they did not. They hated it.

They left the game for that reason and gear based PvP.

This is what you said and that is not the truth what happened in felucca.

Felucca players loved full loot and the risk vs reward game.

Defensive?

Just point out what happened.

15. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

They all did huh? I frankly don't believe you can back that statement up, you are speaking in absolutes which is never a good thing. If they didn't want or need it then why did they get it? I would imagine that there was a fairly sizable group of players lobbying for it or the development team would never have even gotten the bug in their ear.

Once again, this is your perspective. You do not speak for all the players of UO, further there is a lot of information around the internet which doesn't even mention the reasons you do for the players leaving the game.

You need to relax and stop calling me a liar when you can't even back up your own statements. It's rude.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

I played in one of the best PvP guilds that did nothing else then compete with other guilds in felucca. We did just that from Europe shard started up until some week/months after Age of Shadows.

The guilds we fought all left UO felucca after Age of Shadows. I was there and dont need to back anything up. And exactly where would i get those numbers from? EA? LOL. Players that played felucca before Age of Shadows know the truth, wether you believe me or not i couldnt care less. I just dont like that some try to rewrite UO history and what happened with the game and what new features had what impact on felucca UO. And if you feel me calling you a liar is entirely up to you, i call it twisting the truth to fit an agenda that full loot was not what felucca players wanted.

EA introduced Age of Shadows cause they wanted to earn more money. They didnt care if the old felucca players lost their game. It was money talks, nothing else.

GimmeUOPlz likes this.
  17. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

Yeah insurance caused a ton of people to leave UO, such as every single person I played with except one (and me and him quit together a month later).

I'd rather have no looting than insurance. Both are geared towards lazy sandbox-hating people and one doesn't have the extra step of actually paying and insuring items.

Terrible. Not as bad as the jail/justice system ideas being floated around here WAY too much, but its up there on the list of "dear god no!" features.

Yep. I remember being in MIRC for their "discussions" and eventually they completely ignored any questions about PvP and Felucca, which was easy since everyone was muted and we all had to pm a mod to submit our questions. NOTHING has made my blood boil like those "discussions" since then. Quality questions being ignored for some idiot's questions about neon weapons, and if they can possibly please have more neon eyesores covering every inch of the game. GRRRRRRR I'm mad right now just thinking about it!!!!!

Ara likes this.
  18. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

Lol what a community, everyone suggests what actually killed UO.

19. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

*Steps cautiously into the thread.*

So, hey everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I am the one that killed UO.

*Runs away.*

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Ambrosius2

Ambrosius2 Avatar

I can understand your problem, but the life is hard... and everyguy choose what they will want to do... you dont want to die? Stay in village, go in group... If staff put insurance for sure half of the people leave from that game because there is a loss of adrenaline if you put insurance, and I WANT adrenaline, I WANT TO BE SCARED when im in a dungeon, I WANT TO RUN followed by a pk, I WANT TO SAY SOME BAD WORD to the person that will kill me...

SO NO INSURANCE

tamino and Stevro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.